Wedged truck adjustment ?

A Forum For New Racers.

Moderator: Karl Floitgraf

Shane McFarland

Post by Shane McFarland » Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:28 am

I went and put new bushings for my trucks and i adjusted them to where they felt good by standing on them.the first time i rode it the back truck felt like it was still turning right when i was going left.or the other way,it was like a slide.
so i adjusted it a turn tighter.it stopped the sliding feeling.but is a wedged board supose to feel like its sliding?
the wedges are fat side towards the back.
so can some one tell me the proper way to adjust my trucks.
thanks.
Shane.

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:34 pm

Shane, one of your trucks is on backwards. TK

Shane McFarland

Post by Shane McFarland » Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:17 am

well,no one of my trucks is not on back wards.it is kind of hard to xplain.it happens at the end of the turn from one cone to the next.just when your setting up for the next cone.and when im turning hard.
it just feels like the back truck is still turning while the front is just got straight.
its like a slide,or better yet a twhitch.
but any way,do you run the back truck tighter when there wedged?
thanks.
Shane.

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:08 am

Usually you run your truck alot tighter in the rear. Not only that you usually run deader bushings in the rear too. Even when it is wedged.

Example. If I was running bones blues (soft) in front I would most likely be running Bones yellows (medium) or even whites (hard) in the rear, or a mix of them all (yellow top, blue bottom....)

What trucks are you using BTW?

Shane McFarland

Post by Shane McFarland » Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:47 am

the trucks im using are some old ACS 651.
for that matter,the board im using is old.
its a FiberFlex by Gordon&Smith.i believ its called a double cut(slalom board)its red.
i got Hester wheels too.i bought it in 1977.i was the only kid in town to have a slalom board.
i figured i would play on it till i figure out what i want in a new board.
i put soft bushing on the trucks,front and rear.the problem stop when i tightend the rear truck up,so i guess i went the right way.
so i guess ill get some medium bushings and put them on the back.
thanks for the info on the bushing set up.
Shane.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:09 am

You might try some of the newer wheels. The newer urethanes have a lot more roll to them. I would suggest getting a set of Cambias to start.

Glad to see you are back on track. BTW those 651's would be the next thing to swap out. Get some Tracker RTx's and a rts rear.

Also how heavy are you for your deck?

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:53 am

that setup explains alot. The trucks are VERY turny trucks, the wheels aren't that grippy and the deck, even if you aren't to heavy for it (which unless you are under 140 pounds means you probably are) is WAY twisty...meaning the tail of the deck is most likely twisting as you exit turns thus giving you that slide feeling.

John is right....new wheels, 3dm cambrias are very good (82a)...then trucks (Tracker RT-X/S combo or Indy 101s) and them a new deck.....

you'll get it...

Shane McFarland

Post by Shane McFarland » Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:05 am

i am trying a freinds set of Abec Stingers right now.92 and 88.they are a lot faster than the Hester wheels.
ive been looking at boards,so far i like the black hill.and the tracker are what ill get for sure.as for wheels i havent a idea.
ive rode a Comet GS board,i forget which one.
it had the Trackers and Abec Stingers.i fell in love with it,it rides nice.then i rode a Ick stick,to much board for me.it was way faster than me,but fun.
the board i ride seems ok for flex,no bounce or not to stiff.but i know its dated but it lets me ride with out thinging i am being held back,well for now any way.
i will be asking alot more about board set up later.
thanks.
Shane.

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:45 am

Shane...ask away about decks....

