World Champs in the UK 2009?

Slalom Skateboarding in the UK.

Moderator: Rob Ashby

Spike Taylor

World Champs in the UK 2009?

Post by Spike Taylor » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:32 am

From what i hear we now have some kick-ass tracks Down South, has anyone thought of holding the Worlds in Blighty?

Spike.
FUN-is the bottom line!

Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon

UK Worlds

Post by Sam Gordon » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:58 pm

It's a good question Spike.

There are three key factors that you need to have in place in order to consider hosting the Worlds: location, funding and organisation.

Hog Hill (Redbridge Cycle Centre) is a great place for dual slalom. Where we have hired on the shorter circuit would be perfect for a world class tight slalom race, if a little short for a hybrid. The latter could be run on the should of the back hill, as could a giant slalom. But again the hill might be a little tame for GS given that many skaters now like to have a slope that tests their brio and pushes the fear barrier. With start ramps on the main hill we might have something comparable to the GS in Gothenburg.

What the track is misssing is a town centre location. A World Championships should have a large supportive crowd to add the WOW factor. Hog Hill is a little remote and does not typically pick up a passing audience, and so a large marketing strategy (whether to the general, skating, public or through schools/ organisations) would be the only option in order to generated a good, populated atmosphere.

The Centre looks on us favorably for time slots, however Saturday mornings are always pre-booked with cycling. In addition, all centres become booked up many months in advance, so if we were to plan a Championships, it would have to be with good notice and command a three day period that would cover a weekend.

We would also need an organising committee. It would have to consist of race organiser who would set the format for each day, tech guy to do timing and spreadsheet work, head honcho to call the shots over disputes, weather etc and many others to assist in ramp movement, marshalling and so on. On top of this there needs to be detailed instruction as regards travel, pickupsa for overseas travellers, discounted accommodation and someone seconded to carry out extensive marketing in order to get both sponsorship and crowds to the centre. We would also require a second, wet weather indoor site, so that those who have paid good money on travel can go away with some sort of result. The weather issue is what gives locations such as California and Australia the edge over European locations.

One of the simplest ways to go through all of the above is to run dress-rehearsals, in other words to put on basic status races and to make them as good as they can be. The next stage would be to hold a World Cup race and garner opinion as to the site's suitability, and then to consider taking it to the next stage.

With the Gravesend multisport site in planning and discussion, the options are further opened up; perhaps a dual location Worlds? It takes time, commitment and combined will to bring an event such as the World Championships together.

We'll get there!

Sam

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:28 pm

This year the Worlds will be in North America. Next year it's back to Europe.

/Jani

Rob Ashby

Post by Rob Ashby » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:16 pm

I agree with Sam whilst Hog Hill is an excellent venue, its remote location brings with it a host of logistical problems. Finding a suitable alternative dry venue - a key consideration for hosting such an event in the UK - would also be a difficult task.

I can think of nothing better than the Worlds being held in the UK - lets see what happens with Gravesend.

Jani, enjoy your break from organising races - you have more than earnt it!

HUYNH BACH SAC Frédéric
Fred
Fred

Post by HUYNH BACH SAC Frédéric » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:07 am

Jani Soderhall wrote:This year the Worlds will be in North America. Next year it's back to Europe.

/Jani
What about Australia or south america ?
Podium or pavement... but PAVEL !

www.coneracing.com

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:58 pm

Jani Soderhall wrote:This year the Worlds will be in North America. Next year it's back to Europe.

/Jani
Jani, I must have missed this somehow. (It has been a few days since I logged in here.) Was there an official announcement?

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:57 am

Jonathan Harms wrote:Jani, I must have missed this somehow. (It has been a few days since I logged in here.) Was there an official announcement?
No, but I think it's kind of a rule that it rotates like that. Of course, this is omitting Australia and South America. If there's a good candidature from there, they're in the loop as well.

/Jani

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:01 am

Jonathan Harms wrote:Jani, I must have missed this somehow. (It has been a few days since I logged in here.) Was there an official announcement?
No, but I think it's kind of a rule that it rotates like that. Of course, this is omitting Australia and South America. If there's a good candidature from there, they're in the loop as well.

/Jani

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:22 pm

Thanks, Jani. I know the Gorge Games had applied, but Marcus Rietema has voiced strong support for Australia getting the Worlds this year, and I was afraid I'd missed some important news. Thanks for the clarification.

Paul Price
Pavel Racing Team
Pavel Racing Team

Post by Paul Price » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:58 am

The World Championships were in Hood River, Oregon in 2009,

Well done to all the Brits who made it to the Slalom World Championships, hope we can get a bigger team going next year, and some juniors! And there was not a drop of rain - temps up to 104 degrees instead.
Here are some of the best results from the weekends racing:

Ella Roggero 2nd - Womans
Martin Drayton 3rd - Masters
Paul Price 5th - Pro
Mick Reiss 9th - Amateur