The Farm Outlaw Series

Slalom Skateboarding in New England U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Karl Floitgraf

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

The Farm Outlaw Series

Post by William Tway » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:59 pm

Wow...what a fun day. I just want to thank everyone who showed up and made this a very special day/race. The vibe for Race 1 was very similar to the first Farm Race on Scenic Dr. We missed ya TK. I was truly amazed at the turnout and blown away by the talent of the next generation. East Coast Slalom has a very bright future.

For all the results...just download this vid I put together last night.....

Low-Res
http://www.users.cloud9.net/~wbtway/farmweb.wmv

The series contiunes next in Northern CT.
Date will be announced soon.

Tway

Photo courtesy of Dr. Dan
Last edited by William Tway on Fri May 06, 2005 12:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Oh to be a pig...

Post by Andy Bittner » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:05 pm

Great video. It makes me want to make the trip.

On another point, witness the incredibly efficient and effective arm action of Ur13. From the Gilmour school, but even more well timed and fluid.

Thanks, Tway. Nice WB ad. (WB, right?)

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Pigs

Post by William Tway » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:15 pm

PSR Wrote
Down on The Farm, we had to go hide from a Boar, as it was chasing us o'er hill and dale. Good thing we had a lumber yard nearby to fence us in from that big ol' pig. Once we're over the ridge, and had the fencin' up, we could get down to some Skatin'. Oink.
About 1/4 mile from the Derby Hill is a nice private road with an excellent surface that provided us with a great day of racing. The Derby Hill itself took a beating this winter and is not conducive for this year’s main farm event. We are moving the race back to Shady Lane where the surface is still in good shape and with a ramp, should make for a fun 30 second+ GS course.

GBJ, yes that was a WB and I too learned a ton by editing the vid. 13 has great form and my left hand is dead compared to his. I gots to improve somewhere or the youth of today will just continue to beat me up.

Joe is going to host the next race and it should be some time in early May.

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:56 pm

Thanks Tway for setting up the session (great video!). We had a great time racing with everyone. I can't wait to give Joe's spot a try. I hope one of the spots on the Farm tour will be in Gloucester at our home hill. See you all soon.
Glenn, Ben, and Millie

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

I just flew in from the coast . . .

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:04 pm

That pic looks like one of those African Safari shots where Bawana just bagged the elusive Turner Banner.

Hey, Tway, ummm, I got some bad news for you: the tight slalom course looks like one I would have set. I thought you had more imagination than that?

It's also nice to see the NRA bundled up like eskimos in April. Meanwhile in Mississippi, most folks were slathering on SPF 15 trying to avoid getting burned like a brisket on a grill.

Glad y'all had fun. Seems to have been a theme all over slalom this weekend. I guess from the sign up sheet we'll see most of y'all in two weeks in Jaw Ja, except Stepenak: he doesn't travel anymore. I guess those leg bracelets are a real hassle, huh, 13?

(I got a million more, but I'll stop now.)

Re: I just flew in from the coast . . .

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:28 pm

Wesley Tucker wrote:That pic looks like one of those African Safari shots where Bawana just bagged the elusive Turner Banner.
You know how rare "real" Turners are Wes.....it's a find to see one wild in CT.

Wesley Tucker wrote:Hey, Tway, ummm, I got some bad news for you: the tight slalom course looks like one I would have set. I thought you had more imagination than that?
Tway set the first 10 cones then I set (and reset, my first was too tight for everyone) the rest of the course.

Wesley Tucker wrote:except Stepenak: he doesn't travel anymore. I guess those leg bracelets are a real hassle, huh, 13?
Nah, just one. Me and Martha Stewart have the same Parole Officer...imagine that!

Eric Brammer

Farm 'Outlaw' indeed

Post by Eric Brammer » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:28 pm

"Down on The Farm, we had to go hide from a Boar, as it was chasing us o'er hill and dale."

