Ma, NH, training days.

Slalom Skateboarding in New England U.S.A.

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor, Karl Floitgraf

Noah Heinle
Noah

Post by Noah Heinle » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:20 pm

Matthew Wilson

I proclaim it

Post by Matthew Wilson » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:14 pm

Yes, if there is a sissy in the crowd it is I. I freely admit it. There have been like 2 runs ever that I have gone all balls out on and they were noit on fast courses.

I think I should where a t-shirt that says "Don't Be A Sissy" in big pink letter on the front just to inspire me to worry less about breaking a bone and more about getting through the cones more quickly and effectively.

Point me to the Sissy's Anonymous meeting please.
slalom is good

Jim Siener
B.A.S.S.
B.A.S.S.

Post by Jim Siener » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:13 am

Come north Joe and join the sissy club. We'd love to have you.

I respect your fear of not getting killed. I should probably take more notice since I am a Dad now. But that is what pads are for (I should get a better helmut come to think of it). Part of slaloming at age 39 is a last gasp at learning something new before the body says "no" to futher abuse. I figure if I can just learn now how to ride a pool I can stay young forever. Push that comfort zone!!!! Its fun and totally rad, man!!

Jim Siener
B.A.S.S.
B.A.S.S.

Post by Jim Siener » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:14 am

Oh and Matt, your young, you got no excuse.

Go for it!!!!!!

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Saturday

Post by Henry Julier » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:03 am

Guys-

We are about to get slammed with rain, but it seems like Saturday might be drier towards the afternoon... I'm coming up anyways to see my aunt and cousins but I may or may not be at Gloucester depending on the weather. I'll make a more final decision tomorrow.

H

Matthew Wilson

Re: Saturday

Post by Matthew Wilson » Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:22 pm

Henry Julier wrote:Guys-

We are about to get slammed with rain, but it seems like Saturday might be drier towards the afternoon... I'm coming up anyways to see my aunt and cousins but I may or may not be at Gloucester depending on the weather. I'll make a more final decision tomorrow.

H
If the weather is dry, you better be there, HJ. God knows you and I need the practice. We didn't even qualify at the Farm. We suck and must get better.

I'm tired of being shown up by old men.
slalom is good

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:29 pm

We're all a bunch of sissies. From now on we only set big, fast, tight courses at Magnolia too. Wednesday I set a course with Glenn and Ben Chapman with 5 foot centers up top down the big hill, dumping you out screaming fast at the end into 5.5' centers. Ben pushed it over the edge and went down hard. That kid's hard as nails, no sissy there. The Farm was faster than I've ever raced and we all need to get used to that. And Jim, just cause they misprinted you winning the loser class instead of me doesn't let you off the hook. Magnolia is a great place for your wife and Molly to spend a day. PS. I skated the Newburyport park on Wednesday with a 46 year old guy who ripped. As he was leaving I think I heard him call us all sissies.

Matthew Wilson

we should be careful

Post by Matthew Wilson » Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:03 pm

Derek,

I agree with you on the type of courses we should be setting at Magnolia, man: big, fast and tight.

We should also be careful to make sure we set a couple of easier courses though for newbies that show up. We want to remain inviting and not exclude newer slalomers.

BTW, did you hear that JG said that the courses at the Farm turned out to be less technical that he had planned on??
What, is he psycho?
slalom is good

Jim Siener
B.A.S.S.
B.A.S.S.

Post by Jim Siener » Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:17 pm

Derek, I tried to rectify the bad posting on the C Class results on NCDSA by pointing it out. You got the shaft on that one, sorry dude. You definately deserve all the credit for winning, first race too. Excellent!

But I am in agreement that only big fast courses at Magnolia. Maybe we could do a session at the Arbortum some time too. Closer to home for me so I could get away easier from the kid to skate. Millenium Park is also a good option for me. Weasel and JG have scoped the place out and it is fast too.

Derek I am hoping to put the new Skaterbuilt board together this weekend so I can try it out. So much to do, so little time. Met John Rutherford (ex JG disciple) who is skating Hyde Park and Rye alot. Hope to hook up with him and you too sometime soon.

Sissy Jim

Glenn Chapman

Post by Glenn Chapman » Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:23 pm

All this talk about sissies made me think of a funny quote (that I saw somewhere on this site) that may help all of us gain some perspective "Saying you are the toughest guy in slalom is like saying you are the toughest guy in Band" :)
See you all this weekend and bring your band instruments (skateboards)and we will see who is the toughest skater in Gloucester.

