slalomranking.com
Ranking, Rules and Discussion for International Slalom Skateboard Ranking

Moderator: Hans Koraeus

Kenny Mollica
Nature Boy
Nature Boy

Buckeye Open

Post by Kenny Mollica » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:26 pm

I was thinking about racing. Should the Buckeye Open be a main race. We want to make it a good one, and think it would make a good large race. We have the hill, the surface, the time to use it and I think the venue lends itself to a larger points race. I will do a good job organizing the action and the courses.

Tway and 66 always talk about the grassrootsness of their races, but they are hogging the points due to the ranking. Lets get you guys back to your roots and let me plant some roots of my own.

Cough the ranking and lets get the Buckeye Party started. I may pay as much as $2500 for first place.

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Time?

Post by Marty Schaub » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:49 pm

Hey Corky, it does not appear that we have as much time to figure this out as we thought. If Kenny wants a main, then that leaves a main and two primes for the Farm, Athens, Dixie Cup, etc. All eastern area races.

As I have stated before, can't we grow this thing to include more available status's since we appear to be stuck with two regions for the ENTIRE US? Why not more status and three regions?

Does it really alter things that much?????
La Costa Boy For Life

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:46 pm

What State is Centrally located in the country? Texas. Austin Texas is centrally located and has an airport that is easy to fly into. What ever status we get for our race is OK with me. As for some of you bros who rammbled on about points earlier, you did this because you all felt you deserved it. My question is where were you two or three years ago. Not on this website or the NCDSA. Yet your opinions were all that mattered. This is our third year hosting our race. We have been blessed to have Keith Hollien and Ricky Byrd come down to race down here in the sticks. To me these bros are like family. I love this sport. Much like Marion, I suck at slalom. But I feel I have improved over the years. I hope we get alot of the GRS skaters to come out and race with us next year at our contest. Many said the last 2 years that it was to far get to, so we have moved the race site to a bigger city.We are not so much aftter points. Attend our contest because you you want to promote our sport. Your Amigo Eddy Texas Outlaws.

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

Post by Marion Karr » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:06 pm

I don't suck that bad do I Eddy? Just joking!

Hope I can figure out a way to get to Texas in Feb!

Marion
Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS
Sk8sville, North Carolina

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

<br>LUCKY 13 TATTOO STUDIO<br>
www.luckythirteentattoo.com<br>
Ninja Bearings
www.skateabsolute.com

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:39 pm

Ok Marion we are not as gifted as C-Bark, Noah, Kenny, Gary F, Chicken, Dong, Richy, 66, Goad, JBH, T Oles, Paul Price, Keith Hollien, Civ + Claude, Luca, Sam Gordon, Martin Drayton, AKI, Hackett, S OlSon, GA Tom, Ricky + Josh Byrd, L Krammer, Terry + Kelly Brown Benko, Judi, Joe I. You get the message but gosh darnit we are STOKED!!!!! Both Continental and Southwest fly into Austin. P S You have to bring WT with you if you come down to race. Your Amigo Eddy Texas Outlaws.

Robert Sydia
Robert Sydia
Robert Sydia

Post by Robert Sydia » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:16 pm

Eddy:

Am I seeing a "grudge match" in the making????

You versus WT??

Wanna be there and wanna bet on the outcome

Keep me in touch

Rob

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

Post by Marion Karr » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:37 pm

Eddy Martinez wrote:Ok Marion we are not as gifted as C-Bark, Noah, Kenny, Gary F, Chicken, Dong, Richy, 66, Goad, JBH, T Oles, Paul Price, Keith Hollien, Civ + Claude, Luca, Sam Gordon, Martin Drayton, AKI, Hackett, S OlSon, GA Tom, Ricky + Josh Byrd, L Krammer, Terry + Kelly Brown Benko, Judi, Joe I. You get the message but gosh darnit we are STOKED!!!!! Both Continental and Southwest fly into Austin. P S You have to bring WT with you if you come down to race. Your Amigo Eddy Texas Outlaws.
Ok...I agree WE DO SUCK! But damn if we ain't got some serious STOKE flowing through our veins!

Your bro forever,
Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

Ninja Bearings
www.skateabsolute.com

Kenny Mollica
Nature Boy
Nature Boy

Buckeye Open, Buckeye State

Post by Kenny Mollica » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:36 pm

I dont REALLY care about the ranking of the Buckeye, but we do live within 500 miles (easy one day drive) from 50% of the North American (including my Canadian brothers, eh?) population.