Eddie dela Cruz

Post by Eddie dela Cruz » Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:30 am

I've still got my old board and I still love riding it. What you got sounds like an old G&S Cutaway. Mine is setup just like yours but the deck is a Santa Cruz John Hutson with wedged ACS 651's and Hester's. I know our boards are outdated but they're still a blast to ride. I'm just getting back into it too so I know what you're going through. The technology is so advanced now. I'm putting together a couple of decks rigt now. Keeping cost in mind I'm looking at the Comet Gary Cross with a Seismic up front and an offset 88 Tracker RTS in the rear with Stingers around for TS. For GS I'm looking at a 33" Comet with a RTX front and offset 106 RTS in the rear with Stingers. Maybe Santa will bring me an Ick or Roe:)

Shane McFarland

Post by Shane McFarland » Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:17 am

so i went and put some medium bushings on the back trucks,tightend them up.and i feel like im faster.plus it does handle better.
i didnt knock over alot of cones.so i thank you for the info on bushings.it has help me save alot of time and heart beats.
as for flexing,it is more than likly the problem.i ride bicycles a lot.both road and mtn bike,plus i unicycle.so i am probly flexing the back end.plus i dont realy now how to slalom,so my style is probly like a squid.but i have fun.
thanks again.
Shane.

Nathalie Lauterbach

Post by Nathalie Lauterbach » Sat Aug 23, 2003 8:01 pm

So I just came home from riding a self set up course and I have done not too badly but I need more speed. I am pumping quite hard but it isn't fast enough.
Now I have got soft brushings at the front and at the back. Does anybody experienced think that it would help to gain speed if I would put a medium bruhing at the rear?

Thank you! Nathalie

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sat Aug 23, 2003 8:25 pm

I used to believe that the harder the (rear) bushing the better the pump. It has an advantage of making you push the board really hard to even manage the turn, but I guess it doesn't really help those who try to learn turning and pumping. But as a training exercise it is probably not bad.

I think this led to the style I eventually developed and it is why I love the S-Camber shape so much. The front foot kind of steers the board, while the rear foot works as the engine. In reality though, it all happens too fast and there might not be such a separation.

Nowadays (being older and not in such a good shape) I prefer softer rear truck bushings. I'm more anxious to get through the course appropriately and not hitting cones, so I have loosened up a lot.

Medium to me though seems fine. I think you should try it. I would not recommend rock-hard like I used to ride them. I'd leave the soft in the front and use medium in the back.

Another way to obtain more speed is to get a timing equipment and skate with skaters who are faster than yourself. Then you just have to push yourself to go even faster!

Nathalie Lauterbach

Post by Nathalie Lauterbach » Sun Aug 24, 2003 6:10 pm

Yes thank you. I will try it!
Now, the cones are quite close, about 1.60m apart and I haven't hit any and my course is on a slope... By the way, there are different styles of riding slalom courses and now, I am doing it for two years and I am still not quite sure about the fact if moving the arms to help to get more turn is a good or a bad thing. You aren't really pushing harder and I am not sure if it is effective at all... what do you think?
Do you use your arms? Or is it better to use just the hip?
Thank you. Nathalie

Ivan Young

Post by Ivan Young » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:02 am

Is it ok to run your back truck wedged to add steering?

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:06 am

It’s rather childish. A general principle is to get as little steering as possible in the back…just to make it through the course…………………………

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:06 am

Ivan Young wrote:Is it ok to run your back truck wedged to add steering?
It could make sense to add steering on the rear truck when you're not going to fast. Then adding steering will help you get through the course. Once you get the speed up the board will turn too much with that "initial" configuration and you will need to "remove" steering.

Virtually all slalomers wedge the rear truck to reduce the steering on the rear truck. It's done by putting a wedged riser pad with the thicker part in the back. There are also specific trucks which will help you achieve the same thing. The 30 degree Seismic truck, the Tracker RTS or the 3dm 3TC all target the same idea.

While re-reading this thread I also noticed this question which seems to have gone unnoticed. Apologies...
Natalie Lauterbach wrote:I am still not quite sure about the fact if moving the arms to help to get more turn is a good or a bad thing. You aren't really pushing harder and I am not sure if it is effective at all... what do you think?
Nathalie,

I'm absolutely convinced that moving your arms the right way will help you add speed. It is the arms that initiate all movements and they also help you keep your rhythm. As they move back from an extended position energy is generated and correctly used it should help your pump.

The arms also adds control. They are used to weigh and un-weigh as you go through the course.

It seems as if the arm movement is initially slightly against you, but you should be beyond that stage now.

/Jani