Slalom in CT on Sunday

Slalom Skateboarding in New England U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Karl Floitgraf

Joe Iacovelli

Slalom in CT on Sunday

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:47 pm

The weather looks good for this weekend and Lisa, the girls and I have a clean traffic free spot. We'll meet up about noon and skate as long as there is interest. I'll have plenty of loaner boards. Please email me for directions and cell number.

It is a state park with plenty of trails and such so non-skaters / families will have something to do. Here is a link to the park. If you click on the pdf map you can see the road looping on the left down to a circle. The road doesn't open until Memorial day, so no cars, no sand, bring a broom for acorns.

http://dep.state.ct.us/stateparks/parks ... on.htm#map

Joe
iaco(at)comcast(dot)net

Matthew Wilson

bogus

Post by Matthew Wilson » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:57 pm

ok, I love family...I really do. But damnit if my new nephew is getting baptized on Sunday!
AND I'm leaving in 3 weeks for Colorado!!!

This could have been my chance to skate with some of the greatest folks I know! I'm gonna miss you all very much. I'll be back for visits for sure.

But, gosh, I'm gonna be grumpy on Sunday.

Hit a cone for me, friends.
slalom is good

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:59 pm

For you Matt,

We'll hit em all!

Joe

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:24 pm

Joe,
We just got back from snowboarding, how did the weekend session work out? We will try and make it down for your next practice day.
Glenn

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:29 pm

It was great Glenn. It's a road that is closed until the park opens for the season. It's a good size hill that mellows out, but doesn't go flat and runs into a circle, so no footbraking.

It has plenty of shade and would be a great outlaw race, but single track only because of the curve in the road.

Joe

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Get The Cob-Webs Out Session

Post by William Tway » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:39 pm

Joe, would love to run a "Get the Cob-Webs Out" practice race next Sunday at the infamous hill in Bethel. Do you remember that site that had the dates of the soap box racing schedule? I believe they use the hill one Sunday every April. Glad you all had fun Sunday.

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:46 pm

Tway,

I'm in. Sunday?

http://www.pxmall.com/sbd/bigeast.htm

Let me know and we can spread the word. We've got new skaters that need the road time.

Joe

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Joe needs a Avatar

Post by William Tway » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:13 pm

Right on Joe. Thanks for the link. I'll check all the necessary channels (wife weather etc) and start spreading the word. In the meantime, I got a new Avatar for ya...

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:49 pm

That picture is a prime example of why we should have a grass roots scene here in CT.

At the farm in 2002, 21 racers posted a time, 12-15 couldn't make the course. I'm foot draging in that pic to be dead last, because of course, there was a bet involved. All I had to do was post a time to win.

Slalom's not golf. It's not bowling. If you suck, you don't finish. Practices and smaller grass roots races are necessary to be able to complete a race worthy course. It's also key to your enjoyment. Nothing will turn an enthusiastic beginer off like showing up to their first race and being in way over their head.

In short - come out and give it a try now. There are plenty of new people, but come August, the smart ones will not be new anymore.

Joe

Eric Brammer

That hill..

Post by Eric Brammer » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:39 am

That looks a bit, um, familiar.. Wouldn't be the same place last year's The Farm was, would it? Anyways, even IF it is, I might be ble to herd some cats and nab 2-3 teens that would want to step from snowboard onto Sk8board real soon.
Directons, anyone? Tway, You missed it, snowboarding this season was good,once we got past mid-January. Where in the heck were you hibernating? Dude, gotta RIDE sometime...
"Surfin' these Old Hills since back in The Day"

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Farm Pre-Outlaw Race #-1 is a go.

Post by William Tway » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:23 am

Yeah Eric I would have loved to get some time on the Mountain this season. My day is coming though. As soon as the kids get a bit older, I'll get plenty of time up there. My new Madd is very lonely right now but she has many years of carves to look forward to.

As for this Sunday, I have to take the kid to a party so I suggest we try for Sat. and set a single lane hybrid. There will probably be some traffic but the road is plenty wide. I'll bring the broom and timer. Set up around 11am?

