Ma, NH, training days.

Slalom Skateboarding in New England U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Karl Floitgraf

Matthew Wilson

lala

Post by Matthew Wilson » Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:12 pm

terry kirby wrote:I will not be there. I hate driving in to Boston. It has to be a sure thing. Please let me know if its and better across the board than Magnolia.
I don't blame you, TK. Driving into Bosotn sucks the big fat monkey. We'll give you the update.
slalom is good

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:43 pm

terry kirby wrote:I will not be there. I hate driving in to Boston. It has to be a sure thing. Please let me know if its and better across the board than Magnolia.
Too bad they won't let you on the train, freak.

Whoops, thought I was on the darkside.

Sorry

Joe

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:58 pm

I just think Magnolia has got the best set up for wind, foot traffic, car traffic, easy to get to, bathrooms, surface, pitch, and lack of bikers, walkers,lookie loo's etc. Thats just me though.

Paul Pellerin

Post by Paul Pellerin » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:40 am

Terry,

I hate driving to Boston as well, but sometimes it must be done. I'm coming from Portland, ME, so we could meet at Portsmouth circle or Rye Airfield and take one car into the city.

John has another session planned for Sunday, which I plan on attending. Let me know if you plan to attend.

Best regards,

Paul

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

The new hill-

Post by John Gilmour » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:28 am

JS, MW, DS, KF all watched the Weasel blaze some fast runs today. The surface was as good as I thought, but the hill did not carry as much speed as I personally like- though for intermediate and beginner skaters- it think the place is just about perfect- and nice and scenic. Its also a nice place to walk around. Parking is easy. And it is right next to Bussey hill in the Arboretum- so a few impromptu downhill runs can be done late in the day once foot traffic dies down. I think it is comparable in speed to Magnolia except the surface is grippier and the pitch is just a smidge less.

I set a technical tight course (not super tight- nothing tighter than 6.5 foot on center)- so that everyone could use the surface to improve their pumping- course reading and angulation skills. It looked like Karl improved some- so did Jim . No one was willing to charge it at absolute full speed....yet.

However I am determined to find an even better spot for ridiculously fast tech slalom. In retrospect- the biggest hill in the arboretum, Bussey Hill isn't quite fast enough- so I suppose we'll need to find a bigger faster hill- hopefully with a slower one next to it. So far the best two places I have seen are Noah's practice spot and Troy's PERFECT Hampton Bay practice spots. I still don't know why we haven't had an outlaw race at either spot. I think Troy and Noah have done enough be finding these spot- we just need someone to man the timing table and organize it so those guys can race.
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:56 pm

I have to say I agree with TK. Magnolia is in one of the greatest towns on earth, has great surf/beaches 5 miles away, is totally safe, has next to no foot or car traffic, and just rules. The Arboretum is a sick hill and has perfect, I'll say it again, perfect pavement, but the logistics for large scale sessions/contests are a nightmare. It would only be a matter of time before someone walking/biking the hill got spooked/mad/hit. Man what great pavement though.

Matthew Wilson

Arboretum, great asphalt; but Magnolia still reigns.

Post by Matthew Wilson » Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:57 pm

Derek Smith wrote:I have to say I agree with TK. Magnolia is in one of the greatest towns on earth, has great surf/beaches 5 miles away, is totally safe, has next to no foot or car traffic, and just rules. The Arboretum is a sick hill and has perfect, I'll say it again, perfect pavement, but the logistics for large scale sessions/contests are a nightmare. It would only be a matter of time before someone walking/biking the hill got spooked/mad/hit. Man what great pavement though.
I'm with you Derek. Although Magnolia is a bit of a drive from us in or south of Boston, it is by no means difficult to access. Also, as you've said, the pavement at the arboretum is fantastic, but the possibility of having some sort of larger scale race there is pretty slim and a dual is proabably just out of the question since we would need to allow for foot and bike traffic. Plus the path has a significant crown which also limits the potential.

Magnolia is just good for everything: parking, surface, slope, crowd control, and we might even be able to get a permit for a race there if we work around the soccer schedule.

Finally, Magnolia is a great point to bring in the Northerners like TK and Paul. Everyone drives a little ways, but not too much. That leaves the crew from CT in the dust, however. I think we just need to find two main spots: one easily accessible for the southies from CT and one for the Northies from NH and ME.

Finally, I really do think that we walk/skate on thin ice at Magnolia. It may not seem it, but we could easily lose that place if a disgruntled driver makes any complaint.
I am wondering how we could establish a solid and supportive relationship with the park's board of directors. Any ideas?
Maybe a donation to the park? Volunteering to do a park cleanup? I'm not sure, but I think that despite Joe I's talk with that lady on that one occasion, we stand a good chance to get tossed if we goof up just once.
Any thoughts?
slalom is good

Jim Siener
B.A.S.S.
B.A.S.S.