We had a local rent-a-cop chase us around awhile, before we scooted over to where we raced. I had no idea Joe was that cagey about giving security patrol guys 'the slip'! Masterfully done, Joe! I liked the tar there, smooth and grippy, even if the slope wasn't as aggressive as the 'soapbox' hill. It's just as well, all things considered. This was the first time out on Slalom skateboard this season for both Huck and Adam, my 2nd time out. I've still got sand from this winter on most of my local hills. Luckily, the Ball Mt. Dam road is fairly grit free. With any luck, we'll have that as a venue in June as part of the Farm Outlaw Series. And in true outlaw fashion, I have two other nearby hills slated as backups, just in case the Ol' Pig comes around to root us out.
"Surfin' these Old Hills since back in The Day"

Eric Brammer

Dates for the Outlaws

Post by Eric Brammer » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:08 pm

I just saw Joe I's post up on NCDSA about the 15th of May. That looks good, as I was worried about the 8th, as The Gathering was happening that week.
I'm aiming for taking the June 5th slot for the northern Farm-land runaround up in VT This will be as far afield as the Farmhands have travelled. We've got two killer hills at The Ball Mountain Dam, but I've asked Mrs Schwippert to ask the town councilmen about a road literally across the way from their house, about 3 miles from Mt. Snow. If they say No, then we'll go around The Law again and be at The Dam. As the time nears, I'll post up good clear directions for ya'll. Expect to be within a 1/2 hour of either Mt. Snow or Stratton, so we'll be out in the woods, but not hard to find nor too far from civilized livin'.

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

CT

Post by Henry Julier » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:48 am

Whats going on around here? Tway, is there a date set for the next Farm race... if it's in CT then I might as well try and race. I get home from school May 13th and have untill July 2nd. Whats the deal.

henry

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:56 am

Hey

Bryan and I and probably JG if we can convince him to help us want to host a DaFarm Series race at the arboretum some time.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Paul Pellerin

Post by Paul Pellerin » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:41 pm

I will be there. Please provide directions from 84 East (hopefully avoid driving through the North End). I worked in Hartford from 1987-1990, but there has been substatial changes to the highways around Hartford. Thanks

Paul
[Edit: Removed Double Post]

John Friends

Post by John Friends » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:21 pm

Hey All,

Joe, the 15th of May sounds cool and I'll round up some of my snowboard groms & coaches to check it out. Tway, the Farm Outlaw video is very cool. I'm looking forward to running some cones with you guys soon. - John F.

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Fri May 06, 2005 1:23 am

Hey guys as of now there are 40 people signed up! That's ridiculous, we beat out the gathering!

But that also worries me a little bit, because it's outlaw( I believe) and I think was planned as something much smaller. I was wondering if who ever's organizing this is ready for 40 racers and is there a higer chance we get kicked off?
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Fri May 06, 2005 2:34 am

Karl,

Don't be negative. This is a closed road in a state park with no rangers until memorial day. Can we still get busted? Sure.

Am I ready. No, I need your help, Ben's, Brian's, Millie's, and everyone who's raced before. More than half our numbers are brand new. It's going to be chaos, but we've got the opportunity to turn on 20-30 new riders. This is going to kick ass.

Bring loaner boards, cones, safety gear, a chair, and your camera.

Where's Gilmour when we need him. Does he realize 17 yr old girls are signed up?

Joe

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Fri May 06, 2005 2:40 am

sorry didn't mean to be negative man. I am so psyched for this! I will bring all that stuff and help out as best I can.

If we have a lot of first timers, do you think we should have a C class to make things run smoother? That way the more expirenced guys can worry about helping?
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Matthew Wilson

wish I was there

Post by Matthew Wilson » Sat May 07, 2005 9:24 am

I miss all of you already.
Just arrived in Denver today. Going to buy new pads and a helmet hopefully this week. Then I'm giving the COSS guys a call.

But I miss the east already. Keep posting so I can keep up with you all.
slalom is good

Eric Brammer

Simsbury, Farm Outlaw II

Post by Eric Brammer » Tue May 10, 2005 9:19 pm

Tway, or anybody knowledgable, I need a good map/directions to where this race is happening. Please call or email me, or point me to a Mapquest Addy!

