Practice course

A Forum For New Racers.

Moderator: Karl Floitgraf

Shane McFarland

Post by Shane McFarland » Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:18 pm

what is a good cone spacing for practice.
im new to Slalom,well i took a long time off from it.
so any info on course lay out would be helpful too.
thanks.

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Post by Hans Koraeus » Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:03 pm

Welcome back Shane!

The answer to your question can be very complicated or very easy. I'll explain the easy way.

Set up your cones in a straight line. Start with measuring up 7 of your own feet between the cones. Have a go. If it seems long between the cones put them tighter. If it seems tight try again. You will soon find the distance that goes with your board.

With practice you will soon find that you can go tighter and tighter with your board.

You will also understand that there is no specific good cone spacing to practice. Instead practice lot's of different cone distances. Tight cones and long cones.

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:59 pm

I agree with Hans...7-8' (on center) seems a good starting point for beginners. Once you get a feel for say 25 cones spaced 8' on center, go down to 7'...then 6'.....once something seems easy take some space out.

Another thing that will help you alot to get your pump down is to run these cones on a dead flat surface. This means all your speed will come from your pump and you will HAVE to learn to pump to get past the 8th cone. Once you feel confident with pumping through the 7' or 8' on flat try moving them to a slight hill. That will change it around alot. To really see how good your pump is try running the cones UPHILL.

Once you are confident with the stright cones on a moderate hill start adding some offset in a few cones, no more than 6" at first. Once you get that start adding a little more offset and so on.

That should get you going with some good basic slalom skills. The main thing you need to work on is your pump. Precision in not hitting cones will come but the important thing is to dial in your pump.

Another good practice skill is to go out one night a week and just pump your board....on flats, uphills, downhills.....just pump...pump...pump...

Shane McFarland

Post by Shane McFarland » Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:46 am

well i guess ive been practicing the right way,but the cones are a bit tighter.
iv been doing 6 and tighter,but i think ill go to 7 footers and work on pumping.i cant seem to pick up speed but i maintain it ok.
but iv only got about 4 hours of running cones,and 1 hour of that was on smooth concret at the local skate park.
so thanks for the info.
so ill ask about board choice later.
thanks.
Shane.

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:10 pm

spread the cones out to a full 8' on center. This will allow you to focus on your pump more than worrying about making the cones. Once you feel confident in your pump and it becomes second nature, bring the cones down to 7' then 6'. The most important thing right now is to get comfortable pumping your board. Without a strong pump you got nothing in slalom...once you got the pump then you can work on precision.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chris stepanek on 2003-06-08 23:18 ]</font>

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:39 am

Also check out these threads in the "Gates" fourm for course ideas:

viewtopic.php?topic=456&forum=59&7
and
viewtopic.php?topic=545&forum=59&0

If you don't have cones, you can for a cheap alternative get some "Solo" brand plastic party cups (click here) because they are easy to travel with. Double up on them if you need too make them heavier so they don't blow away, or crush when hit. Put a hole in the top so the wind does not get under them if you have to.

I only suggest the Solo cups if you are strapped for cash and just want to give slalom skateboarding a try. Get some real cones as soon as you can afford them .

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:38 am

Lately some younger riders and some vert riders locally have started to show interest in slalom. Some have decided to come out and ride with me. What type of course do you guys recommend that I set that won't be intimidating to new riders. I am planning an Outlaw race for the locals in July my good friend Marcos Soulsby Monroy has volunteered to help me with the event. I am slowly amassing some prizes for the Outlaw event that some of the slalom skateboard companies have donated. I am requirering that the riders were safety gear. Last year a young rider who was running cones with me took a bad beef because he refused to wear safety gear. Scared the hell out of me. The dude never came back to run cones again. Dudes what do you suggest. Eddy Texas Outlaws.

Mathias Puentedura

Post by Mathias Puentedura » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:12 am

I begun slalom one month ago and in a moderate hill I can pass 2 metre spaced Cones...
But I think 2 M 50 is better... more fun and easier!

2m50 tight in a coool hill is for me the best way to begin...