Chicken, Maysey, Hackett, Evans, and the other Californian's have ever came to the east to race. I think some of them, who are the best of the best would come to the Buckeye. Tway's race is so grass roots that I don't even know most of the guys. They are not part of the US race scene and Tway seems to love the Grassrootsness of it all.

Corky, what do I have to do to get main status? Fluitt, Barker and Mitchell will come to the derby hill, as will other top pros. How many pros do you need for main status.

I thought Hood River was a big one in 2004, but my 5th place at LaCosta in the tight gave me more points than my GS win at Hood.

I dont care about points, I had my time at the top. But I do think that most people do kinda care. Since we are planning a two day race on a World Class hill (that we can have all day with no traffic or any kind of hassles), I think it would be nice if the boys could take home some points along with the cash.

Corky- You and I are slalom brothers. I know we've had our differences in the past, but that's behind us. I am coming to you softly -GIVE ME MY MAIN STATUS.

I hope you know I don't really care, but its the right thing to do. Once you see the hill. Its probably the nicest TS/Hybrid hill I have ever seen. A little to slow for a good GS, but you cant have everything.

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Alternate and Skate

Post by William Tway » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:51 pm

At the moment, the Northeast region seems to have the largest number of slalom racers and The Farm albeit does have a grassroots feel... has become a very big race and is one of the oldest events since the rebirth.

HOWEVER, after attending the Dixie Cup, witnessing all the effort that was put into it and to spread the stoke, Marion, the DHB's and I have all agreed to alternate the statuses of our races. The Dixie Cup will be a Main event in 2006 while the Farm will either be a Prime or a Basic.

Alternating statuses seems to be the best way to go for now until the Mid-West gets their own regional raking system I feel they deserve.

The Farm 6.0pen August 4-5th 2006

The Dixie Cup November 3-5th 2006

The Farm Outlaw Series will tentatively be an 8 race series.
Look for details early next year.
Last edited by William Tway on Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:23 am

Nice plan Tway. I'm a voting member around here and I support it. I hope everyone else will speak up and voice their opinion.

I'll be honest, the reason that I ever cared about points is that I hoped riders from Europe would come, skate, and enjoy our hospitality. It backfired and the Canadians came.

Kenny - It's kind of up to us as a community to develop a fair and equitable plan. I think you have a couple obstacles presently. The foremost of which is the Athens race, which has held Main Status in the past, is being held right about the same time as yours. I don't think we can have two Mains simultaneously.

You and Rick need to state your case, ie venue, courses, prizes, food, lodging, party(?). Will you have A, B, C groups? If I bring my family what will they do? Are there skateparks nearbye?

I realize $2500 in prize money is going to draw the top 8 or 16. You need to draw the other 40 guys too.

I sent you emails offering help. They bounced.

Joe

Marcos Soulsby-Monroy

Post by Marcos Soulsby-Monroy » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:49 am

Ok I know that I'm from the west but shouldn't there be a Major event for the East? I think that the Last race of the year should be that.

Marcos Outlaws

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:00 am

Marcos,

As of right now, the US gets one Major only. It's been suggested it go to the COSS crew, but I don't think they have asked for it ... yet.

Joe

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:29 am

can we get some primes and mains re assigned from usa west to usa east?there does not seem to be much talk of events over there.cfav
Freak Bros. Racing
www.chixillskateboards.com

Marcos Soulsby-Monroy

Post by Marcos Soulsby-Monroy » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:33 am

Joe Iacovelli Posted: 28 Nov 2005 18:00 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marcos,

As of right now, the US gets one Major only. It's been suggested it go to the COSS crew, but I don't think they have asked for it ... yet.

Joe
Damm shows what I know!!
As Luck would have it . . .

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:36 am

Grudge match. Rob you sly dog. You read my mind. WT and I next to one another on the start ramps. Mano ah Mano. Quien es mas Macho. Pulses racing, Adreneline flowing through our veins, the crowd cheering loudly, palms sweaty. I look over and give him that Clint Eastwood glare. The beeps begin. The fight or flight kicks in from the adrenal glands, we both come off the start ramps, what will happen next? Sounds like a Texas Showdown. Both of us have had our share of injuries and yet we are still around. But truly I owe WT a Texas Brew. Your Amigo Eddy Texas Oultaws.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Grudge Match?

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:32 am

"Eddy" who?

