Capitola Classic Spring 2006

Slalom Skateboarding in California

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Judi Oyama
JudiO
JudiO

Capitola Classic Spring 2006

Post by Judi Oyama » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:31 pm

I'm currently in the early stages of putting on the Capitola Classic Race next year. I'm curious how many skaters would attend? I'm thinking sometime in May. I'm trying for the same hill as in the past years. We would only get the hill for the final round of riders or about 6 hours. Most likely a two lane hybrid since the road isn't that wide. Men's, Women's and Kids. It is a fast foot brake hill.
<p>
Plans are a Saturday single lane Giant Slalom qualifying course in Aptos or Santa Cruz the day before for bracketing.
<p>
Hotels are close (less than a mile away) and will give us a discount. I have many sponsors interested. Skateboards.com, Santa Cruz Surf Shop and Skate Shop our backing my efforts. I have to get a permit and work out the rest... Jack Smith is letting us use his ramps. (Thanks Jack. Dan G will be our ever patient timer.)
<p>
More info to come with photo's and details.
<p>
Thanks,
Judi Oyama

Henry Hester will MC the event. Hut is also helping out as well.

alavoine jean paul

Post by alavoine jean paul » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:04 pm

We 'll try to go to the very famous Capitola Classics if you do organize it next year. And I guess some of the French skaters would like to do a downhill race there.

Say hi to Henry H. for me, last time we met was in 86, during the last century.
jean paul aka POPOL:
"I was born yesterday...
but I stayed up all night!"

HUYNH BACH SAC Frédéric
Fred
Fred

Post by HUYNH BACH SAC Frédéric » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:12 pm

One of my dream would be to race in California !!!! I wish it could be in 2006... please let us know !!!

Fred.
Podium or pavement... but PAVEL !

www.coneracing.com

Steve Collins
Harbor Skateboard Racing
Harbor Skateboard Racing

Post by Steve Collins » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am

Sounds like fun. I bet a lot of racers from LA/OC would show.

Did I understand correctly, that one would qualify in GS for Hybrid finals?

Judi Oyama
JudiO
JudiO

Capitola Classic Spring 2006[b]

Post by Judi Oyama » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:42 am

The qualifying will be a slalom course not a GS. Single lane. The Capitola race will be slalom not downhill like before. Long before the Capitola Classic there was a two lane slalom race on that hill. I think it will be more exciting and I want it to be a memorable race like before. Bib numbers, posters, t shirts, trophies and prizes maybe some money if all goes well.
Sorry for the confusion on the GS. It will not be a GS.

Thanks.

Judi O
Last edited by Judi Oyama on Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Judi Oyama
JudiO
JudiO

Re: Capitola Classic Spring 2006

Post by Judi Oyama » Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:51 am

Judi Oyama wrote:I'm currently in the early stages of putting on the Capitola Classic Race next year. I'm curious how many skaters would attend? I'm thinking sometime in May. I'm trying for the same hill as in the past years. We would only get the hill for the final round of riders or about 6 hours. Most likely a two lane slalom course since the road isn't that wide. Men's, Women's and Kids. It is a fast foot brake hill.
<p>
Plans are a Saturday single lane Slalom qualifying course in Aptos or Santa Cruz the day before for bracketing.
<p>
Hotels are close (less than a mile away) and will give us a discount. I have many sponsors interested. Skateboards.com, Santa Cruz Surf Shop and Skate Shop our backing my efforts. I have to get a permit and work out the rest... Jack Smith is letting us use his ramps. (Thanks Jack. Dan G will be our ever patient timer.)
<p>
More info to come with photo's and details.
<p>
Thanks,
Judi Oyama

Henry Hester will MC the event. Hut is also helping out as well.

Pierre-Yves Ritschard
panda
panda

Post by Pierre-Yves Ritschard » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:26 am

Hi judy.
A long travel from europe would be great, I'd like to come and race in california too.
A 3 day event with 2 races (slalom and downhill) would be so nice, do you think there's any chance you can work something out with the local DH boys (like joe lehm).
Well anyway thanks for putting events up and maybe see you next year.

Judi Oyama
JudiO
JudiO

Capitola Classic Spring 2006[b]

Post by Judi Oyama » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:09 pm

Due to lack of interest and not enough feedback. I'm going to put this race on hold. I've started quite a bit of ground work. I'm waiting to find out about the road's future. The pavement is not the best and there are some improvements that need to be made before putting time and money into this venture. I've got support from many important local people and sponsors. Thanks everyone who I have talked with. I'd like to wait and see how many riders are committed to continue racing. If Worlds is any sign of future attendance I would like to see what 2006 has to offer.
<p>
Thanks.