Are you new? Got a question? Ask it here.

A Forum For New Racers.

Moderator: Karl Floitgraf

Are you new? Got a question? Ask it here.

Post by Guest » Fri May 09, 2003 10:44 pm

Welcome to the wonderful world of Slalom!

To start things off I suppose a Q&A is a good thing. If you are new to slalom and have a question regarding pumping, course setting, equipment...anything slalom related ask it here.

We will try to answer it.... If your question is covered in another forum on this site we will point out where to go so you can get more detailed information...

This will get the ball rolling until content gets put up in here.

Post by Guest » Fri May 09, 2003 11:00 pm

<b>***Editor's Note: This was a question posted by Mike Johnson originally that I moved into this thread.***</b>

I'm running an RTX wedged for steer front truck and a dewedged RTS with avalons (homemade deck with an 18 inch wheelbase) ...now i'm extremely impressed with the turnability but it seems hella squirrely to me and quite unstable at high speeds say 30-35mph. Now is there anything i can do to detune the front RTX? I could run it without a wedge but i was wondering what my esteemed peers think about this and what they think about RTS/X set ups.

Thanks a lot

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chris Stepanek on 2003-05-09 17:20 ]</font>

Post by Guest » Fri May 09, 2003 11:04 pm

Mike....the Tracker RT-X/S combo is a good slalom combo, good turn range with fairly ok stability. Removing the wedge from the front RT-X won't add much stability but it will slow down the turning in the front. By design the RT-X is a "tippy" truck, you get ALOT of turn upfront and they it stops, while the RT-S has a more "stable" turn with a deeper turn range. If you have it try a RT-S upfront, you will notice the board will turn slower but smoother but stability at speed will increase by quite alot.

Check the "Tracker" forum for more detailed info about the RT-X/S combo..

I hope this helps.

Mike Johnson

Post by Mike Johnson » Sat May 10, 2003 7:44 am

Thanks Chris, now i like the set up for tight slalom running 2.5 meter centers and the trucks seem to enjoy this hectic spacing and speed but like i say on a hill with the 16 cones i own spaced at 3-4 meters offset it gets so sketchy. As i have two seismic 110mm trucks i may run one set up with a seismic rear with an rts front and one with an rtx front. Any thoughts?

Excuse the many questions but i live far away from any slalom comps and maybe get to two a year so do not get much of a chance to compete.Henceforth i like to use "proven" set ups and adapt my style to the available hardware so that i'm relatively competitive on the day.

Post by Guest » Sat May 10, 2003 6:56 pm

Mike,
Try the Seismics. They may give you more stability depending on how strong your ankles are. I have found seismics "dive" into a turn instead of feeling tippy. However for stability I found that seismics are easier to "center" with your ankles and keep locked. But it takes practice. Also if you have red or green springs you will find they make the seismic VERY stable. Yellow springs are failry soft.

The general rule of thumb for seismic use in the USA seems to be running a seismic up front with a traditional truck/offset in the back. This gives you a quick turn in the front with a dead/stable rear. However Europeans seem to do it the otherway around. The swiss guys with their flexy boards tend to run a normal truck up front and a seismic in back. I've tried this on soft twisty decks like an indiana and it works. My only thinking is that the return to center of the seismic hels with rear traction on the soft/twisty deck. This combo doesn't work as well on stiffer decks (american decks).

Keep mixing and matching your trucks to find the optimal combo. The RT-X/S and Seismics are a very good match though.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Sat May 10, 2003 7:54 pm

I use RTs all the time. Good trucks, esp. for beginners. They posted 8.34 sec at Cyber Torture, and did ok at hill climb and long board race at the Gathering (this info is only for credibility purposes).

I use them 95% of the time in practice, with no cones and timers. Good pumping trucks.

For flat, no angled risers are needed. Maybe only 6-degree negative wedge in the back, if the bushings are soft.

The front needs a 6-degree angled riser only on super (5.5 ft and less on a hill) tight stuff, 99% of the time I keep it flat. The back usually gets 11-12 degree dewedge for downhill course. The front could benefit from 6 degree DEWEDGE on downhill courses as well. Esp. if you’re into soft bushings, such as soft/medium Stimulators.

I’m not sure about 30 mph on these trucks. Maybe with harder bushings… Richy might know a good high speed RT set-up recipe.
I'm running an RTX wedged for steer front truck and a dewedged RTS with avalons (homemade deck with an 18 inch wheelbase) ...now i'm extremely impressed with the turnability but it seems hella squirrely to me and quite unstable at high speeds say 30-35mph. Now is there anything i can do to detune the front RTX? I could run it without a wedge but i was wondering what my esteemed peers think about this and what they think about RTS/X set ups.

Thanks a lot

Mike Johnson

Post by Mike Johnson » Sun May 11, 2003 7:55 am

Cheers, i'm trying the seismic back truck today with a dewedged rtx front to see how it performs.

Jeff Boswell

mongo

Post by Jeff Boswell » Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:19 pm

Can anybody give any tips on learning to skate mongo. Having a tuff time

Jeff Bozwell

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:55 am

“ Friends don’t let friends learn to skate mongo.”

Seriously, though, check with Chris Chaput if you get a chance. He's a mongoid.

Hunter Singleton

Post by Hunter Singleton » Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:57 am

Why would you really want to skate mongo? Are there any advantages besides it looks cool?

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:28 am

Some people beleive that during lunge starts, the mongo push gives a more powerful start.