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:55 am

I will put my name on the back of my Texas Outlaw shirt so you can read it, when you are trying to catch up to me pilgrim. LETS ROCK!!!!!! Your Amigo Eddy Texas Outlaws.

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

No Action

Post by Marty Schaub » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:44 pm

Cfav,

If you read back in the thread, you will see that we have pontificated everything from adding a region in the US to re-assigning status's from west to east to cover the plethora of races that we have back here.

However, we have been met with what I feel is indifference to these requests. Responses have been lukewarm at best to all of the posts about changing the structure NOW rather than waiting. The truth is is that we have quite a few races vying for VERY few elevated status's. Tway has offered to share his status with the DHB which is VERY cool. However when you look at that I have to ask why should a 6th annual event have to do that in order for newer races to attain higher status?

The solution is change. However people fear change and they fight it. This has been proven over the course of human history. It appears the slalom scene is no different.

What's the best solution? I don't know, but standing pat is really a step backwards. Any body else feel that way? Disagree? I invite debate pro or con.
La Costa Boy For Life

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

One other thing

Post by Marty Schaub » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:49 pm

OBTW,

I just noticed another detail. The East has two Mains and two Primes while the West has 3 & 3. Just food for thought.
La Costa Boy For Life

Mike Cividino

Re: One other thing

Post by Mike Cividino » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:51 pm

Marty Schaub wrote:OBTW,

I just noticed another detail. The East has two Mains and two Primes while the West has 3 & 3. Just food for thought.
good point marty, i dont understand the reluctance to give the us more higher status races. Take the average north american racer and the average euro racer. I know we have been over this many times BUT.... There is only once race I can get to in less that 8 hrs, and thats because its in canada, euros can get to more races in the EU in less time. How about Canada?...im not asking for more status now but if the scene grows in BC than Canada will have to be split into at least 2 regions, it is 5000km from coast to coast...you know, like the distance from France to India.

Why not leave the number of races at 8 for pro and 6 for am and just add 2 or 3 higher status races. I feel as if Corky cannot see the distance issue for what it is, say for example I got Pro next year(maybe), how can I expect to be able to afford to get to that many races? If there arent more options on the east coast than its very hard. The east coast is about the distance from Spain to Sweden in length. The distance factor is Major, but honestly we can say all we want here and the Cork just needs to plug it all up and nothing changes.

The sport has grown faster in the east than anywhere, Aminimum of one more prime and one more main should be assigned to US east.

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:34 pm

I've been reading this thread with indiference for a while now...if only because the answer is clear and nobody is willing to pull the friggin trigger.
The west has (2) big races on the dockets for 06, Hood and Breck. there has been NO talk of anything else.
The East has (4) big races to deal with, Athens, Columbo, Farm and the Dixie. and the promoters of those races can hash out which one goes back to a Grass Roots Prime (anybody who actually considers a MAIN race as Grass Roots is only fooling themselves)

There are a total of (5) hi statuses to dole out in North America
The only reasonable thing to do would be to give the West a Major and a Main
And give the east (3) mains
This really isnt rocket science here folks

All the other BS in here is just that....bs.........stay focused with the topic and the (5) will be (re)distributed correctly .....there's still a few months to go

Or........we could just blow off the whole system for 2006 and do what we want to do....the system is a tool for distributing points.......we all know who the best skaters are...
the "ranking system" is nice to have, but we dont really need it......anybody who feels they NEED the system to prove their worth is missing the point of this whole sport anyway

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:39 pm

Here's a little more food for thought.
Canada is awarded (1) Main and (1) Prime.
Yet in 2005 they only had ONE slalom race in Canada, the Dovercourt. Does that mean the Dovercourt was awarded MAIN status? And if it WASNT given a Main status, then did another one go by the wayside?
I mean, either way, WTF? We're hosing ourselves by not paying closer attention.
I'm not trying to slight the Canadians and what they're doing up there, but the Dovercourt had 26 registered skaters, with the vast majority being from that general area...It's a nice turnout, but more the size of a Prime race.
Maybe it's time to reevaluate the race points there and bring the Canadian Main to the NorthEastern US where there is a larger draw.