Post by Jim Siener » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:37 pm

It was good to skate last night, first time since the Farm for me. The new Aboretum spot is sweet for surface but its still a foot drag to stop. Only advantage is that the surface is smoother than Bussy hill which can ground down a new shoesole in one session. Still have to look out for walkers, bikers and dogs but everyone is very friendly and it is absolutely beautiful. I have yet to see a ranger while skating there but John tells me they are there. I am bias to skating there over Magnolia only because its a 5 minute ride for me versus 1hour+ to go to Magnolia. And then you have to deal with summer traffic on 95 which is hell on a nice weekend. But Magnolia seems to be the best hassle free spot I've ever skated.

Weasel is ripping and styling with that "I'm just a kid having fun so eat my dust" kind of attitude. Its sick.

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:23 pm

Hey guys, figured I'd throw this up here first if anyone local wants it, I'm selling a basically new Roe Henry Hester 04 PS deck. It's not yet on their website but I can send a pic if you want. 29-1/8" x 8-7/8". 2 drillings in front and 3 in the rear give you a total wheelbase range of 18.25" to 19.75" (in half inch increments). $80. You know you want it.

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:44 pm

That is a sweet board. One of a kind too. I love it.

Ben Chapman

Post by Ben Chapman » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:36 am

his board is basically new no scratches or dings

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:53 am

Saturday September 4th -my birthday!
"Saturday: mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 70s. "
We should totally skate magnolia. Whose in?
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:11 am

D, I'll give you a Supaflex plus 25.00. Deal?

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:14 pm

Done, thanks for the salesmanship too Ben. You're hired.

Ben Chapman

Post by Ben Chapman » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:54 am

lol thanks derek

i wanna skate saturday at magnolia

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:41 pm

What time were you guys thinking on Saturday?

Ben Chapman

Post by Ben Chapman » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:38 pm

i think karls organizing it, karl what time

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:12 am

I can't do Saturday, can do another day, Sunday or Monday

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:10 am

Surf's Up. Slalom will have to wait

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:59 pm

Good Harbor my friend. Low tide is slalom time 5 miles away.

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:04 pm

Crowds? Is it worth the drive? I'm up for surfing a new spot.

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:11 pm

I'm bagging my Cape Cod plan so I'm game. Not sure about the crowds. Saturday is shot for me though, out in the boat all day with the boys, maybe some surfing off Essex. BBQ on the tip of Crane's beach, stripers, aaaaah.

Jim Siener
B.A.S.S.
B.A.S.S.

Post by Jim Siener » Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:17 pm

My company is letting us out early this Friday for Labor Day. Anyone up for a slalom session at the Arbortem at about 4:00? Or maybe a session at the Hyde Park skate park? Lets start Labor Day weekend right.

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:06 pm

Surfing at Good Harbor Beach can be good. You have to wait untill the lifeguards leave at 5:00 (parking is also free after five). I think the waves at comprable to what is happening at Hampton (maybe slightly smaller?). Facing the ocean, the waves seem to have better shape up at the right end of the beach. There is a rock piont up on that end and a little tidal river. It is best surfed at mid tides. High tide is to be avioded, the waves just crash on the beach. Ben and his buddies may be going up to Good Harbor tonight. I will be coaching Millie's soccer team.

TK you said you may be free tommorrow? The kids are out of school and we may be looking to skate for an extended lunch session. Derek are you up for a lunch skate tommorrow?

This weekend we could skate Saturday (early) or Monday afternoon. We may be going up to NH Saturday-Monday morning.

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:13 pm

After this weekend Good Harbor is free reign, parking on the road too. It will be clutch this week if things get really crazy up in Hampton and start closing out. I can skate Sunday until about 2 or 3, and Monday at anytime. Lunch session is on, I may be there earlier too, 11 ish. With everyone flaking out of work already over here, I may just stay till 2.

Matthew Wilson

in VT

Post by Matthew Wilson » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:12 pm

Well, I'll be in Vermont this weekend celbrating my anniversary with Jessa (2 years of marriage). So, I will be missing out on the skating and surfing. Though I have never surfed before. I have this thing about water...like it's going to kill me. Gotta get over that.

Anyway, I will be thinking of you all this weekend. Have a grand 'ol time.
slalom is good

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:39 am

Matt, you are not alone in your fear of H20. Our dear friend John Gilmour is also stricken with this fear. I have been goading and chiding him to surf for about 4 years now and nothing.