Matthew Wilson

Post by Matthew Wilson » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:21 pm

Glenn Chapman wrote:All this talk about sissies made me think of a funny quote (that I saw somewhere on this site) that may help all of us gain some perspective "Saying you are the toughest guy in slalom is like saying you are the toughest guy in Band" :)
See you all this weekend and bring your band instruments (skateboards)and we will see who is the toughest skater in Gloucester.
That's too funny.

I like the Arboretum idea too, but I have one big objection: that big ol foot drag you have to put down to stop after every single run.
A) The shoes wear out real fast.
B) I don't mind risking getting hurt to make a cone, but not to stop.

Call me a wuss (which I freely admit that I am), but the Arboretum has just got a really high probability of causing injury.

The Millenium park site sounds good though.

But Gloucester just rocks. I am really aching to get off the paths and onto that big hill.
slalom is good

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:49 pm

Too Funny Glenn. No worries on the stackings Jim, as long as it's perfectly clear that the maddogs rule the C Class. Maddog Glenn kicked both of our butts anyway, look at the times. Wedding this weekend so no slalom, but Newburyport Skatepark next Wednesday or Thursday or both with fellow "old man" if anyone wants to join us. The weekend after this it's on for sure, Arboretum, Gloucester, wherever. Have fun this weekend and NO SISSY COURSES!!

Paul Pellerin

Post by Paul Pellerin » Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:15 am

Hey Matt & Glenn,

I'll skate whatever course you set up. John set up a course at the end of our session that was impossible for me to complete. However, I will not improve if I practice easy courses. I will also learn from watching you guys skate tough courses. Additionally, I will learn how to set up more difficult courses and can practice them at home.

Glenn that was a funny quote. However, I don't think anyone that slaloms is a sissy. The speed that is generated when slaloming appears to be faster than when riding parks. A wipeout with that much speed even with full pads has got to hurt. I was lucky not to wipeout while practicing with JG the other week. A few times the back appeared to be sliding out, but I was able to control it and continue through the (sissy) course. What a rush!! I'm sure a fall at the speed I was going would be comparable to my worst fall(s) riding transitions.

I think its great you guys are pushing one another (and encouraging) to improve. This is exactly the type of skate environment I have been seeking since I started skating again.

P.S.

My Roe Crossfire came in today. It looks great. No other equipment arrived and the TTC truck I ordered is currently out of stock.

See you tomorrow if the pavement is dry.

Matthew Wilson

looking good

Post by Matthew Wilson » Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:41 pm

Things are looking good today, guys and gals.

I am going to heaed up to Gloucester in just about an hour or so.

See you there.

oh...bring WATER. bring SUNSCREEN. Bring something to sit on and make shade with (chair and umbrella).

I have an extra chair that I will bring for anyone who doesn't have one.

I also have an industrial brrom, 25 cones and some chalk.

Today we get to slalom. What a good day.
slalom is good

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:54 am

Today kicked much ass, I think we all really learned something today. Henry is revamping his style with good results. Matt pulled it together and was making that TS with speed, Glenn and Ben as always were blazin fast but I'm not sure about out cambria/avalon challenge. We'll have to see in head to head, Glenn ;) . Paul was amazing for being on board for the first time in 19 years. Your gonna rip soon. Millie was right on it, training to rip up the girls division of breck.

No gimmies next time... ;) Thanks everyone for a great time. (Especially to Henry and JG for the rides). Good pizza too.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

woo woo

Post by Henry Julier » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:34 am

Hey, Saturday was great. Thats the most I've skated this summer, and it showed, for a while. Then gilmour was like "you suck" and told me how to pump... now I feel better. Karl, you're welcome for the ride and I'm sorry I had to bail early... but my family was glad to see me. Thanks also to the Chapmans for the pizza.

Bonjour,

H

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:55 am

Tuesday at Millenium Park. Good weather. Anyone in?
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:43 pm

Hey all,

Sounds like I missed a great session, figured I would. I'm guessing our Wednesday session will get rained out too Glenn. I'm looking to get out this coming weekend if anyone is available. Rye Airfield this week some night if it's raining too. Good to hear we have a new member, welcome Paul. So how about this coming weekend?

Matthew Wilson

Re: woo woo

Post by Matthew Wilson » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:14 pm

Henry Julier wrote:

Bonjour,

H
Hey, take that kind of crap to the France forum, Henry!!

;-)

Thanks, everybody, for Saturday. What a blast! Then again, how could you not have fun skating all day with a bunch of East Coasters?

Karl, thanks for that weight distribution advice. By board stuck to the ground much better all day. Makes me think I should have started running harder duros.

Henry, always good to ride with you, bud.

Chapmans: all of you, you're one kick-butt family. Loved getting to hang with you. Thanks for all the course running advice, Glenn.