BTW, I have scooted up to The Ball Mt. Dam, and the hill is in really pretty good shape. This is where Id like to set-up our 'NorEaster' part of the Farm Outlaw, and unless anyone has other plans, I'd really like to use the early June slot (5th).
I gotta sweep some pebbles, and see if I can't redo the paint dots on the cul-de-sac.
I'm leaning towards a G.S., and there's two hills to use for that, one mellower (4.5% grade,briefly) that has an uphill runout, and the other side, which is 5.5%, and would funnel Right into the garage parkinglot, so either way little-to-no footbraking should be required, but we can have a pretty fast course. Once I get the cul-de-sac swept out, we should also have a good steep, sticky T.S. hill as well. I'll post up more stuff on this hill in the near future, and try to bring some photos of it with me to the next race.

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Tue May 10, 2005 10:27 pm

The park website is linked on the sign up on NCDSA.

http://dep.state.ct.us/stateparks/parks/stratton.htm

my cell is 860-593-4550.

We are doing a clinic for new riders at 9AM if you can make it. Racing starts at 11.

Contact Tway to schedule your race

Joe

Eric Brammer

Stratton Park/Outlaw Farm #2

Post by Eric Brammer » Wed May 11, 2005 2:13 am

Thanks Joe! I'll be there as early as possible,cones and chalk with me.

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

no rain no rain no rain

Post by William Tway » Sun May 15, 2005 4:36 am

Attention all outlaw farmers...We will make the call sometime around 8am tomorrow to let you know if the race is on or not. Thanks to Joe and his efforts to raise slalom awareness in New England, over 40 skaters are signed up to race. I look forward to meeting a bunch of new folks tomorrow and getting all of them hooked. If it's on, I'll be there around 11am.

Tway
914-533-1139
C. 917-364-5987

Joe Iacovelli

It's On!

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Sun May 15, 2005 2:08 pm

Weather swung north and south of us. Forecast is for "pop up showers" which means it may not rain at all. We had two showers yesterday that gave 15 minute breaks to 10 hours of skating.

Cell if you get lost
Eight Six Zero Five Nine Three Four Five Five Zero.

Joe

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Mon May 16, 2005 1:41 am

CAAAAH! lol

Today was great! Photos http://homepage.mac.com/floitgraf/PhotoAlbum31.html

Needham High Longboard Club made a good show, winning the B division (at least I think, where are them results?)!

Anyone with media of any kind who wants a host- email me Karl @slalomspot.com

Let's run some more TS next time pleeease.

NHS Longboard Club
Slalom Spot
Wicked Chowda(and these are all the same people)
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

VIVA LA FRANCE

Post by William Tway » Mon May 16, 2005 4:36 am

SLALOM ON THE FARM OUTLAW RACE 2

1. UR13 21.270
2. DEREK SMITH 21.690
3. BEN CHAPMAN 22.027
4. BRYAN WERNER 22.072
5. TWAY 22.094
6. ERIC BRAMMER 22.182
7. ADAM SCHWIPPERT 22.296
8. TERRY WHALEN 22.543
9. KARL FLOITGRAF 23.030
10. JOHN DILLON 23.149
11. LEO 23.306
12. WENTZLE RUML IV 23.381
13. GLENN CHAPMAN 23.479
14. KAM BUMPUS 24.075
15. HENRY J. 24.561
16. JOE IACOVELLI 24.652
17. JOHN FRIENDS 24.762
18. GENE 25.134
19. LISA WOODWARD 25.306
20. KATIE CAMPBELL 25.511
21. MARSHALL DEMING 25.623
22. CRAIG PEDEMONTI 26.161
23. BOB POLLARD 26.251
24. GLENN GARBETT 26.362
25. SHANE ANDERSON 26.607
26. MOLLY DEMING 28.066
27. LUKE DAVIS 28.569
28. WILEY AKIN 29.117
29. MILLIE CHAPMAN 29.207
30. KENDAL BUGBEE 29.692
31. FATBOY 30.071
32. SCOTT SNOW 30.534
33. NIKKI IACOVELLI 35.193.
34. JAMES CALANDRELLA 36.531
35. BEN VOLVOVITZ 41.939
36. TK DNF

