Farm Outlaw @ The Dam, gittin' there from N.Y.

Slalom Skateboarding in New England U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Karl Floitgraf

Eric Brammer

Farm Outlaw @ The Dam, gittin' there from N.Y.

Post by Eric Brammer » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:55 am

O.K., there's two main routes North, I-87 and the Taconic Parkway. So, I'll note the I-87 route first, then Taconic Pkwy., and then the roads from Hoosick(very near the VT./N.Y. border) on in.

Take I-87 North, pay a toll to help the Govt. buy more Radar Guns, get off at Exit 23 (use the middle lanes at the Toll if possible). Take I-787 North, go past Albany, past the turn to I-90, and take the 4th exit after that, towards Troy, and N.Y. Route 7 East. Try to be in the center/left lane[s] up through Troy, as the traffic flow is, um, awkward through there. Stay on Rt. 7 E. We'll get you to Rt. 279 in a bit...

Take the Taconic North, getting off Just Before the interchange with I-90, looking for N.Y. Route 295 heading East. It's about 2-3 miles after Chatham's Exit. Once on Rt. 295, keep an eye out for Queeche Lake Rd., on your left If you take it, follow it until it bumps into Rt. 22 North, and take a Left ther by the School. If you missed the turn, well, Rt. 295 does hook into Rt. 22 a bit further on.. Take a Left onto Rt. 22 North. Stay Route 22 until you meet N.Y. Rt. 7 heading East, take a Right by the Stewarts. We're now in Hoosick, Dorthy...

Stay on Rt. 7 East until it Veers gently Left onto VT 279 towards Bennington. As you cross the state line, and head Downhill, takenote of the Weigh Station on your right, good late-nite Slalom Spot, and you're now on the Hill I used to practice for Morro Bay. Please take a moment to Kick Yourself for not Being Here 3 years ago, when NO CARS were allowed here.
As you get into Bennington, stay Straight, heading for VT Route 7 North. Loop up and ignore the Exit signs until Exit 4 appears, which is for Moneychester. AT that exit, go Right up the hill on Vt. Rt 11, North and East. You'll get to the double lanes on Rt. 11 as you go Uphill, and once things level of a bit, be in the Right Lane. Take a Right onto Vt. Route 30, East, towards Stratton. Go Past Stratton, but note that there's Hills near there. As you pass the intersection (by the Mobile gas station) of Rt. 30 + Rt. 100, note that you've got about 2-1/2 mile to go along Route 30 before you're at The Ball Mt. Dam. Smile! As you go mostly uphill, look for a downhill, and an 8% Grade sign! Shortly after that 8% sign, look for a Very Sharp Left into Ball Mountain Dam. Pull in, and procede past the Gazeebo, downhill, to the Garage and Park behing that Garage, but not near where the roadway comes down.

Get out, stretch,Note the Bathrooms are in the Garage, grab a board, and hike up the road until the guardrail on the Left (going uphill) breaks for the pulloff. That's near the Start of the "A" run. Go down past the Garage, and you'll find the start of the "B" course on your left, about midway between the 'falling rocks' sign, and the green 'P' parking sign. Skate on down. Walk out on the deckway to the Flood Control Pier, and click your heels, as you are Not in the City, ToTo...
"Surfin' these Old Hills since back in The Day"

Eric Brammer

Oops addenda

Post by Eric Brammer » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:45 am

Um, it's Route 30 South, even though it heads mostly East/West (I know this 'cause the sun is Always in my eyes going/returning from Work).
Also, where N.Y. Rt. 7 meets Rt. 279, there's no noticable interchange, the road just gets smoother, wider. That slope is still (barely) in NY, and is where I've skated the last four summers.
My apologies to any lost dogs from Kansas (as if ToTo could click his heels).

Dan Parrish

don't get old!

Post by Dan Parrish » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:17 am

Damn this sounds to be a really great day. I'd love to be there- but for two herniated disks visiting me from my paramedic days. I'm getting better, but missing this one REALLY hurts.

SOMEBODY (tway) *PLEASE* PLAN ON POSTING SOME VIDEO!!

When's the Next one??? See you there???

voyeuristically yours....
DP

Shane Anderson

Directions from Connecticut

Post by Shane Anderson » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:57 am

Can we get some alternate directions coming from Connecticut up 91? Thanks in advance...

Shane

Eric Brammer

From Conn/Mass/R.I. via I-91

Post by Eric Brammer » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:46 am

Wed May 18, 2005 8:43 pm Da Farm up North.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just so you folk have an idea of just where the June 12th Race is going to be held it's just west of the town of Jamaica by about a 1/2 mile. Take I-91 North into Vermont, getting off at Exit 2. Take a Left there, and head towards downtown Brattleboro, carefully following the first two left turns that take you to Vermont Route 30, heading West. You'll be Route 30 about 16-20 minutes before cruising into the village of Jamaica. After that, you'll head up a pretty decent hill about 4/10th's of a mile, look for the Ball Mountain Dam on your right. No entry fees required for this park. Once in the park, head uphill, over 'the hump' and down to the Lot by the Garage. This is where the restrooms are, btw.
We want to park towards the rear, as to leave the Lot as open as possible for deceleration purposes. The hill just above this lot is the G.S. hill. The lower section, down by the Dam and cul-de-sac is where we can run a Tight Slalom, or could be a less-intense G.S. Hybrid hill. There is the possibility of using the foremost hill instead, depending on wind direction/intensity or if that hill is drier. That first hill has an uphill runout, and isn't as steep. The tar is fairly new, and fairly sticky, smooth, and fast. We are a ways out in the woods, so pack food/drinks/sunscreen in true pinicing fashion. This is also Public Land, and as such, we cannot keep cars out by locking the gate. If you hear "CAH" being yelled out, heed that please. Also, I would want you all to pack your trash, as this is a wilderness enviroment, and the Resevior provides drinking water to those downstream of the Dam. There's a few pinic tables up along the crown of the hill, with a nice view of the nearby hills, lake, and a glimpse of Stratton Mountain as well.

This is an edited, recycled post. My apologies for my laziness. ;-)

Eric Brammer

Oops addenda, again

Post by Eric Brammer » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:56 am

It's Route 30 North out of Brattleboro, even though your compass will read West or Northwest... So, look at those signs for Route 30 twice. If you end up in New Hampshire, you took a wrong turn.

Oh, those coming in from Boston Area, please note the taking Mass. Rt. 140 from Leominster, and then N.H. Route 12 into Keene, then N.H. Rt. 9 into Brattleboro takes a good 20 minutes off of driving along Mass. Rt. 2 to I-91. It's scenic as well, but does have more deer. Rt. 9 is also a good road from Southern Maine to cross West/East through N.H.

If you mapquest Jamaica Vermont Fire Dept. on Rt. 30, you'll be about 3/4 mile from Ball Mountain Dam...

I hope no one gets really lost....

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:42 pm

if we mapquest this area is it the same as Jamaica State Park?
No vestido para mi

Eric Brammer

Jamaica Park

Post by Eric Brammer » Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:01 pm

Nope, but, pretty you are pretty darn close to the Dam from the Jamaica Park. The Dam is upstream a bit, so go uphill from the Village of Jamaica, North along Rt. 30, about 3/4 mile from the center of town. The Dam is on the Right as you head uphill...

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:58 pm

i got there fine and it was a blast. thanks for everyone's help.

mapquest led us in the other direction completely on which way to go after exit 4.

eric, your directions were perfect!
No vestido para mi