Jani Pistol set-up

MANX Skateboard Wheels

Moderator: Barret Deck

Etienne de Bary
Etienne
Etienne

Jani Pistol set-up

Post by Etienne de Bary » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:33 pm

An interesting possibility of the Manx is to create a very narrow set-up with "normal" good trucks, here normal Airflow OS and RtX (101/109 would do too), much more narrow than what symmetrical Abec 11 wheels would give. The (usually inner, now) outer lip is extremely acute, i think the Manx behave actually better in this position.
i imagine this is the ideal setup for an ultra narrow tight on british tarmac (i only tested it in Paris though)

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:14 pm

Do the wheels behave predictably when you mount them like that? I have never tried it with Manx (don't own any), but I tried it with Cambrias a couple of years ago and it felt very weird--very unstable with no grip. I know that Maurus Strobel and some other Swiss skaters were riding a similar setup at Morro Bay this year, so maybe it just takes some time to get used to the different feel.

Etienne, have you compared the reversed Manx setup with, say, reversed Avalons? If so, is there a noticeable difference? Do you like the Manx better?

Etienne de Bary
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne de Bary » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:15 pm

What is remarquable is that the Manx has identically straight lips on both sides (the edge is even more acute on the normally inside when new). The 3dm wheels have very agressive lips on the outside but it is 45° rounded in the inside, so if you put it inside out you get a very progressive behaviour with a snowboard-like feeling, not very suitable for slalom, (but it may be fine on the rear for carving big slopes in non competitive context.)
Of course it gives you a very narrow base, what you gain in agility you loose in stability. You could use this set up for a very tight TS, and the same day go on a giant with the same trucks and same wheels, turned the other way (but not necessarly the same deck)

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:09 pm

You have soooo many possibilities to set up a slalomskateboard with wheels.
Every setup is just slightly different to another one but it is actually just a matter of your habit.

q.e.d.

rmn
Feel the flow – Airflow Skateboards

Real skateboard wheels come in green – ABEC11

Enjoy the ride – GOG Slalom & DH Trucks

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:43 am

words from a pro...

dig it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!