Leonardo Ojeda
Venezuelan Racer
Venezuelan Racer

Post by Leonardo Ojeda » Mon May 16, 2005 4:53 am

WHAT A BLAST! i had so much fun at the outlaw race, i was missing that!, thanks everyone for everything, thanks Joe for putting this race together and for thos who went there.

i still cant believe the results, i felt i was so slow and rusty!

i can wait to do it again!!!!!

here are my pics http://spaces.msn.com/members/leoojeda/ ... 02_owner=1
Last edited by Leonardo Ojeda on Mon May 16, 2005 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I`ll see you at the end of the hill"

Eric Brammer

The Farm Outlaw #2

Post by Eric Brammer » Mon May 16, 2005 6:01 am

Please note that 4 of the top ten are under 18! We had this thing set-up for 'first-timers' being "B" class, and veterans being the "A" class. What's obvious to me is that the Young Guns need a division of their own. Also note that 5 ladies raced. The above scoring (in raw times) dosen't seperate these groups, but I'd like to see the points for the series reflect the differences. Meanwhile, The Old Guard had better eat them Wheaties!

Oh, and Ben V,. that was his second outing (6-7 'dry runs' [no cones] at Killington after Snowboarding this spring) on the Fibreflex I loaned him. When he gets some miles under his belt, oh yeah...For now, I saw psyched just to see him finish the huge offset-chicanes Joe had laid in the course. That was a great first outing, much tougher by far than I thought he'd handle.

We had Cars on occasion, which added to the true Outlaw flavor, but it was a nice consistent grade hill, with decent tar on it. Things went pretty smoothly, and we even got the Racin' done just before the rain started. Best of all, I didn't see one Pig get out of the pen and slogg Mud on our event!

Stay tuned for details, later this week, on what I've got cooking for the NorthEastern leg of this Series. It'll be on a Dam fine hill, I promise.

Ron Barbagallo
Fatboy

Post by Ron Barbagallo » Mon May 16, 2005 2:27 pm

Despite Joe playin' dirty with his phone call, Scooter and I had a blast! Six hours drivin' for five runs each? Totally worth it!! You guys rock, one and all!!

Joe, you rule as usual!
John D, ALWAYS glad to see you!
Lisa, I'll miss you and the girls, have fun cross the pond!
Eric, can't thank you enough for the cushion, felt the difference immediately!
Molly, best of luck with the new deck, I see a bright future for you.
Scooter, thanks for sharin' the ride, and now - the stoke!
Wentzle, cordial as always, and still styin' - beautiful family too!

And everybody else that was there - thanks for making me and my friends feel welcome!
Evil Potentate
Team Fatboy - all hopped up on goofballs!

Still douchebags, but CLASSY douchebags ;)

UNDISPUTED WORLD CATAMARAN CHAMPS!

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Re: The Farm Outlaw #2

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Mon May 16, 2005 4:19 pm

Eric Brammer wrote:Please note that 4 of the top ten are under 18!
Please note that 4 of the top ten are over 40! Amazing! :P
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Post by Guest » Mon May 16, 2005 6:48 pm

...and the overall winner is 31, 13 backwards...

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Mon May 16, 2005 8:14 pm

What a great time, best race ever. 33 here, 33 backwards. Nicely done Tway, Joe, Kate, the Spam timer guy, and everyone who put it all together. Congrats to the new points leader lucky 13. Can't wait for VT and Gloucester! Winner at Gloucester gets a lobster dinner from me.

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Points Update

Post by William Tway » Mon May 16, 2005 8:43 pm

Points Standing as of May 15th 2005

Mens Open Div.
Womens Open Div.

**If more B-Pros continue to show up, I'll do a seperat points standing for them.

Last edited by William Tway on Wed May 18, 2005 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Bring It!!!

