What COLOR should slalom racing wheels be?

Slalom skateboard wheels

Moderator: Marion Karr

Glenn S

What COLOR should slalom racing wheels be?

Post by Glenn S » Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:04 pm

Should slalom skateboard racing wheels of different duros be various colors? Or should the particular maker make all duros in one color for the model of wheel?

What I am getting at here is; would you feel that you have an edge on your opponent without them being able to tell which duro your using by the color?

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:16 pm

It doesnt matter. What the other guy is riding is irrelevent. That has been proven many times over. Wheel duro is reletive to riders style, riders skill, and riders weight.

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:00 pm

It's too bad that wheels can't have molded duro number on the face. I understand the way the mold and pour works, it's cost prohibitive.

3DM and their color scheme is good.

TK said it best.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:00 pm

One color = One cost for production = More wheels fitting into the skater’s budget.

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:36 am

WesE wrote:One color = One cost for production = More wheels fitting into the skater’s budget.
Holy crap! I can just see you rummaging through your giant bag of wheels if they were all one color!

I'd think you of all people would have nightmares about that! ;)

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:12 am

Slappy Maxwell wrote:
WesE wrote:One color = One cost for production = More wheels fitting into the skater’s budget.
Holy crap! I can just see you rummaging through your giant bag of wheels if they were all one color!
I'd think you of all people would have nightmares about that! ;)
That is not an issue for me. Many of my wheels now are all the same color (green). I color the sidewalls according to duro with permanent markers and it's all good.

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:31 am

Wes, what brand marker are you using to mark the wheels? Do you write the duro # or use different color markers? It would be cheaper to use one color marker and just write the duros out . You could do it in code so no one knows but you. Thats how I did it but I forgot the code and had to throw all the wheels out.

Brady Mitchell

Post by Brady Mitchell » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:42 am

I also mark my wheels like Wes does. It started with ABEC Stingers and even do it on the 3dm wheels. I know, I know, the 3dm`s are color coded, but I haven`t memorized them yet. A Sharpie in black on the inside wall of the wheel is sufficiant.

Actually, non-coloired wheels would probably be best, though I can see the marketing advantages of ABEC 11 with all his wheels being green.

Ever see a nascar race? Now could you imagine all differant coloured wheels? Nah, me neither. And I think they mark the sidewalls with white grease pen??

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:37 pm

All wheels should be green.

Jack Smith
Morro Bay Skate legend
Morro Bay Skate legend

Post by Jack Smith » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:41 pm

Is it April 1st?

You guys are kidding, right?

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:49 pm

Bored is more like it Jack, I've been snowed in for two days. Today however I got out and surfed overhead point waves with a few friends. Life is good. As far as wheels go. Do what kenny does, ride white avalons in every race and win everything.TK

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

3dm Wheel Selection

Post by Michael Stride » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:57 pm

We've put all the colours and variations of 3dm wheels up at:
http://www.octanesport.com/Octaneshop/shopwheels.htm

I think HG's pitched it right. its only when I finished the wheel page did it really hit home how far we've come in a year or so. Its great when we can discuss colour options when not long ago we were talking about getting new wheels of ANY desciption.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Re: 3dm Wheel Selection

Post by Wes Eastridge » Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:48 am

Michael Stride wrote:We've put all the colours and variations of 3dm wheels up at:
http://www.octanesport.com/Octaneshop/shopwheels.htm

I think HG's pitched it right. its only when I finished the wheel page did it really hit home how far we've come in a year or so. Its great when we can discuss colour options when not long ago we were talking about getting new wheels of ANY desciption.
That’s funny, because I could be a potential wheel customer and I don’t see a need for color-coded wheels. I would rather see more options in wheel shape/size/orientation being offered.

BTW, Michael, it appears that you are already getting confused...You have “Dark Grey Avalons, 90a 68mm” listed for what I would guess are the Dark Grey Cambria, 90a 62mm wheels. See what this color-coding does? If the wheels were catagorized by type/size and duro, you wouldn’t make such mistakes!

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:41 am

Guess again Wes East. If you put down the skate key and spray paint you would know that dark grey AVALONS in 90a are available AND they flat out rip. Time to Join Parsons, Ohm and Noah and travel to some big events. Breck next year would be a good place to start. Start Saving now. TK

Troy Smart

Blurple

Post by Troy Smart » Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:03 am

My son (William, he's 4) asked me what I was reading on the computer.
I told him I was reading this umm......interesting(?) thread on what color wheels should be.
After a short exchange he came up with the idea that all skateboard wheels should be colored "Blurple" (a mix of blue and purple), because it's his new favorite color.
He also wants me to tell you that he had fun sledding on Sunday and that when he went over the big jump he got so much snow on his face that he looked like a snowman. Except for the carrot nose.

I think you should all quit fondleing your skateboard gear and get out there and BREED.

Kids rule.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:18 am

Terence Kirby wrote:Guess again Wes East. If you put down the skate key and spray paint you would know that dark grey AVALONS in 90a are available AND they flat out rip. Time to Join Parsons, Ohm and Noah and travel to some big events. Breck next year would be a good place to start. Start Saving now. TK
Awe mann, Terence. Dogging my name AND my equipment AS WELL AS several other unrelated things. Let’s put those on the backburner for a moment and witness the turmoil going on in e-commerce (all due to color-coding), shall we?

Notice the misrepresentation of the 90a Cambria wheel because of the way the wheels are organized by color, rather than their proper distinction? If they were all the same color, a seperate picture for each one would not be needed - a pictorial representation of the wheels and a list of duros would cover everying. Nobody would order the 90a Avalons and receive then 90a Cambrias instead.

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:03 am

Thanks Wes, its been corrected. The add to cart button did list the intended item as Cambrias. All purchasors of those Cambrias and Avalons have been contacted just in case.

All wheels should be one shape. colour and duro. 3dm 80a White Avalons then?

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:03 am

Thanks Wes, its been corrected. The add to cart button did list the intended item as Cambrias. All purchasors of those Cambrias and Avalons have been contacted just in case.

All wheels should be one shape. colour and duro. 3dm 80a White Avalons then?

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:10 am

Soory for the double post/ Its just that when I post the boxes come up in Russian. I have e-mailed Adam about this but never got a response. It make it REALLY difficult to post things. But my Russians coming along fine. Upozornit tomto. Whatever that means...

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:03 am

Brady Mitchell wrote:I also mark my wheels like Wes does.
Why does this not surprise me?

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:23 am

Hmmm, stunning likeness. Both WESS and Scabs look very..shall we say..Arian??? Both are asking that every wheel be the same color and that wheels of other colors be eliminated. Sound familiar? These are scary times slalom friends ,scary times.

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:39 am

What is also interesting about the photo is Bradyscabs figuring out Wes not only uses a Sharpie to label his wheels.

He also writes the day he changes underwear on his left ear.

RL

Orange

Post by RL » Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:30 am

Ive always been into OJ's and orange. If only.....

Now as to that photo of Wes and Scabs......ummm, there seems to be something a little, ummm...
Oh forget it...

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Re: Orange

Post by Wes Eastridge » Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:18 am

Ric Liskowitz wrote:Now as to that photo of Wes and Scabs......ummm, there seems to be something a little, ummm...
Oh forget it...
Yes, I know.
Here is a photo of Brady that was taken immediately after the above photo.
<font size="1">Photo curtesy of Pat Chewning</font>

Solomon Kohn

dang

Post by Solomon Kohn » Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:53 pm

Good punch dude!