Paul, dude...great meeting you and the fam. Hope I didn't scare you away from coming out with us again after my naked run through the GS course...oh, wait that was only a dream I had that night. Sorry. Glad you could make it out.

Dawn, JG great seeing you two. JG, you owe Dawn big time for taking care of your a**.

ok, the boss is coming, gotta run.
slalom is good

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:21 pm

Anyone up for a session this weekend?

Paul Pellerin

Post by Paul Pellerin » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:28 pm

Hey Glenn, Ben, Millie, Matt, Karl & Henry,

It was nice to finally meet you guys. Thank you for a great day of skating. I had a blast. The park is a great place to slalom. I appreciate the use of the board, your encouragement, and training tips. Hopefully, we can skate again soon. I need to improve a lot before John's race in Sept.

Derek thanks for welcoming me into the slalom community. I look forward to slaloming with you soon. I would also like to skate Newburyport as well.

I received the bearings on Monday, but nothing else. My orders are a mess. The wheels and cones will not arrived until Monday the 23rd. It would have been nice if I could have ordered everything from one dealer.

I also wanted to wish Glenn and his family the best of luck at the Breck contest this weekend. East Coast Rules!!

Thanks again!!

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:45 pm

Newburyport rules Paul. I was there yesterday and it kicked my butt. That middle bowl is the most fun skating you can possibly have. Hey all, is that race in September going to happen? John? Paul, how about trying to get in some racing this weekend? Hampton? Arboretum Jim? Anyone?

[/img][/url]

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:08 pm

Forgot to add, selling my Roe PS Unlimited. Used for 5 months, minor wear where I kicked it up like a street deck. Stiff flex (190-220lbs.) $70. You know you want it, so come and git it.

http://www.roeslalom.com/performance.html

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:18 pm

I'd love this weekend.

Does the Unlimited make a good GS board, I need something to replace my Turner downhill fatboy. Bring it I might buy it off you. Bring it, if we skate.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Matthew Wilson

September

Post by Matthew Wilson » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:40 pm

Don't know how much we should rely on the September race, JG doesn't seem to indicate that he is going to hold anything for sure. But if we don't hear something soon, I think that we should hold a small race collectively.

I'm not sure about this weekend...I heard rain is highly probable. But we'll see.
slalom is good

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:49 pm

Alright, September monster race at Magnolia. Cook out there after, hill bomb, pin the tail on the donkey, just like the farm. I also have a huge hill near my house where there will be an outlaw Super G sometime beforehand. When I say super G, I mean super G. Get the T Shirts to the printer. Matt learn to sing cause we need a band. I'm thinking Poison covers. I'll call all of the manufacturers and tell them to start sending tens of thousands of dollars worth of goods immediately. That is all for now.

Paul Pellerin

Post by Paul Pellerin » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:30 pm

Derek,

I'd like to slalom this weekend. Hopefully, the location is a little closer to home. When you say Hampton, is that North Hampton, NH? That would be easier for me and the family. Also, may need to borrow a board or maybe just the wheels if the front truck comes in by Friday.

As of Sunday, John indicated he wants to hold the contest, but no permits etc... yet. So the contest is not set in stone at this point. The fall is a great time to skate so we should try to have a contest.

See ya this weekend if the rain holds.

Ben Chapman

Post by Ben Chapman » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:19 am

derek i say we have the race in late october eary noveber when the gate is closed

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:44 pm

Good call Ben. The gate being closed is key. We could do a 100 cone course if the gate is closed. Paul, looks like rain tomorrow I guess. We'll see. If it rains I'll just go to Rye Airfield anyway. We'll see.

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:07 am

Derek,

Sunday at Millenium park? Or if we do magnolia can I get a ride with someone?
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Terry Whalen

Sunday Ride?

Post by Terry Whalen » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:19 pm

Anybody riding in West Roxbury or Magnolia tomorrow?

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:45 pm

I just spoke with Wentzle Ruml IV and he is up for skating the Boston Common-

That would be my first choice- Paul Pellerin also knows it and likes the spot. SO at least we would all be able to meet there easily. The south station bus gives easy bus access for those from the cape. Paul has 100 shiny new cones to break in.

It that is a bust-the we can hit the
The Millenium park + the Arboretum are only about 5 minutes from each other.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the other side of the arboretum may have been repaved.......
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:52 am

Wentzle will be arriving in Boston on the 10:10 bus. I'll be setting up in the commons around 11:00

Near the starbucks at the bottom of the hill on beacon street.

To make it interesting- maybe we'll simulate race type conditions.