I think that Jeff might actually be asking for help in coping with the uncontrolable habit known as mongo. I was just having fun with the way he worded his post. The only person I have ever seen foot drag with the leading foot is Chris Chaput, so I was serious in referring Jeff to him.

<sub>*Lunge start - When there is a designated start box which after leaving, the racer is forbidden from foot-pushing.</sub>
Join Folding@Home for the good of humankind, or at least for your loved ones (whatever species they may be). It's easy, free and fun, too!

Hunter Singleton

Post by Hunter Singleton » Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:30 pm

What exactly is Cyber-slalom????????????????????

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Are you ready to WORK!!?

Post by Tod Oles » Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:32 pm

Hunter

Check out this link http://www.ncdsa.com/cyber_slalom.asp You'll need a chalkline, tape measure and just a stick of sidewalk chalk to mark out the couse.

I like to use this course to measure how different board setups pump and handle. It takes 174 feet of pavement just for the course and when you get good and fast you'll need plenty of run out room beyond the finish line.

When you start timing yourself you'll see how just 2 or 3 tenths of a second will seem like an hour! Get ready to sweat cuz this will teach you how to PUMP! (you can run this course in the reverse direction also).

Hey I gotta tell ya it's great to see you young guys gettin into racing!
Talk to you later, Tod

Seth Levy

camber

Post by Seth Levy » Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:46 pm

what is camber?

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:58 pm

Camber is the opposite of rocker, a cambered board that has an upward curve.

Q

edit: added example image from daddiesboardshop.com
Last edited by Jack Quarantillo on Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:02 am

ah thanks. How much, if any, is good if you like a lot of flex?

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:41 am

Camber and Flex are in the personal preference category...

Sorta like concave and nose/tail kick...

I'm too much of a noob, that I don't yet know what I prefer.

Camber and flex are supposed to work together, as you pump hard into a turn, you flex the camber to flat or even a rocker shape, then as you unweight and go to the next turn, the board pops back at you...

I suggest you come to the next DC Slalom (Jan 17) and try some boards.

Q

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:52 am

Yeah! Exactly! What <b>is</b> camber? What <b>is</b> flex? Is flexy really seksy? How flexy is seksy? So many variables. So little wood. Save the trees. Get a plank...kR.

"I want your flex." George Michael. :D

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:55 am

i will try to be there. i have always been a little intimidated by them, but i really want to try. The only one i have tried was too stiff for me. I have only used flat decks since then.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:05 am

On a serious note, my worst slalom experience was on a high cambered board that was too stiff.
Watch out for the DC guys. Slappy's against everything, Ohm is mean to most newcomers and WesE bites.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:43 am

vlad,
easy on the russian humor...

not everyone gets it when you're joking.

Seth, just come, you'll have a ball. The DC Slalom crew is very friendly, you prolly met 2/3 of them at Vans already.

Q

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:24 am

haha ok will do. is it at the metro stop like last time?

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:15 am

Seth,
Directions can be found on this thread...

viewtopic.php?t=362&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=400

It isn't a metro stop, it is a Park & Ride (assuming they use the regular spot).

Keep an eye on the DC forum and you'll be dialed in.

Q

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Mongo-Lloyd

Post by Andy Bittner » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:33 am

For the record... I push mongo, believe it offers more power when limited to a single push/lunge start, and also footbrake mongo, although I am not as adept or quick to brake with my leading foot as Chaput is.

Rich Stephens

Post by Rich Stephens » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:31 am

I think pushing regular (back foot) allows one's foot to be on the ground for a much longer distance that it can be if pushing mongo. To me, that would lead to more power, no?

I see two other problems with mongo:

1.Pushing mongo requires a constant movement of the back foot on and off the tail (of regular skateboards). Move the back foot forward so you won't wheelie while pushing, then back to the tail while coasting (so you are ready to go over obstacles).For slalom skaters with no tail on their board I guess it's not a problem but for those skating regular skateboards it is.

2. It's also much easier to steer a board off the front trucks and if you've got no foot on there while pushing, then you are out of luck and have to put your feet back on to turn out of the way of a rock or something. Think about it this way: if you had to run cones standing on only one foot, would you want it to be your front foot or your back foot?

-slim

Matt Grant

Post by Matt Grant » Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:51 pm

I don't know about the power thing.

Your right about 1.) It is a little harder to setup foot positioning for obstacles especially where space is tight and there are many obstacles to hit and speed is needed inbetween. Mongo footed wheelies don't occur once you get comfortable, I mostly skate with my heel over the rear truck bolts and only once in a while I use this foot positioning to steer (using the wheelie method) the board out of the way of incoming kidos.

As for number 2.) I disagree with the steering problem. I keep my back truck a little tighter than the front and I use my inner and outer foot along with my weight(sometimes I have to move my foot a little to either side I'm aiming for) to steer clear of pebbles with no problems.

I've been skating mongo for over 10 years now and I still find it cumbersome in some situations. I am in the process of learning to skate regular but it has been hard to break the mongo habit. I still have tons of fun everytime I skate tho.

Barry Gourley

mango ?????

Post by Barry Gourley » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:40 pm

In detail could someone tell me what it is?? As i red on i see it has something to do with footing.
I push with my right foot and the left on the front just behind the front truck bolts.
Thanks,
Barry

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:56 pm

It is MONGO, not MANGO!

Mongo = pushing with your front foot.

Q

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:54 pm

problems with mongo are basically that it is harder to set up and you cant turn while pushing.

BUT THE WORST THING ABOUT MONGO IS ITS F'ING UGLY!!!! LOL!!! (that is my taz impersonation for those who know who he is)