Slalom at the da School POSTPONED TO May 20th, 2006

Slalom Skateboarding in New England U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Karl Floitgraf

Tyler Hager

Post by Tyler Hager » Thu May 18, 2006 12:42 am

So whats it looking like for this weekend?

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Thu May 18, 2006 3:03 am

We're on as of right now, but weather reports are conflicting so on thursday I'll make a call if the people coming really far might not want to come.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Anthony Pistono

Post by Anthony Pistono » Thu May 18, 2006 4:46 pm

so whats the deal boss...??

are you checking the hour to hour stuff ???
and did you get a giant tarp for that course???

!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Thu May 18, 2006 5:24 pm

I read some info it looks like we might get a small shower in the afternoon. SO WE ARE ON IN THE MORNING. Same schedule, with fewer people we should be out of there before the rain.

IMPORTANT RELAY FOR LIFE INFO.
The American Cancer Society is holding their Relay for Life event starting at 3pm on saturday on the lower fields near Needham High School. It is important that skaters come up and park in the school lots not at the bottom of the field. Follow the directions and you'll be in the right place.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Leonardo Ojeda
Venezuelan Racer
Venezuelan Racer

Post by Leonardo Ojeda » Fri May 19, 2006 4:38 am

cant make it.. sorry dude. didnt wanted to miss a race this year. dang it!
"I`ll see you at the end of the hill"

Robert J Herten

Post by Robert J Herten » Fri May 19, 2006 1:51 pm

Forecast looking much better for tomorrow!!!

We are leaving Jersey around 3pm today. If there's any changes, please call my cell:

862-262-6349

Otherwise we'll see you in the morning!

Oh, anybody know what time they stop selling booze in Mass? ;)

Anthony Pistono

Post by Anthony Pistono » Fri May 19, 2006 4:48 pm

yay we can finally go!!!!!!!

Ron Barbagallo
Fatboy

Post by Ron Barbagallo » Fri May 19, 2006 5:37 pm

Give 'em hell, you douchebags! But stay classy;)
Evil Potentate
Team Fatboy - all hopped up on goofballs!

Still douchebags, but CLASSY douchebags ;)

UNDISPUTED WORLD CATAMARAN CHAMPS!

Glenn Garbett

Post by Glenn Garbett » Fri May 19, 2006 7:52 pm

looks legit
MAD MADNESS

Curt DeBartolo
CMC
CMC

Post by Curt DeBartolo » Fri May 19, 2006 8:29 pm

Last edited by Curt DeBartolo on Wed May 24, 2006 2:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

Brian Peck
Pizzle
Pizzle

Post by Brian Peck » Sat May 20, 2006 3:29 am

Leonardo Ojeda wrote:cant make it.. sorry dude. didnt wanted to miss a race this year. dang it!
Bummer, I looked forward to skating with you again Leo. On a high note, I got my new Nikon D50 on Thursday... I'll gladly take your spot as photographer for the day 8-)

Leonardo Ojeda
Venezuelan Racer
Venezuelan Racer

Post by Leonardo Ojeda » Sat May 20, 2006 8:11 am

Brian: niiiiice gear dude. i cant wait to see those pics.
Leo

Leonardo Ojeda
Venezuelan Racer
Venezuelan Racer

Post by Leonardo Ojeda » Sun May 21, 2006 5:15 am

ok, lets hear it. Who is eating the pie?
brian cmon, if you wanted to be on my spot the pics should be online right away!!! j/k

lets see those times!

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Sun May 21, 2006 5:47 am

Karl
Brian
Mike Duquette
CMC came in 4th, he hit some cones too. We all hope he'll practice before he comes to anthor race.

Special Junior category winner

Mike Duquette

(and in the coolest display sportsmanship, Mike grabs a single $20 truck as his prize, leaving the Fatboy board for someone who needed it more. The kids a Prince, or at least a Duque).

Adam Daniels totally screwed up in not taking gthe "Dress" bet and then beating me by a full second. It would have been hot. I was thinking a Catholic school girl outfit.

Joe

Robert J Herten

Post by Robert J Herten » Sun May 21, 2006 6:35 am

Catholic School girl?? I hope you would've shaved first.

I devised a similar plan to end up on a podium in my first year of racing.

My new name is Helga. Don't mind the woman with the goatee in third place in the womens class. ;)

The race was great. We all had a good time. Even though I just got out of the shower and realized I have road rash in locations I didn't know about, I'm still stoked ;) Time for some better fitting kneepads. I am currently self medicating through the magic of proxide and Budweiser.