Canadians, you probably wont like that idea, but in the big picture, it makes sense

Mike Cividino

Post by Mike Cividino » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:44 pm

Chris, the dovercourt will be main this year I think. Its the third annual and will also be the Canadian championships. The Prime will likely go to either the Quebec crew or the Toronto group. This is the first year that we will be taking advantage of our statuses and we want to have em in place. I think the point of the statuses was to motivate racers to travel to different races, we have to travel a buttload for every race, let us have some in our backyard too. But hey, were close for you guys in Det.

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:38 am

you'll never have to twist my arm to get me to come to Toronto, Civ....i love that town
Just didnt want to see any status races falling by the wayside

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Post by Hans Koraeus » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:31 am

Chris's idea has been a topic behind the scenes. Since it now becomes official I can't resist sticking my nose in again and saying... well there you have it.

Move 1 Main/Prime from the West to the East region. Maybe move the region border a little to the west so that Texas comes into the East region.

And I guess the US nationals get Major status.

Kenny, sure we are slalom brothers. But as far as the Main status I can't give you that status. Only your American slalom brothers can. And after what I saw above after your first post you got it right away. You didn't even have to fight for it. You have some really nice slalom brothers in the USA East region. ;-)

Just wanted to make this post to make it clear that any region changes should be decided before the end of the year. You have one month to get it all (the USA region topic) settled.

And with that maybe the whole seasons Event statuses will get settled as well automatically.

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Points & Statues

Post by Claude Regnier » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:42 am

Sorry but for now we need to keep our points up here. Brad will also likely be running out West. Canada's Slalom scene is growing just like it is around the World.

The problem here is the cost of travel and the actual distance between the few of us there are. There needs to be a way to tranfer unused points from one event to another. This is something that need to be done within the rules. Some of the rules will need to be adjusted.

There were around 20 racers in the 1st Dovercourt Open. 40 in the 2nd. Very few of our neighbours from the south have come up to any of the 5 events held in Ottawa over the last 3 years. We need more support from our neighbours as well. The only American sponsors we had for any of the 5 events was Khiro & Fat Boy last year.

There is supposed to be events in quebec City and hopefully Montreal this year as well. Give it time and make adjustments as required. There should be no waisted points in the system. Modifications need to be done as previously mentioned.

For now you can't have our points. If you want them come and get 'em!
Many Happy Pumps!

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Why add more?

Post by Marty Schaub » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:50 am

OK,

So now we can move one? But you also suggest adding Texas? So you pick up another Main but add another race that deserves at least a Prime status? I feel this exacerbates the situation rather than solve anything.

The West so far has Hood as a Main, Breck as a Major, Texas as a Prime? Why Move Texas into a situation already crowded with Luna, Columbus, Athens, St. Louis, Chicago, The Farm, and The Dixie Cup. That's seven races right there with four elevated statusus and possibly five if you take a West Main.

My point has always been that the East seems to be exploding and needs some status relief. Now that the idea of borrowing seems acceptable why not look at the three region idea for the US?

Corky, could you please outline your objections again or perhaps offer your support. You already pointed out that this may cause you to have to raise the number of races in the rankings to 8. We countered with the fact that (almost?) every race listed has two races per weekend making the number of races you need attend be four.

Where do we go from here?
La Costa Boy For Life

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:05 am

for geographical clarity, the east/west boundary should remain the Mississippi....with St Louis given the option....

West, one major, one main

East, three main

If we can just all settle on that, we can move on to deciding which venue gets what status

There's only 31 days left to figure this out.

We also have to look at the Primes....Either Athens, Columbo, Farm or Dixie would have to become a prime in the East.....
The West Prime's include Golden which may not even go off this year (or better worded, Breck and Golden may be one in the same)
The West has 3 Primes and the East has 2 Primes...this too may need to be addressed

Hans, Fayetteville should be removed in the East...and why is Morro still listed as a Main in the west?....If there's only ONE MONTH to figure this out and nobody from the west is being active on the schedule, then something has to get done here....now

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Post by William Tway » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:20 am

???

If we could add a Main to our region then rotate the circuit annually...bring the Basic Statuses up to Main for '07 and everyone else moves down 3 spots

In no particular order....

Main status subjects (3 Main)
[Main] - Red Clay Cup
[Main] - Dixie Cup
[Main] - Buckeye Open

Prime status subjects (2)
[Prime] - Texas CF
[Prime] - Luna Slalom Jam

Basic Status
- The Farm
- Slalom St. Louis
- Chicago ChiXll

*Hopefully the order can be worked out between the organizers/racers.

Or we can just hash it out every year.