Post by William Tway » Wed May 18, 2005 1:59 am

Ok Farmers, our little mini tour continues next in Jamaica, Vermont. I hear it's a fantastic venue for a smokin' GS. The date is set for
June 12th and will be hosted by PSR.

See the Contest Calendar for details or click here....
http://www.ncdsa.com/contest_registrati ... 187#signup

Video Highlights from Race 2...

Time

Ron Barbagallo
Fatboy

Post by Ron Barbagallo » Wed May 18, 2005 2:47 pm

Mr Tway, I'm ready for my closeup!

Excellent job, Sir! I'm grinnin' from ear to ear watchin'! Thanks for the memories, what a swell day.

Fats
Evil Potentate
Team Fatboy - all hopped up on goofballs!

Still douchebags, but CLASSY douchebags ;)

UNDISPUTED WORLD CATAMARAN CHAMPS!

Eric Brammer

Da Farm up North.

Post by Eric Brammer » Wed May 18, 2005 8:43 pm

Just so you folk have an idea of just where the June 12th Race is going to be held it's just west of the town of Jamaica by about a 1/2 mile. Take I-91 North into Vermont, getting off at Exit 2. Take a Left there, and head towards downtown Brattleboro, carefully following the first two left turns that take you to Vermont Route 30, heading West. You'll be Route 30 about 16-20 minutes before cruising into the village of Jamaica. After that, you'll head up a pretty decent hill about 4/10th's of a mile, look for the Ball Mountain Dam on your right. No entry fees required for this park. Once in the park, head uphill, over 'the hump' and down to the Lot by the Garage. This is where the restrooms are, btw.
We want to park towards the rear, as to leave the Lot as open as possible for deceleration purposes. The hill just above this lot is the G.S. hill. The lower section, down by the Dam and cul-de-sac is where we can run a Tight Slalom, or could be a less-intense G.S. Hybrid hill. There is the possibility of using the foremost hill instead, depending on wind direction/intensity or if that hill is drier. That first hill has an uphill runout, and isn't as steep. I'll have a Racer's meeting to be sure that we all can deal with the slope. We can Race on any of these three hills, and I'll have all 3 marked/scouted and hopefully swept off too. The tar is fairly new, and fairly sticky, smooth, and fast. We are a ways out in the woods, so pack food/drinks/sunscreen in true pinicing fashion. I'll try to get some photos (from Mr. Prue) up here in the next few days.
Meanwhile, practice your footbraking/decelleration turns. I'll try to set the courses so that braking isn't a must-have skill, but faster riders be forewarned. This is a hilly area, but there are places to bleed off speed and/or footbrake. I'm aware that we have relative newcomers in our ranks, so I'll be careful to make courses that will challenge us all, but keep our speeds within reason. This is also Public Land, and as such, we cannot keep cars out by locking the gate. If you hear "CAH" being yelled out, heed that please. Also, I would want you all to pack your trash, as this is a wilderness enviroment, and the Resevior provides drinking water to those downstream of the Dam. There's a few pinic tables up along the crown of the hill, with a nice view of the nearby hills, lake, and a glimpse of Stratton Mountain as well.
I'll post up more specific info as we get closer to Race Day.
I hope to see you all there! :-)

Post by Guest » Wed May 18, 2005 9:31 pm

Maybe it makes sense for this race to run two races. A course like you described PSR for newbies and such, then another course using all of the hill for whoever else wants to race it., or the top 8 or 16 from the first race(?)

I'd hate to see us waste the potential of the Ball Mtn. hill.

There is something to be said for setting a mellow course for newbies to get experience but there is also something to be said for pushing yourself and stepping it up (if you feel you can) and running the big boy course.

Leaving one's comfort zone is the only way one really learns.

Eitherway I'm stoked on racing at Ball Mtn, thanks PSR!
Last edited by Guest on Thu May 19, 2005 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Thu May 19, 2005 12:57 am

I'm with Chris. Lets warm up with the newbie course and then step it up. The whole point of this series is to get the newbies prepared to race The Farm.

