Da farm series #5 July 4th Boston?

Slalom Skateboarding in New England U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Karl Floitgraf

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Da farm series #5 July 4th Boston?

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:35 pm

I don't know how many people remember in 2003 JG held a race july 4th on storrow drive, in downtown Boston, near the water front and the Hatchshell.

We had a little race last year, and I am pretty sure I could get the spot again if we had enough people who want to slalom on Independence Day.

Where Storrow drive goes under the Mass Ave Bridge, on the inbound side. It is roughly half a mile from the hatch shell and we could have a BBQ and a watch the Fire Works over boston Harbor.

I'd have to talk to tway to see if it could be a Da Farm Series race.

So we can do this but I want to make sure there are enough people interested to make it worth it.

A couple pictures from last year:

BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Eric Brammer

Boston

Post by Eric Brammer » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:46 pm

Karl, that's a decent little hill, one that I really like, except for the bumps down under the bridge. It's a classic 'urban Slalom spot' and deserves to be used as often as it can be. Gotta talk to JG about whom to ask pemission for it. BTW, when it was used for the '02 International Cup, we got a special sideshow from one of the Massachussetts State Police Motorcycle Officers. He rode his big ol' Kawasaki patrol bike through JG's course! Very cool that...
"Surfin' these Old Hills since back in The Day"

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:27 pm

Will Chinese be on the menu?

Matthew Wilson

Chinese

Post by Matthew Wilson » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:28 am

Chinese is always on the menu, isn't it! Sadly, I will not be in Boston this July 4th. But from here in Colorado, I say you should do it, Karl. That spot rocks simply because of its location. And didn't they just repave it?
slalom is good

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Post by William Tway » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:50 am

Boston 2003

JG vs. Vlad

finals

sick

Do It!

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Re: Chinese

Post by Wes Eastridge » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:14 am

Matthew Wilson wrote:And didn't they just repave it?
New pavement? 'Zat correct? If so, there should be no hesitation in the decision.
Join Folding@Home for the good of humankind, or at least for your loved ones (whatever species they may be). It's easy, free and fun, too!

Leonardo Ojeda
Venezuelan Racer
Venezuelan Racer

Post by Leonardo Ojeda » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:46 am

I probably go to the bostn race next weekend, i was thinking on getting there by train, what are the directions to glocester so i can plan plan my trip better.

tks

Leo
"I`ll see you at the end of the hill"

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:09 pm

There is a rail system that will get you from the north station in Boston to West Gloucester. http://www.mbta.com/traveling_t/schedul ... errailmain
If you come in that way you will be about 2 miles from the race site. Call me on my cell phone 978-857-3117 and I will either pick you up or send someone over to get you.
Glenn

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:57 pm

Leo

Remember if you are coming from a regional train from CT you will end up in South Station, you will need to take the red line and orange line accross town.

http://www.mbta.com/traveling_t/schedules_subway.asp

When you get off your train in South Station, head towards the front downstairs, take an Alewife train one stop to DownTown Crossing then switch to a Oak Grove Orange train. Take that 3 stops to North Station.

I thought that might help out a little. It's kind of a pain.

BTW the race is a no go, next year most likely.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Leonardo Ojeda
Venezuelan Racer
Venezuelan Racer

Post by Leonardo Ojeda » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:03 pm

Thank you guys, i think that will help a lot.
Last edited by Leonardo Ojeda on Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I`ll see you at the end of the hill"

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:08 pm

There will be no race held on July 4th in Boston 2005
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:52 pm

does anyone have any other ideas on where #5 should be held? what about going back to ball mountain dam? that place was great
No vestido para mi

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:26 pm

I definitely would like to skate the Ball Mountain Dam. If that race could be July 3rd, it would be perfect for people attending the Dovercourt race in Ottawa that's scheduled for July 1/2.
Join Folding@Home for the good of humankind, or at least for your loved ones (whatever species they may be). It's easy, free and fun, too!

Eric Brammer

July 3rd

Post by Eric Brammer » Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:29 am

Wes, I'd be up for that. BUT, I've been told by the Rangers that 'busy' weekends aren't the best times for us to set up Race courses. However, You guys (and gals) made such a favorable impression that we're welcome to return. If the 3rd becomes a 'date' for Ball Mountain, then we may need to apply for 'park usage' and 'traffic control' then, we're not quite an Outlaw anymore, but it's do-able, just a bit more of a hassle.

I'm Very Stoked on the positive vibe that has floated back my way on how the Dam worked out for everyone!! I'm quite willing to help out as much, or as little, as needed. However, it's just got to be on a day I Can BE There... If anyone has 'Dates' in mind, PLEASE use the PM(or phone) to inform me Well In Advance! Oh, and Claude, you really need to look this spot over.... It has CAN-AM possibilties. Just ask Pierre!

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:45 am

Eric, I'm glad you found my idea in this 'other' topic. If it happens with any advance notice, you can be sure I'll be there, most likely toting the timers we use in DC.

Pierre Gravel
Pierre Gravel
Pierre Gravel

Re: July 3rd

Post by Pierre Gravel » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:26 pm

Eric Brammer wrote:Oh, and Claude, you really need to look this spot over.... It has CAN-AM possibilties. Just ask Pierre!
Hey Eric, it's been a while huh?
Ball Mtn is one of the best spots for a CAN-AM event, the surface is really good, and it's a lot closer for us canadians than Washington.

Any of you New-Englanders coming to Ottawa?
Wes, it's on?

See you next weekend in Ottawa hopefully!
Last edited by Pierre Gravel on Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:36 pm

so i'm guessing that the "Return to Ball Mountain" is going to happen now?

i'll be looking forward to it
No vestido para mi

Eric Brammer

Ball Mt.

Post by Eric Brammer » Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:52 am

Yeah, Pierre, it has been awhile, but with U.S, customs being gnarly-like at the border, I can't blame any Canadian that dosen't come visit!

The Dam will be there, and I think we can count on it being in good shape for another few years. Just let me know when, and I'll do what I can to get a race on there for you.
Oh, and next time you're around, plan on an 'exploration day', where I can show you some decent hills, instead of the rough, ugly stuff you were on last time.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:08 am

That's correct, Pierre. It would be great to hit two seperate races in one road trip. Aside from that, it's still a "could be...maybe" for me. I'm trying to work some transportation out with John Dillon. If there is a CAN-AM Slalom Tour though, you can bet I will be there even if I have to hop a freightcar.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

4th Of July At The Corner Of Storrow And Massachusetts

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:59 pm

So, did anything happen on Storrow Drive or was it a bust?