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:49 am

My two cents: it looks like on the calender Red Clay and Buckeye are on the same weekend, a problem I'm not if it's been resolved but I don't think a Main event status should be given to both if they are happening simultaneously.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Red Clay, supporting grass roots skateboard racing since '02

Post by Rick Stanziale » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:33 pm

I've previously pledged supporting "Main" status for the 2006 Luna Slalom Jam in Jackson, Mississippi, even though Byrd hasn't made any announcements.

I still see no problem with having races in different states on the same day, I say it's a fine example of the growth we're experiencing on the east coast. Sure I'll miss seeing some of you that weekend, but it's not like we won't all have the opportunity to race each other over the course of the year.

Athfest is just too good of an opportunity to showcase skateboarding, and a fine time for out-of-towners to visit, skate, & party.
Last edited by Rick Stanziale on Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jadranko Radovanovic

Post by Jadranko Radovanovic » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:49 pm

Athfest is nice !!!

One of the best Party's... 40'000 students !!!

girlsgirlsgirlsgirls......

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:18 pm

4 weeks to go till deadline.
All kinds of people stepping forward East of the Miss
The West's forum is completely quiet.

We have too many races for the Mains/Primes alloted to the East

The west still has one more prime and one more main over the east, and no races posted to fill those slots.

It's time to make the appeal to get one of the Mains and one of the Primes in the west redistrubted to the east, before they get lost in the shuffle.

Corky, what's your process for something like that?

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

Post by Marion Karr » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:40 pm

Christopher Bara wrote: It's time to make the appeal to get one of the Mains and one of the Primes in the west redistrubted to the east, before they get lost in the shuffle.

Corky, what's your process for something like that?
I agree with Chris. Time is moving fast. As I have stated the DHB have left our status up to the others in our region and Tway's offer to share the Main/Prime statuses between the Dixie Cup and The Farm on a rotating basis is a good compromise. I am also very much in support of Tway's suggestion (see his most recent post) to rotate these statuses amoung the different organizations in your region. I do think, however, the movement of one of the Mains and one of the Primes from the West, is a way to support the growing scene we have in the East.

How do we bring this to closure? Questions still need to be answered as to the statuses of all the races: The Farm, Athens, Luna, St. Louis, Chicago, Buckeye Open, and the Dixie Cup.
Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

Ninja Bearings
www.skateabsolute.com

Kevin M. Gamble
Stahlstown, PA
Stahlstown, PA

race statuses

Post by Kevin M. Gamble » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:16 am

I'm sorry, but I don't see how the Farm, a race that has occurred annually for 5 years ends up with a basic status for '06, while the Ohio race ends up as a main, when '06 will be its inaugural event.

The strong history and professionalism of the Farm race should allow it to maintain its main status, or get bumped up to major status.

The Ohio race has no history on which to base a main status, but Kenny's credibility and new pavement possibly allow it to move up to prime status for its first year.

The highly successful Dixie Cup has one year under its belt, so it should be able to move from basic to prime, and possibly to main.

I think that any race that has occurred annually for multiple years should, as the event and its attendance improve, receive the benefit of an improved status, simply because it and its organizers have earned it. Likewise, a race that slowly degrades and loses attendance over the years should have its status lowered accordingly.

But, hey. Its just my opinion.

Why don't we list all of the proposed races for 2006, and then vote on their statuses?

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:08 am

Some of the crew from Buckeye 2005....I'm guessing about the same size as other "traditional races" were in their first years...

Forget all that though...the location is perfect....the pavement is perfect....and it's going to be a big event.....big.....big........flashy...showy....i dunno....maybe we'll get motorhead to play there during the race...the goodyear blimp.....free kegs....the possibilities are endless

Chris Barker

Post by Chris Barker » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:40 am

We have at least 3 races planned in Colorado: Windsor/Greeley, Golden, and Boulder. Because of all the weather issues, Breck is going away. Boulder will be the largest race.
Fluitt and Wax will have more details, but none of us pay much attention to this website.

Why hasn't anyone posted anything on the other website?

One problem with making the Farm or DHB a big points race is that both have limited signups. There will probably be more interested riders than spots to race. The biggest races in the US should be open to anyone, not just the first ones to sign up.

Personally, I am waiting to see what McCree, Hackett, and Smith come up with for their new racing series. The Boulder race should be part of that series. Some of the races will be pro-only races. How will that fit into ISSA rankings? I doubt Mark or Hackett are making that a primary concern.