We hit Groton skatepark on the way home. It was alot of fun, but the rain started in an hour after we got there, so we only just started to learn some lines before leaving. Cool park, but kinda spread out. We are also spoiled by our perfect Wally Holiday park here in Sayreville, so opinions are just what they say, opinions.

Please keep July 8th open for another race here in Jersey. Details to follow very soon. Also tours of Sayreville skatepark, and hills that are guranteed to make you crap your shorts upon request. 40mph+ if you want it. We don't just throw slalom races here in Jersey, we throw slalom PARTIES!!!

TEAM FATBOY RULES!

Signing off before I further incrimidate myself,
Rob

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Sun May 21, 2006 7:03 am

• 1. Karl Floitgraf 12.75
    2. Bryan Werner 13.12
    3. Mike D (JR) 13.70
    4. Brian Peck (JR) 13.77
    5. Curt Debartolo 13.98
    6. Terry Whalen 14.73
    7. Adam Daniels (JR) 14.78
    8. Glen Chapman 14.98
    9. Marshall Deming 15.00
    10. Jake Hawkridge (JR) 15.04
    11. Anthony Pistono (JR) 15.28
    12. Joe I 15.56
    13. Tyler Hager (JR) 15.88
    14. Shane Anderson 16.20
    15. Rob Herten 17.21
    16. Wenzel Ruml 17.35
    17. Mike Ruisi 18.01
    18. Mario Kula (JR) 18.13
    19. Glenn Garbet (JR) 18.31
    20. Millie Chapman 18.31
    21. Paul Pellerin 18.90
    22. Nick Chamberlain (JR) 20.20
    23. Cheri Schroder TEAM SLACKER 20.86
    24. Nick I (JR) 23.48

Today went very well, weather opened up for us. Thanks to everyone who came and made this possible.

It was a little windy at the top but we did alright. Hoped everyone enjoyed the spot.

Glenn Chapman saved the day fixing the timer that was getting beaten in the wind.

Mike Duqutte was flying, did anyone see him charging gilmour's course. Congrats on being the Fastest Junior Rookie, and thanks for letting Jake grab the fatboy, he is so stoked on slalom now.

I had almost as much fun putting this whole event that I got from

SKINNING THE WEASEL

I've been chasing him for 3 years. Nothing's so sweet.

HUGE Props to the Sponsors GF Hurley Donating 8 sets of their new mini slalom trucks, Ed Lynn from Pleasure Tool for the all the Abec 7s and most definately Fatboy for donating the siiiickest deck that went to my friend Jake. Finally a fatboy in needham!

More to write and say but I am too tired right now I'll finish tomorrow.
Last edited by Karl Floitgraf on Sun May 21, 2006 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Sun May 21, 2006 2:04 pm

without a doubt, the sickest race I have ever been to. who has video from the event?

I know Joe, I should have said yes but as soon as the wind started I guess I lost a nut or two. Next times its on....but base on what I saw you do on Gilmour's TS i know i would be screwed on a TS challenged.

So who here saw Gilmour face plant on heelies through the ts? lol. he's one cool dude and gave me a lot of advice (as well as Joe) on my vintage rig. (so if anyone has some fulltracks they want to trade for half's, or anyone have some good grippy wheels let me know).

Mike! holy *! you were flying! what spacing were you running on your trucks through the TS? just curious

Karl----one sweet race man. The look on your face after you "skinned the weasel" was epic. but one thing....check the "ready meal" section at that grocery store. lets just say that my house needs to restock on toilet paper :). whenever you guys have another giant practice, let me know.

WE NEED MORE GILMOUR TS!

check out the slalom section on www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum I made a topic with some pics....but way too many to upload
No vestido para mi

T Whalen

Post by T Whalen » Sun May 21, 2006 2:22 pm

Karl,

Great job with the race and grabbing the top spot on the podium! All the young guns were shredding yesterday - Mike and Brian are going to be forces to reckon with.

Bro I. rules for all your skate needs.

Terry

Curt DeBartolo
CMC
CMC

Post by Curt DeBartolo » Sun May 21, 2006 4:42 pm

;;
Last edited by Curt DeBartolo on Wed May 24, 2006 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brian Peck
Pizzle
Pizzle

Post by Brian Peck » Sun May 21, 2006 5:49 pm

Hey Curt - you were wrong. More practice isn't needed to stop spraying cones and get better times. I DQ'ed all the timed runs I took in NJ, probably 4 or 5. I skated cones only once or twice between the NJ race and Karl's race, and somehow I posted an incredible time. Practice isn't really needed! It's all luck, baybee.