If Eric would post his course ideas once he sorts them out, I can do some practice courses with the local new kids.

Thanks for stepping up Eric.

Joe

Leonardo Ojeda
Venezuelan Racer
Venezuelan Racer

Post by Leonardo Ojeda » Thu May 19, 2005 1:55 am

How many races are left before Da Farm?

i know next its june 12th in VT, right?

i'll try to make it

Eric Brammer

the Farm Outlaw up north

Post by Eric Brammer » Thu May 19, 2005 2:05 am

Joe, I will indeed post up a general layout of my course choices. At this moment, the farthest slope, by the Dam and cul-de-sac, has a T.S. marked on it, and Shaggy's old 6Ft/O.C. course painted in place. This slope is my choice for an easier Hybrid-G.S., as it's two-half lanes wide at about 4 to 3-1/2 % gradient, then flattens out, and the cul-de-sac provides a runout. The hill by the Parking Lot/Garage is steeper, two lanes (no shoulder width added), and is almost 5% in grade. It's perfect for a good G.S. course for faster racers, but can be slowed down by how the course is laid out. Traction here is pretty good, so slowing by turning, thus slowing by course-setting is doable, but I too would rather 'open it up' on that slope. The 'front slope', going from the pinic area, is perfect for a intermediate-level G.S. or tight hybrid, as no braking is required, and even fairly straight courses will slow riders comfortably. It has the drawbacks of less nearby parking, and being hard to see in full-length.
With all of that, I'll still want to chat at a Racer's meeting to see how people feel about hills. Plan for being there early enough to skate around some (an extra 45 minutes) if you're at all concerned. I'd like to get the Racing going by 11 am. I'll be there by 8:30-9:00 am myself.

Allright enuff said for awhile from here, except this;
Thank You JOE I.!!
That last Farm Outlaw was a good time, and I was Stoked to see all the Racers who showed up! :-D

Karl, um, get your own board, would ya? ;-)

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Thu May 19, 2005 3:13 am

Thanks PSR, it was my pleasure.

Now check the video. You DQ your run. Messed up by a gimme cone, you go on the wrong side of the first cone in the next set. I demand a recount. Knock out PSR and I get 4 points instead of 4 points.

Joe

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Thu May 19, 2005 4:06 am

At least PSR stays on his board in the movie...

I need to get a split or a chicken offset, I slid out too many times sunday.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Leonardo Ojeda
Venezuelan Racer
Venezuelan Racer

Post by Leonardo Ojeda » Thu May 19, 2005 6:38 am

i tought it was only me, on my first run you can actually hear my wheels sliding a little bit, my second run i started faster and thats why i flew from the board, i think the same happened to Karl.

Christopher Bara
KILL CITY RACING
KILL CITY RACING

Post by Christopher Bara » Thu May 19, 2005 8:30 pm

hmmmm.....sounds like you need a nice sticky pair of Gumballs on the back of that board to hold it down....

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

fast and amazing

Post by John Gilmour » Mon May 23, 2005 4:35 am

What seems cool is that so many new faces showed up. It looked like about 1/3 of the people were new. So strangers....come on down- you're welcome to share the stoke- after a single day I guarantee you won't feel like a stranger anymore- more like you've been reunited with old friends..(Well some of us are old).

The ball dam should be a good race- I think it is time to set a blisteringly fast pro level course and another mellower across the fall line course for newbies.

Newbies should get a look at what is possible on a board- and also see how fast one can progress from newbie to pro level.

I think it is still waaaay too cold for Black flies....so get on with it before it gets too late.
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour

Marshall Deming

Post by Marshall Deming » Mon May 23, 2005 5:54 am

i had a great time at the race and i am going to jamaica. i have skated at the dam many times and can say that it is an awesome place for a race. the pavement is great and the traffic isn't bad at all i have been going to the dam twice a year for my entire life because my family is into the paddling the river release they have in the spring and fall. I plan on camping in jamaica state park on saturday and sunday. if anybody else is interested in camping, i highly recomend it. its a great place to stay and its only two minutes from the race.

