Brakes??

Slalom Skateboard Truck Machine Shop

Moderator: Eric Wallgren

Greg Olsen

Brakes??

Post by Greg Olsen » Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:45 am

I have made a homemade scrub brake which bolts between the truck and the riser and extends back behind the end of my slalom board. It uses a piece of sheet metal to which an old wheel is attached tio the bottom of the sheet metal and right now a piece of Nylon about 1.5" DIA x 1.25" high above the sheet metal to act as a foot pedal. The nylon and old wheel are bolted together through a hole in the sheet metal. The sheet metal bends down about 1/2" when I push on the Nylon 'pedal'and the wheel scrubs the ground slowing me down effectively. It is light and small and I don't know why such a thing hasn't been done before. I guess it adds a bit of weight at the back end but it could be improved alot. Skateboarding is kinda crazy doncha think? I am 46 and cannot afford some of the run ins with cars and pavement I had as a younger guy.
Greg Olsen

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:23 am

Sounds interesting. Do you have a photo?
Q

Greg Olsen

Post by Greg Olsen » Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:04 am

No photo yet but I will get one.
I tried another unsuccessful brake idea today. I used a furniture caster screwed to the underside of the kicktail on a long board. The caster had a brake and a roller blade style wheel. I set the brake on anf figured if I did a wheelie onto this braked caster I would slow down. But my board shape combined with riding on the tripod of the caster and the back two wheels was not something I could keep stable. I could not remain level. Perhaps if the back trucks were really tight or the scrub block i was wheelieing onto was wider it would be okay. I did not have to wheelie very high to get the castor to touch down as it was only an inch off the ground or so. I did slow down but banked off to one side sharply out of control. Back to the drawing board.
Greg Olsen

Rich Stephens

Post by Rich Stephens » Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:46 am

My low-tech brake.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:19 pm

Rich Stephens wrote:My low-tech brake.
You're Goofy ;)

Q