Brian Peck
Pizzle
Pizzle

Post by Brian Peck » Sun May 21, 2006 7:52 pm

http://brian.cancerkills.net/needham_race/

Photo's are up. Unfortunately I was still getting comfortable with my camera and only had 24 pictures out of the 150 I took that were decent enough for me to spend time resizing. I can get anyone a full size picture of the ones posted if you want, or I can look through to find any more of you if you want.

Curt DeBartolo
CMC
CMC

Post by Curt DeBartolo » Sun May 21, 2006 10:10 pm

See you at the next race then...chump. Practice has every thing to do with it. I took a few of the practice runs with a tail wind and it was incredibly fast. The NJ race was a good race. There was no wind advantages or disadvantages simply because there was no wind.
Had there been the same wind gusts coming from the same direction for each and every rider, then I could say yes...you posted a good time. Unfortunately with the wind variables...yes you got lucky. Had I have encountered the tail winds that I felt during some practice runs..I too would have been lucky. Keep racing and we will see how long your luck lasts with out practice ....words of wisdom...dont mock me. ;) I dont mind ball busting..thats fine..but if you want to take the stance of a young punk smart ass...you may want to think twice.

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Sun May 21, 2006 10:39 pm

for all who got a GF Hurley truck, slap some soft bushings in that sucker, wedge it like an indy or tracker, and ride. now remember to get some 8mm axles for it and be able to space it out to about 110mm because if you notice, you will see wheelbite on your baseplate! great truck once it gets wider i am guessing. straight pivot....

let me know what you guys think
No vestido para mi

Brian Peck
Pizzle
Pizzle

Post by Brian Peck » Sun May 21, 2006 10:57 pm

Curt DeBartolo wrote:I dont mind ball busting..thats fine..but if you want to take the stance of a young punk smart ass...you may want to think twice.
Just trying to take the stance of a sarcastic kid because that's what I am. No hard feelings or beef intended man.

Curt DeBartolo
CMC
CMC

Post by Curt DeBartolo » Sun May 21, 2006 11:16 pm

I thought so. Take it from me and others..practice will take you furthur. Examples? Vlad Popov..he was asking me what is a slalom skate board...after serious practice he was kicking ass. UR13, put the time of practice in and came out a solid fast racer. Those are just a few.
When it starts to get a little more serious for you and you start to shell out more money(your money and not mom and dad's) for air travel and race expenses, you cant go to a race with luck to back you up. ...well you can but it wouldnt be worth it. What happens when your luck runs out? The only thing left to do is practice.
I didnt single out anyone with the issues of practice except the action of practice itself. I also stated the cones will go flying regardless if it is a skilled rider or not..that's slalom. But practice can make it easier for everyone in all aspects. Ill still pick up cones if i walk by them..but damn...I wonder why my back hurt so much last year.

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Curtis

Post by Terry Kirby » Mon May 22, 2006 3:04 am

Curtis, call me. TK

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Mon May 22, 2006 4:11 pm

From the Management;

CMC's views, opinions, and intimidation of 16 year olds does not reflect the attitude of our community as a whole. The attitude of our community as a whole is that all 16 year olds should beat CMC racing and then taunt him mercilessly.

Thank you, that is all

Anthony Pistono

Post by Anthony Pistono » Mon May 22, 2006 4:47 pm

hey joe, does this mean that since i did better than you i can taunt you???

just kidding...

Robert J Herten

Post by Robert J Herten » Mon May 22, 2006 5:08 pm

Anthony Pistono wrote:hey joe, does this mean that since i did better than you i can taunt you???

just kidding...
hahahaha! Nice one Beef! Make the dress bet with Joe, you already got the long hair, I bet you'd look real purdy in it anyway if you lost! ;)

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Mon May 22, 2006 5:39 pm

Anthony Pistono wrote:hey joe, does this mean that since i did better than you i can taunt you???...
NO it doesn't mean that you can taunt me, it means I encourage you to taunt me.

It is motivational for me. Something is screwy though. I beat Karl in TX a couple of months ago, and in Needham, MA he is is 2.75 seconds faster than me. Must be a longitudinal thing.

Joe

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Mon May 22, 2006 6:13 pm

You beat me Joe and I hope you don't take it the wrong way but I was so pissed at myself at how poorly I did on the dual day that I've been practicing so hard for the past 3 months, at least 2- 3 times a week, 50 cones. I have gone to one too many races in Bryan's shadow. I decided I needed to tear it up so I've been working out and skating a lot.