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:42 am

Glen, I will be staying here to be on the surf. Feel free to come up and hang out this weekend. T

Matthew Wilson

Post by Matthew Wilson » Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:59 am

terry kirby wrote:Matt, you are not alone in your fear of H20. Our dear friend John Gilmour is also stricken with this fear. I have been goading and chiding him to surf for about 4 years now and nothing.
Really? I would never have thunk it.
slalom is good

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:36 pm

anyone racing this weekend?

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:54 pm

I would like to practice this weekend. We may want to aviod Saturdays at Magnolia due to soccer starting up this weekend. Ben is out for the next four weeks (doctor's orders), he hit his head real hard last weekend. I am coaching soccer as well and my team plays at 10:30 saturday. so i can skate after 2 on saturday or any time sunday. Ben said he would come down and conehead for a while and Millie is also interested.

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:59 pm

Any interest in the Winfrey's hill? Late in the day on Saturday maybe?

Christian Simsuangco

Post by Christian Simsuangco » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:11 pm

sorry to hear about that glenn. are you guys still coming down to athens?
ben get well soon dude, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!
ride or die motha trucka.

Ben Chapman

Post by Ben Chapman » Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:13 pm

no we arent coming :(

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:12 pm

Saturday 3pm in Rowley Glenn, Millie and I are skating. Big hill, possible bust, probably not. Ben will be there to critique. All are welcome. BBQ at my house after if interest is there. Anyone else coming, or is slalom officially dead?

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:26 pm

If anyone wants to give me a ride I'd love to. I'll chip in for gas.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:28 pm

There's a train that goes straight to Rowley if you want to do that Karl. I can certainly pick you up there, or elsewhere if need be.

Christian Simsuangco

Post by Christian Simsuangco » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:23 am

sorry to hear about that ben. chin up, atleast you didn't bite the big one during a race like myself.
ride or die motha trucka.

Matthew Wilson

Post by Matthew Wilson » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:20 pm

Derek Smith wrote:Saturday 3pm in Rowley Glenn, Millie and I are skating. Big hill, possible bust, probably not. Ben will be there to critique. All are welcome. BBQ at my house after if interest is there. Anyone else coming, or is slalom officially dead?
DEAD? Slalom just woke up again, it's definately not dead. I am ill, so I haven't been skating.
But I hope you all can get together this weekend for some skating. Perfect weather for it.
If by chance I feel better, I will try to make it. Post directions.
slalom is good

Terry Whalen

Post by Terry Whalen » Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:20 am

Slalom's not dead - it's just sleeping south of the North Shore slalom epicenter! Have fun riding this weekend guys.

Terry Kirby - is it possible to get specs for the farm ramps? I was thinking of building a smaller portable version to use at flatter training spots.

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:51 am

Terry, just buy a trailer and you can borrow ours! I'm not kidding.TK

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:00 am

Can we get the ramps for Memorial Drive? How would we get them there? I can store them in the garage- but I would need someone with a pick up- or I guess I could just use tie down straps and put them on my hood and trunk and roof.

OUCH.
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:22 pm

John can you buy a trailer? All we need is a trailer and you can take them to down town boston. Uncle Henrys is a good place to start looking. Is there a hitch on the E500?

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:35 pm

I have a trailer guys. It's rigged up with racks up top for kayaks, but the racks are removable. It doesn't have plates and just sits by my shed with the racks up for my kayaks. I'd be hesitant to drive it into downtown boston with the phony expired plates I use whenever I've driven it from my house to Ipswich bay 2 miles away. Johnny law has a tracking system attached to my behind. I can store them at my house, plenty of space. I could transport them to Magnolia from time to time. They won't fit in the back of the Dakota TK? I thought that thing was ram tough.

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:15 pm

The Dakota is the soccer mom version of a pick up. Dogs and groceries only. If Gilmour doent buy a trailer today theyre all yours.T

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:06 pm

SLALOM IS DEAD

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:44 pm

nah we're just busy. Ben's injuried and bryan and I are too busy with school (I swear)to skate a lot recently.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Terry Whalen

Post by Terry Whalen » Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:23 am

Bringing it Back to Life!

How about getting a local race together - post hurricane season / pre snowboard season? Nothing fancy - like Magnolia this Spring with timers and some head to head racing (and the ramps)! What's the soccer schedule like in fall?

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:04 pm

Terry,

I'm in on helping organize. Let's make it an AM race only ;-).

I've been pondering this seriously. Call me. I'd like to bounce some ideas off of you.

Joe

Matthew Wilson

anyone skating today?

Post by Matthew Wilson » Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:46 pm

I don't have a car, but will do my best to get to wherever folks are skating.

Let me know.

617-500-4121
matt@vasocreta.com
slalom is good