So far the list is

Wentzle
Karl Floitgraf
Terry Whalen
Paul Pellerin
Wnedy Chao
Alexander Scott

Derek- you coming- TK?
john gilmour

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:15 pm

Wish I knew guys, my computer at home is done with so I have no internet access on the weekend. I did wind up going to Magnolia with the family and skating the upper lot. There were a ton of people there for a soccer game on the bottom field. In the future my cell # is (978) 479-3353.

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:38 pm

Sorry Derek I tried to find contact info for everyone. We need to make a call list.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:43 pm

No worries, you're right though a call list would be handy. I know that we all don't check this thread too much on the weekend. I'll start a thread.

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:35 pm

Terry : 603 235 6429

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Slalom for the next few days

Post by John Gilmour » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:20 pm

Wednesday is Magnolia woods lunchtime session with Derek and Glenn-

Thursday is slalom in Boston- hopefully the arboretum- I'll be there along with Derek, Karl, Weasel Contact: Derek

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY is TS on a mild slope with good surface and women skating by in Bikinis- perfect weather 76 degree high- along the Charles river at the intersection of Western Ave and Memorial Drive.

889 Memorial drive Cambridge for those mapquesters

---if you are a newbie lurker- and want to check it out- this is your chance to come on down... Tunes and maybe food. Free stickers for all newbies- boards will be available.

I will bring my video camera to all sessions and will post up clips.
john gilmour

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:37 pm

The Thursday Throwdown is upon us. Come one come all....if you dare!!!!! I should be there at 4 or 5.

Ben Chapman

Post by Ben Chapman » Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:11 am

i will be at magnolia, hopefully biggie and windy will come

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

wow!!

Post by John Gilmour » Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:59 am

I have found the best single track slalom spot in New England- suitable for all abilities- as fast as you want to go perfect surface- lots of parking-

They repaved

Its amazing- I haven't even walked the whole hill yet--- Derek- you are going to have a coronary when you see how perfect this place is.

Thursday will be awesome- anyone else in? We may need a few walkie talkies.
john gilmour

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:29 pm

I'll bring a pair of walkie talkies John. Come on now people, this is gonna be fun.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:12 pm

If we had a bunch of people we could have a little downhill as well- I've got to post footage of this place-

The pavement grip on the Gilmour scale 1-10,

I think we'll have to have some event here.
john gilmour

Jim Siener
B.A.S.S.
B.A.S.S.

Post by Jim Siener » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:40 pm

Where is the Thursday night session? The Commons? Aboretum? I want to be there.

And John where is this awesome single track?

Matthew Wilson

Let's do it!!

Post by Matthew Wilson » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:20 pm

John, cough up the details on this spot, brother! Is this place lit by any chance?

I will do everything humanly possible to get there Thursday....just pick the time and send the address. I will have to do some schedule adjusting...but it just might be possible.

And Jim said he can come...yeah!!
slalom is good

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Call dereks cell for directions

Post by John Gilmour » Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:50 am

I'll meet Derek at 5:30 pm in front of Falkner hospital- we'll go from there-

Karl, Weasel, Derek, and hopefully you two will be there.

If you are late- call Dereks cell for directions
-

the spot is across teh street from teh entrance to Peters hill- go through the gate across teh street- follow road to your right- at fork go left- and uphill- follow the Flat black asphalt road. You're not in Kansas anymore.

1st session will be short and sweet not to draw attention to the area- stealth markings etc.

We can also go hit the original Buyssey hill at the Arnold Arboretum afterwards-

I think everyone's skill level is good for that now as well.

Sunset seems to be at 7:30

temps should be perfect.

To be ultra stealth bring a walkie talkie if you have them.
john gilmour

Jim Siener
B.A.S.S.
B.A.S.S.

Post by Jim Siener » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:00 am

John, you are talking about the Arboretum (I think). I was there last weekend doing a family walk with the dog and Mollygirl and noticed the new fresh asphalt and thinking the same thing. Its not as steep as Buyessy Hill but baby smooth surface and long. Its basically on the backside of the hill. I'll bring a broom. See you there.

Matthew Wilson

Be there at a little after 6pm

Post by Matthew Wilson » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:02 pm

Hey guys. It looks like Jim and I will be there a little after 6.

I am going to do my best to get out of work by 5-5:15 the latest. I will take the T to Forest Hills and Jim will pick me up from there and then we'll head to the skate site.

Sorry, no walkie-talkies.
slalom is good

Derek Smith

Post by Derek Smith » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:34 pm

guys, I have walkie talkies and will meet you at the Falkner John. I won't be at a computer after noon, call my phone if any problems 978 479 3353

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:44 pm

I will not be there. I hate driving in to Boston. It has to be a sure thing. Please let me know if its and better across the board than Magnolia.