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Re: fast and amazing

Post by Adam Daniels » Thu May 26, 2005 11:12 pm

John Gilmour wrote:What seems cool is that so many new faces showed up. It looked like about 1/3 of the people were new. So strangers....come on down- you're welcome to share the stoke- after a single day I guarantee you won't feel like a stranger anymore- more like you've been reunited with old friends..(Well some of us are old).

The ball dam should be a good race- I think it is time to set a blisteringly fast pro level course and another mellower across the fall line course for newbies.

Newbies should get a look at what is possible on a board- and also see how fast one can progress from newbie to pro level.

I think it is still waaaay too cold for Black flies....so get on with it before it gets too late.
i also like the idea of having 2 courses as this will be my very first slalom race. the best i have done so far is setting up 16 cones in a parking lot on 6ft spacing.

how long will this race last....until what time that day? also will people be selling gear at the event? and is there mandatory pading? what do you guys suggest to pack as far as board stuff?
No vestido para mi

Eric Brammer

The Farm Outlaw, Ball Mountain Dam, Jamaica Vermont

Post by Eric Brammer » Fri May 27, 2005 5:04 am

Adam, what you'll have is a better-than average tar that's both fast and sticky, and reasonably (not 'buttery', just "darn good") smooth. The Hills are abundant, and this not only applies to 'The Dam', but to a few "Sacred Skate Spots" nearby, which I'll give some directions to (hint, bring aG.S./Super-G deck, longboard, or even a luge for the local terrain), but the Race Venue at The Dam is going to be held mostly on the far side, which while steeper, is out of the traffic.
Both Race areas are actually on the same slope, but for safety wear+tear on Coneheads, I'm not going to recommend a 250-cone run, though it could be done here. As you drive into the Park for Ball Mt. Lake and Dam, you'll be heading uphill mostly (there's a short down, near the front gate,which we use on occassion,and it's nice, as it has an uphill runout - but the 'goods' are over the next dale), so go past the first parking spot (nice gazeebo there, and some picnic spots, great views), up over 'the hump'. Then you'll see, the Main hill. It's straight, steep-ish, and can be pretty darn fast. The Garage and Auxillary Parking Lot are there on the Right. If you park here (I expect a good dozen cars here), it's important that no one parks near in Entrance to this Lot! Don't block the garage, either, please.
This is going to be the Runout for the A class G.S., and I expect to have a paint-dotted course in place that'll be running at 18-to-28 mph, no ramps, limited push zone, and hopefully not much footbraking required (turns for speed control, yes, that's needed, as is enough common sense to Use the Lot to bleed off speed. Go straight past the Garage, and we'll get a liferaft to float you outa the lake, or a hearse to pick up the bits after you leave the right side of the Dam). I've run this hill for Years, and had only two bad falls happen to people I've been skating with. It's not 'easy' but it's got enough 'give' to it that IF you respect it, you should be O.K. Just don't go Past the Garage with much Excess speed, it gets steep for a wee bit. Should an experienced rider miss getting smoothly into the Parking Lot, the front of the Garage is banked, and has good Lawn for a 3rd-base-slide bailout. Oh, and the Restrooms are convienently in that Garage Buliding, should anyone need immediate relief. :-)
The lower section of this grade is where I feel the B class race should be held. There's some additional parking along the part of the road, as well as in the Cul-De-Sac itself, so cars parked in the way there may make for a course change. Speeds there for a Hybrid-G.S. (open, pumpable, but also across-the-hill) course should max out in the low 20's, but most will run it in the mid-upper teens. Turning for speed control is a needed skill, footbraking is nice to own, but may not be needed. If no cars park in the upper slots, then this slope is almost 3-lanes wide. With cars in those parking slots, two lanes is what you'll have, with a fairly flat loop to turn around in. [Note: If this hill is deemed too steep or otherwise unfriendly, then consider a Racer's Vote on using the near hill, starting from near the Gazeebo, down into the no-braking-needed gully]
Time for racing, if everything goes smoothly, I would think would be about 3-4 hours for 25-30 people. I'm guesing a good start time would be 10:30-11:00 AM ? Toss in a Picnic, or a longboard jam session, and maybe plan on 4-6 hours. The hills 'nearby' are all within 40 minutes (many closer, like 10 minutes away) for those who want to 'explore' a bit. Needed items; Water or other good hydrational drink, Road/Hiking munchies, bug spray repellant, Sunscreen, enough gas to travel an extra 60 miles in any direction, and a Positive Attitude.