Please don't think I just skated well because it was my course. It helped but I didn't set it for my benefit. I really have been working my ass off and those of you who saw me skate last year would think I'd never catch up to the weasel. Practice is really what it's about. All I wanted to do was beat bryan. I hope everyone doesn't think the only reason I skated well was because it was my home spot, this did not come easy.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Mon May 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Karl,

I'm sure this will all be put to rest the next time we race together and you beat me by 2.75 seconds. I look forward to it.

Congratulations for your win and pulling off the race. Good luck in Europe.

Joe

Curt DeBartolo
CMC
CMC

Post by Curt DeBartolo » Mon May 22, 2006 10:50 pm

Joe,
I just got off the phone with my mom...you know the one you met? We were talking about the race and all and she mentioned to me that as you were walking up the hill, she noticed that you had a big shit stain on your ass. Cmon Joe...it was a small hill. Then I got a call from ABC news. They were complaining about some guy with a beard getting interviewed saying that he was 16 and was the father(priest )of the group of boy skaters. Dude..I just hung up the phone...I didnt want anything to do with that. ;)

Karl, great job. Someone told me that the upper part of the course was already set because they dots used were your practice dots. Cmon now..all those weeks of blood and sweat for practice and it comes to that? It's understandable though..women, poker, scrabble, and slalom..we all cheat now and then. ;)

So now that we all feel good about each other, when is the next race?

Brian Peck
Pizzle
Pizzle

Post by Brian Peck » Tue May 23, 2006 2:19 am

Curt DeBartolo wrote:Karl, great job. Someone told me that the upper part of the course was already set because they dots used were your practice dots. Cmon now..all those weeks of blood and sweat for practice and it comes to that? It's understandable though..women, poker, scrabble, and slalom..we all cheat now and then. ;)
The upper part? Marshall and I got there nice and early because we under-estimated the driving time from Hartford. We beat all the other riders to the spot, including the crew putting on the race. We pumped around the parking lot, stretched a bit, practiced some handstands and then wandered over to the hill. Low and behold, red dots, from the top to the bottom! Looks like somebody planned in advance ;) Marsh layed down his cones, we swept when Glen came with a broom and then chalked the course... 10 minutes later Karl arrived.

Democracy at its best :D

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Tue May 23, 2006 2:41 am

Do you honestly want to give me crap about this course? I did set the course last week and spray painted it because race day isn't the time to lay down the course. The reason for that was is so I could spend extra attention to make the course a really good one that everyone would enjoy, all day we had about 3 DQs, that's an accomplishment if you ask me. I do not regret my methods of course setting at all. Did anyone not enjoy it? If so I honestly want to hear why and how it should be improved because I think course setting is a real art form.

If you think you would have beaten me on a different course say that and we'll race. You can set the course. If not please respect the hard work and thought I put into setting a good fast course that anyone could make but everyone would enjoy. Organizing the race for everyone was my top priority.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Curt DeBartolo
CMC
CMC

Post by Curt DeBartolo » Tue May 23, 2006 3:33 am

Last edited by Curt DeBartolo on Wed May 24, 2006 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Curt DeBartolo
CMC
CMC

doh

Post by Curt DeBartolo » Tue May 23, 2006 4:59 am

Last edited by Curt DeBartolo on Wed May 24, 2006 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Tue May 23, 2006 5:07 am

Last edited by Derek Smith on Tue May 23, 2006 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T Whalen

Post by T Whalen » Tue May 23, 2006 12:33 pm

Karl,

Can you post the spreadsheet showing the raw times and # of cones?

Thanks,
Terry

Glenn Garbett

Post by Glenn Garbett » Tue May 23, 2006 6:44 pm

i think the race was mad sweet. i liked it the best out of all iv been to and cant wait for the rest. i mite be wrong but i think they have my time down wrong unless i made the mistake and looked at the wrong name
MAD MADNESS

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

Post by Marion Karr » Tue May 23, 2006 10:38 pm

Sounds like a good time was had by most!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to the Farm! JOe I...give me a call when you have time!

Congrats Mike Duquette. Way to bring it bro! You were smoking fast at the Retreat on all of the tight courses and kicked my butt in Duals. Must be learning from Joe I. on how to get into my head.......but all that may change this year (which showed this past weekend when I beat the fastest DHB rider Evan).....been working on the "mental" aspects of this sport when it comes to dual...then again...maybe I will get smoked again....

But I am totally licking my chops for Shady Lane......(but this could make my Saturday real short....best find a vintage board so I can get more runs).

Hey Joe, is there going to be another "totally professional downhill"? I think I have the right board for that now!!!!!!!!!!
Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS
Sk8sville, North Carolina

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

<br>LUCKY 13 TATTOO STUDIO<br>
www.luckythirteentattoo.com<br>
Ninja Bearings
www.skateabsolute.com

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com