continuous axle on precision hangar

Slalom Skateboard Truck Machine Shop

Moderator: Eric Wallgren

James Peters

continuous axle on precision hangar

Post by James Peters » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:24 pm

Thought I'd toss this in here to see if any ideas on validity of design and difficulty of execution.

I've wondered a long time whether it would be worth the effort to pre-bend a single, continuous axle, instead of having two separate split axle parts threaded into the hangar. Something like this:

The original shot was from herbn's "double-pivot pin" truck idea. I'm just trying to think of something that avoids sudden breaks in the axles, which has been an occasional mishap with the screw-in variety of precisions.

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Post by Pat Chewning » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:23 pm

Very difficult to execute.

Bent axle would have to be precsion-formed with ends co-axial after going thru 4 bends -- good luck.

Bent axle would have to be embedded into the die-casting or metal-injection mold for the hanger -- again the lack of precision in bending would make it more difficult to locate the axle within the casting and to seal off where the axle exits the casting.

Bent embedded axle would not be replaceable.

A manufacturing engineer would tell you to go back to the drawing board.

James Peters

Post by James Peters » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:24 pm

Thanks for the sanity check Pat. Even if I could somehow bend the axles smoothly, not those exact sharp angles as depicted by the yellow line, it was that embedding / die-casting process you mention that concerned me the most. I was thinking that replacement would basically mean replacing the entire hangar -- but the gamble being that this wouldn't be as necessary or as often as replacing broken axles of the split-design.

Here's the other idea, also crafted in the engineer's standby MsPaintCAD Pro - which assumes that we're back to the split-axle design:

Have been curious how effective increasing the length of smooth axle shank hidden inside the hangar would be in preventing axle snaps -- and making the screw-in axle a one-time, permanent mfg process, instead of offering the rider swappable axles of different lengths. I don't know how often people really change their axles or how valuable that feature is perceived to be, but using longer axles and adding spacers outside the hangar does increase the chance for metal fatigue.

Robert Dukes

multiple bent axles

Post by Robert Dukes » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:46 am

solution: purchase some GOGs