Regarding the ISSA points, I find it very disappointing that DHB 2005 could not get the status from the cancelled WV race. Yet, a 30-cone indoor parking garage slalom race in Sweden has gained Prime status. What does that say? Sounds like a fix to most of us on this side of the ocean.

I will still try to come to Buckeye, Farm, DHB, Luna, and Athens regardless of how the points are divided up.

Kenny Mollica
Nature Boy
Nature Boy

Scarlet & Grey Clay Cup

Post by Kenny Mollica » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:42 am

I was thinking about changing the name to the Scarlet & Grey Clay Cup in order to not get it confused with other sports.

Red Clay Cup is such a sport specific name.

I am not political. I does not me much to me. Its about fun, quality courses, and hills. Good times.

My only real chaffe is that the day I announced my race, Rick, who said he was quitting his "Spring" race, announces the Athens deal. Trade street was good, but we had a UPS truck hassle and the cops came. Its seemed outlaw to me. Then, after I spanked the field barefoot after two runs, he added another that only could have fooked me. He never smiled the whole weekend and said that he thought slalom was gay, that he quit slalom and was now a park skater.
The downtown street and course sucked. The town was cool as hell, but does that really matter?
I know that I can organize a well run, fun race, but its not going to be for the chodes. This hill is pretty fast and doesnt "let up" for hybrid and ts.
We pulled off the Buckeye in a week or two, and had no timing problem, cop problems, etc. I have raced my ass off and been to every single race site, with the exception of Elsinore and the pump station.

I saw a hole in the schedule and went for it.

66, why do you want to put on a slalom event if you think its gay and quit? How large is the parking lot that you are holding the race? You are like me, with 50% of the people thinking that your a dick. I never saw that side of you until you posted your race the day I announced mine.

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Post by William Tway » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:07 am

Ok....if the West will give us just 1 Prime then how about....

Main status subjects (2 Main)

[Main] - Luna Slalom Jam
[Main] - Dixie Cup

Prime status subjects (3)
[Prime] - Slalom St. Louis
[Prime] - Chicago ChiXill
[Prime] - Buckeye Open

Basic Status
The Farm
Red Clay Cup

*Rotate the circuit annually.

Regarding Kevin's remarks....

The Farm and Red Clay have been around the longest and we have both worked hard to make them killer races BUT all the other races in our region are gaining momentum and it only seems fair to rotate the statuses annually. According to WT's recent poll, most people aren’t in it for the points. Last check I was ranked 69th and would love to stay there as long as possible. I do understand where Kevin's coming from. He and his lovely wife Yvonne have poured their heart and soul into the farm for 5 years and I can’t thank them enough for their efforts.

It would be cool if the slalom circuit was more like the PGA Tour in that there were 4 majors and all the rest were just regular stops on the tour. This just isn't fair to the other organizers.

a couple more pennies

It looks like pretty much no one really gives a damn about the points except for a handful of folks....which inevitably means we just let the chips fall where ever Corky puts them or we all agree on something fast. Will the West give us a Prime or a Main? It sucks we may have to gravel for it.

Slalom skateboarding is still a grassroots sport no matter how you slice it. Unless someday a big sponsor comes along....it will probably always be....which is probably why most folks don’t give a damn. The East has the vast majority of participants but we have very few pros. I anticipate this will change in a few years but for now the general attitude about points and race statuses appears to be pretty laissez-faire.

I did like Claude remark regarding points..."if you want some, come and get em". Maybe someday that will work but for now its pure grassroots fun.

Tway

A grassroots kinda guy (at least that’s what I've been told)

Other possible solutions...

...all the organizers play rock, paper, scissors before each season.

...all the organizers play quarters on a beach in Mexico.

As for Cbarks comments about limiting the field...we only do this for the fun factor. We could open the sign up but that means a lot of waiting around....which sucks a lot of the fun out of a race. With 56 participants, the race moves fast, there are 4 class winners and the party starts just about the time the sun sets.
Last edited by William Tway on Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:54 am

tway.i will take quarters on the beach in mexico with this crew anyday.cfav
Freak Bros. Racing

Chris Barker

Post by Chris Barker » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:21 am

Tway, I understand why you or any other organizer needs to limit the field. It sucks for anyone to travel and then not even make it past the qualifying. I think the scene is growing enough that soon we will see races just for different classes (A,B,C or however you want to think of it). I think it would be a great thing to have a race specifically for B/Open riders. The courses could be set for that skill level, no primadona pros to worry about pleasing. If another race was A/Pro specific, top Open riders could attend and take their chances on qualifying in, but they would know that the courses are suited to high skill level and they would have a tougher time advancing past the first round.

