Skateboarding in the 2012 Olympics

Slalom Skateboarding in the UK.

Moderator: Rob Ashby

Paul Price
Pavel Racing Team
Pavel Racing Team

Skateboarding in the 2012 Olympics

Post by Paul Price » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:37 pm

I was awoken on Saturday with a request to do a live interview with Peter Sissons BBC News 24. There have been front page articles on Skateboarding in the 2012 Olympics in all the papers since the story broke on Friday.

The researcher found our site: http://www.ukslalomskateboarding.com

The interview went to air at 2pm Saturday and was repeated on the hour. After my make-up session we were on air live!

I had my Pavel Roadster and my flyaway helmet and a Pavel stickered cone on the table in front of me, as well as my Pavel teamrider shirt.

The interview had some vox pox of kids at south bank saying the Olympics would be good. Then I was pointed out that I am not a typical skateboarder. I replied all ages can skate. I explained a little about slalom racing while they played some video of Ella slaloming in Hyde park. I was asked if skateboarding would fit into the olympic ethos and I made some points about racing being a great event. I then made the point that with some funding and facilities the UK could get Gold in 2012!

The interview went well and the crew commented that I was a natural on TV and they would keep me on file for the big debate with Paxman on Newsnight. ;-)

Seriously though, what a difference this could make to our sport, the options are fantastic! After the 2002 Open World Champs in Morro Bay California I was told by the Sports Council they could not provide skaters funding as it was not an Olympic sport.

Well that may change!

Joachim Leonhardt
LeonhardtART
LeonhardtART

Post by Joachim Leonhardt » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:01 pm

Super News !!

Chris Eggers
Germany
Germany

Post by Chris Eggers » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:24 am

What did Tony Hawk say?

"Skateboarding does not need the Olympics but the Olympics need Skateboarding"

I don´t know if its a good idea

I want to have Duane Peters as our speaker in front of the Olympic Commetee, please. After all he is one of the best skateboarders, ever...............