Brands Hatch 15/06/03 - Results

Slalom Skateboarding in the UK.

Moderator: Rob Ashby

Simon Levene
Smokestack

Post by Simon Levene » Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:46 pm

Great racing at Brands Hatch on Sunday 15/06. Clear blue skies with temperatures into the low 80's.

75 cone hybrid head-to-head 5' - 12' all variations stingers/straights/s-curves, etc. 25+ seconds of great slalom. Big up Britsh Racing! Fast and furious!

The day couldn't have got off to a worst start. The race day organiser and UKSSA baron, Chis Linford (aka Clingfilm) kissed the tarmac god and broke his wrist early on before racing started. He's in surgery tonight as we've heard he's got a wrist and an lower arm break. Good vibes and wishes go out to him.

Naturally this delayed the race start. We ran only one division, no open or pro. A lot of people had trouble with the course, but in the end all made it through and got times. Great racing from all comers. No GS I'm afraid as we ran out of time. Sorry to those who came for the Giant.

Qualification Order (2 runs - fastest single time):

1. Michael Dong
2. Paul Price
3. Richy Carrasco
4. Chris Charalambous
5. Michael Stride
6. Jim Parry-Jones
7. Justin Ashby
8. Leon Clark
9. Ed Brockman
10. Darren Rathbone
11. Jonny X
12. David O'Connor
13. Trawler
14. Jim Harmon
15. Mogg
16. Andy Binns
17. Kev Brennen
18. Tom Frost

Dong, Price and Bomber all looking good in the 25's, with Charalambous and Stride in the 27's. Spread then from 28's to 40 seconds for Tom Frost, a local Brighton surfer, who was not only slaloming on a hill for the first time, but also in his first comp. Great stuff Tom!

All qualifiers raced H2H in the finals.

Quarter-finals:

Dong/Brockman - Dong advances
Charalambous/Stride - Stride advances
Carrasco/Parry-Jones - Carrasco advances
Ashby/Price - Price advances

Now the racing was getting tight. Paul Price could have taken Richy out but spewed cones while the Brown Bomber kept his cool. Michael Dong advanced racing against last year's most improved slalomer, Michael Stride, who performed well all day.

Semi-finals:

Dong/Stride - Dong advances
Carrasco/Price - Carrasco advances

Price then raced Stride for 3rd place and won through.

Fantastic close racing for the final with Dong and Carrasco going at it like men possesed. Neck and neck stuff. Raw times were extremely close but cones hit finally killed it for Richy. Well done Michael Dong.

Final Standings:

1. Dong
2. Carrasco
3. Price
4. Stride

I would have loved to have raced, but my ribs still aren't healed from Paris. It was killing me to just sit there and record times on my favourite hill. More power to anyone who organises races. I'm knackered.

Chris Linford was sorely missed as I'm sure he would have made the finals.

Special thanks to Terry Smith for running the starts. Thanks to Maria C for the batteries (can't wait to see some vid, Maria). And, thanks to all those kids and adults who helped with the cone marshalling.

To all those who didn't race and donated to the UKSSA, much appreciated.

Mike Johnson

Post by Mike Johnson » Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:38 am

I couldnt get there this year and bad about Clingys wrist...funny that, i broke my elbow there last year...its one gnarly fast hill.

Richy Carrasco
AXE Army
AXE Army

Post by Richy Carrasco » Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:23 am

Brands was great! I hope we can make it again next year! You guys should get together with all the organizers from the Europe racing scene and bunch up maybe 3 races, Brands, Traca ,Grun for Idea. It would make it more attractive for more racers to come out from the states. Smokestack Rules!

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Post by Hans Koraeus » Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:10 pm

Special slalom final Standings: (Just to be more clear for the contest result table)
1. Michael Dong
2. Richy Carrasco
3. Paul Price

4. Michael Stride
5. Chris Charalambous
6. Jim Parry-Jones
7. Justin Ashby
8. Leon Clark
9. Ed Brockman
10. Darren Rathbone
11. Jonny X
12. David O'Connor