BALL MOUNTAIN

Slalom Skateboarding in New England U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Karl Floitgraf

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

BALL MOUNTAIN

Post by Adam Daniels » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:37 am

eric....we need another race here this fall. something big, long, and fast...who's game?
No vestido para mi

Eric Brammer

Damn, no Dam.

Post by Eric Brammer » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:49 pm

Adam, I WISh!! It's just not something I can afford to put time into right now. I have to miss Antrim (again, oy) as well, as my Dad's funeral is that weekend, in Colorado. It's been a tough year for us, as my Mom passed on in April. I've about used up my 'time off' from work for this year. With my working 2nd shift, I'd have to take a Friday night off to even hope of getting a Saturday race going.
I had hoped Tim Cayer and GSI would at least have looked Ball Mt. over to see if it fit their needs for a G.S. race (we who've skated there often think it could run a 90+ cone G.S. or Super-G), but they didn't when they were at Ascutney. So, that leaves things pretty much up-in-the-air with regards to the Dam for this year, and that tar has probably only 3-4 years left in it as a 'prime' quality racing surface (thank the Lord they don't use it in winter, it'd deteriorate a lot quicker). Besides, Autumn isn't the best time to race there. Late June into mid August is the best time, as the sun dosen't set until late, and the upper hill gets dryed out (it's shaded partly in Spring and Fall, hence wet spots) when the sun can get to it.
So,, maybe someone else can step in and plan to race there next Summer? I'll hopefully have more time (the twins will have grown some, less diaper changes, I hope?!), and have 'time off' from work to plan for being around to help. I agree we should have a race there again, and I'm bummed I can't do more to help this year. However, i'm stoked there's still interest in that hill. It's one of my fave spots to ride.
BTW, I'm still looking for good roads, though not as actively (thanks to gas costs) as I once did. At least Ascutney happened (Thank Ryan Crawford for following up my suggestion for using that hill!), and Okemo, Killington, and maybe Bolton Valley all have potential as future racing venues. With GSI stepping in and bringing their Race-Know-How to Slalom, we may finally have an Organized approach to using Big Hills for combined racing events. Imagine a weekend of Luge,DH,Slalom and Buttboards all at a major Ski Resort! :-D That'd be cool...
"Surfin' these Old Hills since back in The Day"