Deck types

A Forum For New Racers.

Moderator: Karl Floitgraf

Shane McFarland

Post by Shane McFarland » Sun Jun 15, 2003 5:50 am

well i guess ill ask about deck types this time.
so what makes a deck a tight or GS slalom board?
and i see some decks have got 2 drillings in the back for wheel base,some single cut,some full bodied and a few double cut designs.
so what should i look for in a deck?
so far i like the Blackhill,the yellow looks good i guess.the price is very good.
ive rode a Comet gs.i like it,the price is ok.
so how should i make up my mind on a deck.
i live about 5 hours from the closet race,so riding differnt brands is hard.i only know of 1 guy in my area that rides slalom.
so i can use some help.
im a little over 200lbs,got size 11 feet.
and new to the cones,i ride longboards.39 and 46 inches long.i like the way my Randell r2 180s turn.
i dont know what else to add.
Thanks.
Shane.

Brian Morris

Post by Brian Morris » Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:50 am

I find having big feet to be a disadvantage in slalom. Try to find a board that you can fit your feet on, yet be able to push through cones. I found I had to majorly alter my regular stance to work for slalom, I have size 12-13 feet, and sometimes I find i have to ride on my toes with both of my heels up to get through tight courses, sometimes I even do the Wes dance and ride parallel. Try every riding you can find, and try as many different boards as you can get a hold of. I personally love my modified Black Hills, the shape is how i like it, and Ive changed my stance so my giant feet fit perfectly.

Brian

Eddie dela Cruz

Post by Eddie dela Cruz » Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:34 am

I knew my size 6 feet would be an advantage some day:)

Shane McFarland

Post by Shane McFarland » Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:25 am

so was your Black hills board a 7 ply before modifacation?
i see they have 6 and 7 ply now.
and do you think it would be a good board to learn on and advance on?
thanks.
Shane.

Tom Blankley
Phoenix G.R.S. Tom
Phoenix G.R.S. Tom

Post by Tom Blankley » Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:00 am

Shane, where do you live? There might more slalom skaters in your area than you think.
I find people wanting to "run cones" all over the place.
Tom

Shane McFarland

Post by Shane McFarland » Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:43 am

i live in Southwestern Oregon,not Ashland either.its a small town of Coquille we have 4275 residents.i know there has to be more than 2 of us who like to run cones,but so far we havent found them.but i keep looking.
most of the local skaters are young and all the want to do is street style skateing.the local skate park has a nice bowl that hardly gets any use.but all the other park does.some dont even know what slalom is.they just want ollie.
Shane.

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Sun Aug 10, 2003 6:04 am

Shane I also live in an area where there are alot of kickflippers and surfers. I pretty much slalom alone down on a bike trail and some downhill farmroads. I own a Turner GS Hybrid,Turner Fullnose,Pocket Pistol 32 inch deck,Pocket Pistol Brown Bomber and a Ick Stick GS Carrera. Each board has its own characteristics. The boards with shorter wheelbases are used mainly for tight slalom. I have been very fortunate to meet some top slalom skaters this year who are allways willing to give some good slalom advice. If you are ever at a contest ask one of the riders if you can check out their boards. Slalom skaters are very cool people. Eddy Texas Outlaw.