Does this work for you Joe?
Last edited by William Tway on Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:43 am

If the weather is decent I might be up for skating in CT...

Tway..I'll ride up with you, keep you company.

:-)

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:01 pm

I smell a New England series this summer. Gloucester, Bethel, Joe's new spot, etc etc. It'd be nice to be able to participate in this sport without having to get on planes. Unfortunately I'll probably have to miss this weekend, but won't miss many, have fun guys.

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

CT Sounds Good

Post by Claude Regnier » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:56 pm

So is there somewhere else to ride it we get busted?

I need some skate time or is it a short road trip?
Many Happy Pumps!

Eric Brammer

New England, but North of CT

Post by Eric Brammer » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:01 pm

CT on this Saturday sound great, however, I'll need Directions (please note that was also asked for on NCDSA-I hope someone got mail). It's time to switch up boards, from long and glidy to short and turny. Thank the Lord the weather has let me switch rides without the usual 'mud season' interfering!

Keep in mind I've got the Ball Mt. dam road in Jamaica, and we don't get hassled there at all. I'm of course,always looking for other spots in the area. Okemo Mt. Road has distinct possiblities, and I'll ask about that soon.Those are just two 'race worthy' spots I can think of off the top of my head.

Has anyone here considered talking to Tim Cayer at GSI? He's got some NICE terrain up in Northern New Hampsha, nestled into the White Mountians. Just a thought...

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Directions

Post by William Tway » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:03 pm

Excellent. This Saturday appears to be shaping up quite nicely. Now if we can just get Noah up here to give us old guys and rookies a few pointers.

Eric the directions can be found on the NCDSA CC from the Farm 4.0 (as was noted in the post by RB). This gathering is going to be very informal. The REAL series will start in May.

Map to site...
http://www.pxmall.com/sbd/map.htm

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:11 pm

Are you guys meeting on Saturday at 11am? Ben, Millie and I will try and make it down. As of now, the weekend is open. Anyone from the North Shore Mass or Boston area that needs a ride, give me a call and we can try and set something up. Hope to see you all there.
Glenn

Eric Brammer

We'll likely be there...

Post by Eric Brammer » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:37 am

I 'think' I can nab Huck and Adam, and then scoot on down in the early AM to be there by 11, provided I don't take a wrong turn (ask JG about how well I follow directions! :-) ). I'll bring about 20 cones, and whatever chalk I can scrounge. I'll have extra boards for thosse who want to 'just play', including a longboard or two.

[ Is Joe bringing a BBQ grill? Boy I hope so! Of course, if that's impracticle, I do recall that the burger stand down the way had good eats... ] :-D

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Bring it on.

Post by William Tway » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:47 am

Hell with all this interest...we might as well make a race out of it. Single lane Hybrid Jam format...winner buys the beers. Farm Series Race #1 is on. Bring it.

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:36 am

Tway...email me or call me...

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

points breakdown

Post by William Tway » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:19 pm

Points Breakdown for The Farm outlaw series

1st Place = 100 points

2nd Place = 75 points

3rd Place = 50 points

4th Place = 25 points

5th Place = 20 points

6th Place = 15 points

7th Place = 10 points

8th Place = 8 points

9th Place = 7 points

10th Place = 5 points

Places 11 thru 20 (or to last racer at each race) will earn 4 points each.

ENTRY FEES: N/A

Eric Brammer

Points!!

Post by Eric Brammer » Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:40 am

Oh, man, just like on the show "Who's Line is it?", only better, because no one has to kiss Drew to get more Points. ;-)

Eric Brammer

Pigs, I saw Pigs!..

Post by Eric Brammer » Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:39 am

Down on The Farm, we had to go hide from a Boar, as it was chasing us o'er hill and dale. Good thing we had a lumber yard nearby to fence us in from that big ol' pig. Once we're over the ridge, and had the fencin' up, we could get down to some Skatin'. Oink.