So...

Airflow Skateboard Trucks

Moderators: Ramón Königshausen, Chris Hart

Casey Franklin

Post by Casey Franklin » Wed May 16, 2007 3:42 pm

*Borat voice* VERY NICE! *Borat voice*

Malcolm Stooke

Post by Malcolm Stooke » Wed May 16, 2007 9:00 pm

i was never a fan of a split on the front. mabey for faster gs it would work but for anything else it turned too slow, it felt like using an rts as a front. imo one truck design cant do both jobs in slalom.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed May 16, 2007 10:37 pm

Malcolm Stooke wrote:i was never a fan of a split on the front. mabey for faster gs it would work but for anything else it turned too slow, it felt like using an rts as a front. imo one truck design cant do both jobs in slalom.
The DHBs who ride front Splits (Evan, Marion, etc.,) did a modification they say exponentially improved performance: substitute a longer kingpin and add a THIRD bushing - one between the hanger and baseplate and two between the hanger and locknut.

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

Post by Lenny Poage » Thu May 17, 2007 3:23 am

Wesley Tucker wrote:
Malcolm Stooke wrote:i was never a fan of a split on the front. mabey for faster gs it would work but for anything else it turned too slow, it felt like using an rts as a front. imo one truck design cant do both jobs in slalom.
The DHBs who ride front Splits (Evan, Marion, etc.,) did a modification they say exponentially improved performance: substitute a longer kingpin and add a THIRD bushing - one between the hanger and baseplate and two between the hanger and locknut.
Worked for me.
HOSS

Greg Ambler

Post by Greg Ambler » Thu May 17, 2007 11:19 am

Hmmm interesting.

So in reality there are only 2 trucks of pro status for the front, Racetrack - X and GOG? Without modification of course. I am leaving out Seismic, it takes a core Seismic enthusiast to ride these.
BTS

BlackTown
...Skates...

Tim Robinson
Tim Robinson
Tim Robinson

Post by Tim Robinson » Thu May 17, 2007 12:21 pm

Greg Ambler wrote:Hmmm interesting.

So in reality there are only 2 trucks of pro status for the front, Racetrack - X and GOG? Without modification of course. I am leaving out Seismic, it takes a core Seismic enthusiast to ride these.

Sounds like you have the sketch pad out Greg?
Do you have access to a lathe?

Greg Ambler

Post by Greg Ambler » Fri May 18, 2007 4:22 am

Brains been active for a while in that department. I cant understand why dudes keep making trucks that you have to wedge to no end just to get them to turn well. Its been 40 years and no one has worked it out yet. They all seem to be taking the same design and making it more fancy and tecnical. Its diabolical!
Forget the lathe, I have access to 2 jet cutters. I have a thousand things going on right now but as soon as i get the time, im on it!
BTS

BlackTown
...Skates...

Carsten Pingel
Carsten Pingel
Carsten Pingel

Post by Carsten Pingel » Fri May 18, 2007 9:25 am

expect s.th. adjustable for the front from G.O.G ! I only don't know exactly when ! :-)
Protos are doing well ! :-)

No wedging anymore ! :-)

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Fri May 18, 2007 12:49 pm

Ok good. We know there are several other good products out there that have their own topics too. So would you please be so kind and discuss those issues in a topic they belong to and return to the original topic:
Lenny Poage wrote:I saw that Sk8kings is now offering Airflow trucks. I've heard of them, but haven't heard any reviews, good, bad, or otherwise, about these trucks. I'm curious. What're people saying?
thanks,
rmn
Feel the flow – Airflow Skateboards

Real skateboard wheels come in green – ABEC11

Enjoy the ride – GOG Slalom & DH Trucks

Paul Howard

Splitfire Front and Back and Airflow OS

Post by Paul Howard » Sat May 19, 2007 11:18 pm

OK:

The Phase One(on the Tracker RT-X baseplate) was made to be a rear truck but if positive wedged 15 degrees it makes a good front end, especially for flat ground tight slalom, it actually produces the sensation of "pulling" you similar to a Radikal front especially if you have developed good front foot technique in a surf stance. This is my ALL TIME FAVORITE REAR TRUCK FOR TIGHT AND TIGHT HYBRID/GENERAL courses. I own 2 and I LOVE them, Just like I LOVE WAX AND GARY. Ok, so that was over the top but I had to do it.

The Phase Two and Three changed geometry and used a new hanger that fit onto both a Randall II baseplate for use as a front truck or Randall Downhill baseplate for a more dampened rear truck. Good trucks, good traction, very stable at high speed but I just couldn't get the front to turn as much as I wanted for Tight courses but great for bigger courses.

The "Pro(?)" was a Phase Three with the addtion of a ball-bushing or knuckle-bearing built into the hanger to interface with the kingpin to remove all slack and slop and make for an immediate precise response similar to the Radikal. I never owned or rode one since I posess plenty of trucks already, but everyone I've talked to likes them.

In Comparison, the Airflow OS is very similar to the Splitfire Phase One and one of my slalom buddies we will call Pat Chewning is bigger than he used to be and his Airflow OS's have held up spectacularly and since Splitfires are currently not being made, I would get and Airflow OS if I wanted a good simple reliable rear truck. I don't know what the pivot screw is like, but if it's an allen-key hex screw and not rounded, just fill the hex-hole with JB Weld brand metal epoxy, bake it for one or two hours at 200 degrees to make it harder and cure faster, then put it in an electric drill or lathe and use a fine toothed metal file to round it to a sphere and polish it off with some emery cloth.

That's my story and I'm sticking too it. Wax or Gary can correct any incorrect details of my post. Good Luck - Paul
I just dig slalom!