Of course with all the hassles of putting on a race, it is amazing that we have as many options as we do each year.

My thanks to all that promote, Tway, TK, Ricky, 66, Marion, Jack, Fluitt, Hackett, Kramer, Goad, Wax, The Hood Crew, and everyone else.

I'm not in it for the points, I'm in it for the schwag: crocks, cups, jugs, and moonshine.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:34 am

I'm in it for all the Priceline.com rebates. If I keep spending money like I do, I'll be rich in no time.

Oh, and the points: Top 100, here I come!!

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:09 pm

chicago last year was b/open specific.worked out well and saw some great matchups.where else you are you gonna have civ,oles and harms battle it out for the top three?cf
Freak Bros. Racing

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:10 pm

btw,last year was year 2,if we do it this year something better than basic would be cool.cf
Freak Bros. Racing

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Voting For Races' Status

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:38 pm

Hey, I just remembered, I'm an ADMINSTRATOR!

Here's a question (speak now or forever hold your peace)

Do y'all want me to set up a forum where we can VOTE on what races should have what status? I'll actually make a forum just for voting and keep it active for, say, 45 days? (January 15.) I'll open a topic for every proposed race with three selections in a poll: Main, Prime and Basic. (We have settled that all the MAJORS are spoken for, right?)

Then on January 16 I'll tally the votes and we'll see where it stands. (or earlier if you want. It's up to the users. Two weeks? New Years? Whatever.) If it just goes dead after a week or two, I'll consider that the end and do the count. Will that make things better or does everyone just want to keep going around in circles and hope for the best?

It's easy to do so let me know.

One caveat: every registered user of SS.com would be able to vote, so there might be some ballot box stuffing Or, more than likely, there will be 300 views of each race vote and only 12 votes cast. Why won't people click a button and cast a vote in the polls?

And, what about a tie vote? Well, in that case we're right back where it started but none the worse for wear. Nothing says this is binding, but it might be better than just slingin' hash over and over.

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Good

Post by Marty Schaub » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:31 pm

Idea.

Either that or set a forum up where race promoters state their cases on their races, dates, prizes, purses and have a voter poll at the top listing them all. Vote for three Mains (if we are gonna steal ooops, reappropriate one), Three primes (same scenario, can we reappropriate again?)

Even with this scenario we would end up with a race with a basic status, unless you move St. Louis to the West to use the prime that appears available. (Breck/Major, Hood/Main, Texas/Prime.)

Give it a try, if it fizzles we could try something else.
La Costa Boy For Life

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:40 am

The votings a good idea WT....

I'm one of the guys who clicked on your last "question A" poll but didnt vote.....only because i wasnt really clear on what you were asking.....I think a few other folk did that too

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:15 am

OK.

It's done. There's a whole new forum in the U.S.A area.

This might not settle anything and might cause more confusion and arguments than it solves, but, hey, what the hell? It's CHRISTMAS!

Let's have some fun and see what happens.

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:59 pm

American statuses
Next to be decided before Dec 31 is if you want to keep the current balance of World Ranking statuses as is (West 3 Main, East 2 Main) or if you want to switch to (West 2 Main, East 3 Main). You have to come up with a list of some important people behind such a change or it will stay the same for 2006. And that there is not a second list with some important names going against it of course.

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:10 am

This is how I read it out.

Main status subjects (1 Major 1 Main) or (2 Main)
- Statesville and Winston-Salem, North Carolina | 2nd Annual Downhillbillies Dixie Cup | November 3-5 (38 points)
- Vista, New York | The Farm | Date? (33 points)

Prime status subjects (2)
- Columbus, Ohio | The 2nd Annual Buckeye Open | June 23-25 (27 points)
- Chicago | Chi-Town Shootout | Date? (21 points)
- Jackson, Mississippi | Luna Slalom Jam | Date? (18 points)

- Athens, Georgia | Red Clay Cup | June 22-25 (18 points)

Red Clay same date as Buckey will take Red Clay out. Then we have Chicago and Luna. The dates may decide but no dates are given so far. Same goes for the Farm. Would be good to avoid collisions with US West and other regions high status events.

So who will rap it up?