WLAC Nov. 23, 2003

Slalom Skateboarding in California

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

George Gould
AZ G.R.S.
AZ G.R.S.

WLAC Nov. 23, 2003

Post by George Gould » Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:19 pm

I started off Sunday by getting Noah and I lost and on the way to Pasedena. That didn't stop the "Scud" from kicking ass on the hill though!

The Sunday WLAC race tight was exceptionally tight and tech. Rick Howell set it and it was test ridden with a small change and marked. I would not have made the course even a few months ago. To me, it was harder than the Worlds Tight course on Sunday. It started with a good push in, about 8-9 cones pretty even and slightly offset and as the rider began descending, a fast 8 foot gap to kink and then a twitch to a Gilmorian curve. Back into a straight and it became increasingly tighter down to six and a half footers. Even then a rider had to aim for the finish line six foot away. Neither a goofy or regular foot had an advantage, and I won't touch the mongo problem. Everyone who ran clean was cheered by all, Lynn Kramer put in a beautiful clean run. When a seriously fast run was done, even 2 cones down was cheered! Fluitt looked hot. But so did Noah, Barker, Floyd Reid, Richy and David Carrasco, Brent and the rest of the usual suspects. I felt pretty bad for the newer riders as this course was very hard. There were no cone penalty DQ’s, but many riders could and did blow out of the course. I kept going softer with Avalons and wound up on 78a Cambria’s which were too slow to be competitive, but allowed me to be relatively clean. I lent Jack Smith a set of rare red Cambrias and he did well with those on the rear. Of course the fast guys were on harder wheels, mostly Avalons. Gary Fluitt won the T/S with an awesome run.

The G/S was big and sketchy and a lot of fun. This hill claims it’s share of riders and I have fallen here before myself. This time I was a little more conservative, I didn’t slam, but I wasn’t all that fast. Oh well, as Brent said, if you survive this hill you are a winner! MSK, Tim K, and Mark (Coady I think) took some slams. Floyd Reid had a really spectacular run-out, as he was making the last gate before the timing tape, he went off the nose at serious speed, with giant steps he made it! I saw it and still don’t know how he did it. This hill is ruled by softer wheels, Avalons, Avilas, Gumballs and Flashbacks seem to rule.

Rose Bernfeld was practicing with Isabelle, hopefully Rose will be competing soon. Lynn K was charging as well.

Noah Heinle had the fastest time, but got bested by cone penalties (a repeat of JPL) by Richy. Thanks to the Howells for running the show, Tammy Carrasco for timing. Darn near the whole Carrasco clan showed up, it was a pleasure to meet their Mom.

Atilla cut his hand badly, but still showed up in support and helped out at the top of the hill. Bill Wahl broke a finger skating a bowl the day before, he was there but not racing.

Yeah, Scott Peer, that dude on roller blades had the fastest time of the day. Everyone gets along on the hill! There is this old guy named Frank who is about sixty on blades dropping the same course and he is a great guy. There were even some downhill guys that gave it a shot on their down hill decks, they were having a hard time turning, but there might be a little crossover. It was fun for everybody.

During a discussion the night before, we realized that WLAC is the longest running organized race series in the U.S with a history back to 1999! It has a great vibe and everyone gets along. You will learn a lot so show up next year, it is worth it!
Last edited by George Gould on Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:32 am

Thanks for the report George.

Rene Carrasco
TEAM CARRASCO
TEAM CARRASCO

WLAC NOV. 23rd PHOTO'S !

Post by Rene Carrasco » Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:08 pm

! ! ! -NEW PHOTO'S FROM NOV. 23 WLAC RACE ! G.S. event.

.....go to - http://www.renecarrasco.com/_wsn/page5.html

George - thanks for coming out to race @ WLAC !

Hey Adam -how you been?
WLAC is still cookin' !

Take care, ...............................-Rene' CANNONBALL Carrasco !
RENE CARRASCO for - SK8KINGS.COM - Abec 11 Wheels - Tracker Trucks - Khiro Skateboard Products - Nitro Racing Bearings - Vans Skate Shoes !

Rene Carrasco
TEAM CARRASCO
TEAM CARRASCO

THE GUY WITH THE FASTEST RCORD @ WLAC G.S. HILL !

Post by Rene Carrasco » Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:23 pm

RENE CARRASCO for - SK8KINGS.COM - Abec 11 Wheels - Tracker Trucks - Khiro Skateboard Products - Nitro Racing Bearings - Vans Skate Shoes !

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:54 pm

Hey Rene,

I broke my wrist practicing with George, Steve and the AZGRS guys. It was in a cast for three weeks and I couldn't stand it any longer and cut the cast off. It is healing nicely and I've already been pumping around on my Super G PP.

I'll wear wrist guards now and everything is cool, soon I'll be RACING you again.

I'm back really soon, no worries, thanks for checkin on me.

adam

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:04 pm

Cliff Coleman- you are the future, with you breaking ground- I'm not afraid of it anymore-major inspiration to me. As long as you skate, I will never retire.

Ritchie- good job! I'll have to come out and ride with you guys again- waiting for new asphalt.

Noah- way to go bro! hungry. Snow is flying- come and ride.

I'd like to see footage of Reid blasting off the ramp into orbit- any footage?
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour

Rene Carrasco
TEAM CARRASCO
TEAM CARRASCO

The AMAZING Floyd Reid @ WLAC !

Post by Rene Carrasco » Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:38 pm

J.G. -
.............I'm pretty sure Maria [ Richy's better-half ] got it on tape .
....That poor gal was shooting all day ! - - -Always capturing some
GREAT memorable WLAC Racing !

By the way, Floyd did a big run-out on the tight course also - and AGAIN -
HE DID NOT FALL DOWN !
Floyd is an amazing athlete .

I've seen 2 guys run it out like him @ WLAC- and they pulled their muscles and could not continue.

....by the way, that photo I attempted to post above, was of Scott Peer - who has the fastest time on record - for THAT G.S. HILL ! -
Richy is a close 2nd to the FASTEST TIME EVER !

John , you should make a trip and come out again to race @ WLAC -
next season ! - ALWAYS FUN !

Take care, ............................-Rene' CANNONBALL Carrasco !

Gary Fluitt
asphaltplayground.com
asphaltplayground.com

Post by Gary Fluitt » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:57 am

Floyd was the fastest man on two feet for about three seconds that Sunday. I don't think I've ever seen a run out at that speed. Carl Lewis would have been jealous of that acceleration.