Motown Showdown in '05?

Slalom Skateboarding in the Midwest U.S.A.

Moderators: Christopher Bara, Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Motown Showdown in '05?

Post by Christopher Bara » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:51 pm

There's a good chance the city of Mount Clemens, just outside of Detroit, will give us permission to host a race in '05. This is a mid sized town with a downtown that has a bar-and-restaurant district, a couple hotels and allot of nightlife. We'd get to use a main street that the soapbox derby races use, which starts in downtown and goes over a three lane bridge, over the clinton river, and down the other side. It's not a huge decline but it's a decent hill with decent pavement. It would be a rare opportunity to race in the middle of town and it would be the first skateboard race held up here.....ever?.......
Only issue would be if a race in Detroit in May would generate enough interest for out-of-towners to come to.

so....

If you think you'd want to come to Detroit to Race in early 05, post up or drop me an Email

thanks

Chris B
Kill City Racing

Scott Ward

Post by Scott Ward » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:41 pm

Shoot Chris, I'll come!

Wait a minute, I'm already here.

And I didn't mean to shoot Chris. But then again I do live in Detroit. So watch out Chris.

Scott Ward
Stillboardin Skateboards
Kill City Racing

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:38 pm

well, at least you didnt toss in a "Pocket Pistol" one liner too!

I think we may actually pull it off this time too.

And just look at Mount Clemens, it's got the Hayloft and Post, both big time outside party bars, Emerald Ballroom, Johnny G's, Mothers....a whole row of other bars, a dozen great restaurants and pub&grubs, 2 hotels, it's a car-cruise hotspot, the downtown is lit up and safe....it's a great place to race. And since we'd never get a non-outlaw event in the bigcity, there's probably no better place out here to host out-of-staters.

G and i are talking to the guy that hosts events down there in a couple weeks

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

Post by Lenny Poage » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:51 pm

Any word on the latest developments?

By the way Scott, Jenny mentioned you helped her and my mother-in-law a bit with my Christmas gift. Thanks a million! It's supposed to be warm(er) and dry today and I'm planning on going out and breaking them in.
HOSS

Scott Ward

Post by Scott Ward » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:24 pm

Glad I could help.

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

Detroit race info

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:59 pm

Chris,
Not to echo Lenny's inquiry, but what's the latest word on the Detroit race? Is it still on?

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:00 am

Hey Kev. Here's the gig. Twice a year, there is a big soap box derby event in Mount Clemens, just north of Detroit. It's a small city, with allot of nightlife, restaurants and people on foot...perfect place for a race. I've talked to the guy who runs it to see if we could piggy back on his race and it looks like there woudlnt be time in the day, but he did tell me who to talk to and how to get permits...so it's plausable. The course would start in the middle of the the (small)city, and go over a bridge that crosses a river that runs thru town. That's where the soapbox runs. Only problem now is that since our last thaw/freeze, there's a huge crack in the pavement on the bridge and they coldpatched it. It's fine for auto's and derby cars, but kills the bridge for us. There's another bridge one block up, but i havent had good enough weather to get there and ride over it to see if it will work yet.
Today we got about 12" of snow with 2 foot drifts and the windchill is about 15 below, so it doesnt look like i'll get there anytime soon, but yes, it's still possible...it'd be later in the year....
I was in a funk that whole weekend in WV and need to find some redemption so I'll be out and about this spring too....are you gonna be in Athens?