Here's the bad, ugly news... :-( I had said the 12th was fine, and for a few of my local friends, it's cool. However, I had wanted the 5th, and as I recalled later, that was because my Anniversary is on the 11th, and I'm going to Maine that Week. So, I finally get a decent event up here on my turf, and I can't be there... Nor could I get a course-marshal on such short notice (Shaggy,Nick, and Nelson all have other plans that weekend), so the best I can do is get you the hills, and try to pre-mark the courses. Of course, this does give Joe his points back, as he can race up here, while I'm shuckin' clams in Bar Harbor.

I'll give you all a decent idea of my cone spacing for the B class race once I get it set and marked. The A class I'll also try to take note of, but if not, well, you guys can always change it when I'm not looking! ;-)

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Fri May 27, 2005 5:27 am

Darn! I have been bumming because I couldn't make the race on the 12th. Now I hear that it could've been on the 5th! If it were, that would've been great. People attending the Central Park race in NYC on the 4th could head over to VT afterwards and be able to make the slalom fest by Sunday. Come on guys, change is good!
Join Folding@Home for the good of humankind, or at least for your loved ones (whatever species they may be). It's easy, free and fun, too!

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Fri May 27, 2005 1:52 pm

sounds like i should bring most of my longboards and i don't really have a "gs" board, so i'll just put my homemade deck to the longest hole position. so i'll bring the UA for some fun stuff or that super GS, evof or some local bombing, and my slider for huge toeside pendies!
i just hope i don't shit my pants due to my lack of experience in slalom, but i did learn to pump yesterday and five minutes later pumped up an incline

so is this a yes to a beginner course?
No vestido para mi

Eric Brammer

Ball Mt.

Post by Eric Brammer » Fri May 27, 2005 4:39 pm

I just talked to the Park Rangers, and we're a GO! Outlaw style to boot (no paperwork?!). Of course we're being asked to be on our better behaviour... ;-)
We'll be on the Farside, and the Garage Lot is more-or-less ours for Parking. IF you all decide on using the 'nearside', from the Gazeebo back towards the Main Gate, please be aware that Traffic may be an issue. Where we'll be, we'll need to keep an eye out, but only the 'A' class hill will be anything close to being in 'harm's way' in terms of traffic. A "Cah Watcha" at the crest should be enough. The bottom, by the Cul-De-Sac shouldn't be an issue. Lots of room for vehichles and racers as the road is wide; just try to keep cars from blocking the Loop at the bottom.

Adam, bring your Slalom Board too. It isn't a true "beginner" slope, but rather 'Novice-Intermediate', but the Loop will help with slowing at the bottom. Shade and moisture along the road are bigger concerns, as is sweeping the pebbles out of the Loop, but the slope's speed will be controlled by the Course Layout.

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Fri May 27, 2005 5:22 pm

i am bringing my slalom board, i'm just saying i would have to put the trucks back a little further because at the moment it is set for the shortest wheelbase for TS

i am really looking forward to this day, hope to have tons of fun without any spills
No vestido para mi

Paul Pellerin

Post by Paul Pellerin » Sat May 28, 2005 4:09 am

Eric,

Did you find any information regarding lodging? We are thinking about heading to Vermont on Sat. late morning. If I arrive early enough, I will skate the hill as well as the pool. Per the map, the pool's location looks like it is close to the hill. Then again, maybe I should wait to skate the pool after Sunday's race.

It looks like you are doing a great job organizing this race. I feel bad that you will not be at the race.

Thanks for your assistance and all of your hard work. We appreciate it!!!