new to this

A Forum For New Racers.

Moderator: Karl Floitgraf

Alan Gelfand

Post by Alan Gelfand » Sat Apr 26, 2003 3:54 pm

New to salom racing looking forward to racing in Maryland next week .I have never tried to turn on a skateboard until a few months ago I always had metal washers in the trucks.
I have read the posts on this site and have come to the conclusion that a lot of people on this site need to skate more and have fun. I personally sk8 every day Looking forward to trying this new form of sk8ting
All i have to say is shut up and sk8.

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Post by Andy Bittner » Sat Apr 26, 2003 4:17 pm

Alan, I'm so stoked that you're going to be at The 3rd Gathering. What you're going to find when you get here is a bunch of great people, an atmosphere that is all about fun, and plenty of racing too.

I must admit, in my wildest imagination, I never imagined a day when Ollie would show up as a slalom racer. Isn't there some auto racing in your past (or present)? It seems to me I heard something about you and cars. Racing is racing. I think you'll enjoy the company.

See ya then.

(FYI- The photo that is with each of my posts was shot on the Main Hill at the gathering site.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Andy Bittner on 2003-04-26 10:19 ]</font>

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Post by Rick Stanziale » Sat Apr 26, 2003 6:14 pm

Y'all don't mind if I sell "I beat Ollie" shirts at the Gathering, do you?

Thanks for letting me skate your ramp last November, I'm a vert dog from the 70's but slalom is much gentler on the old bones (and I'm not talking about Powell Peralta wheels)

Henry Hester
Team RoeRacing "Bad H"
Team RoeRacing "Bad H"

Post by Henry Hester » Sat Apr 26, 2003 7:16 pm

Alan,
The trick to this slalom thing is to jump or "hop" your board over the cones.
Henry :smile:

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Post by Claude Regnier » Sat Apr 26, 2003 7:19 pm

So Henry your giving tips,now? Your saying going over is faster then going around?

LOL,

C-YA
Many Happy Pumps!

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Sat Apr 26, 2003 7:36 pm

Alan is pretty fast so I doubt you'll sell many shirts.

If we get Alan Sponsored for slalom that will fufill my slalom goal # 3 for the year. viewtopic.php?topic=433&forum=43

To others new to slalom I hope you all come out to get introduced to the sport. To the promotoers- Perhaps we should have a mini clinic on wheel choice, deck choice, truck geometries, bearings, racing strategies etc. that is more formal. Shouldn't take more than 20 minutes.

Perhps something to be said on courses and techniques for designing you own courses.

Alan- what do you hope to learn from the Gathering?

Alan Gelfand

Post by Alan Gelfand » Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:19 pm

It will not be very hard to beat me .I have only run cones 2 times with John and the boys and if I beat you, you are really slow. But let’s see if I like it, then when I practice then look out. PS: I have tried to Ollie on the Roe board it is not possible But it does carve my 48’ ramp awesome have been grinding the coping with it. See ya soon

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Post by Rick Stanziale » Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:46 pm

Being able to travel and skate vert with Gelfand, or cones with ANY of the fast guys, is like fantasy camp for skateboarding.

That an event such as the Gathering is able to welcome seasoned slalom veterans, newbies and everyone in between, speaks volumes on the caliber of the skateboard community.

Alan - can you get pics grinding the Roe?

Chuck Gill

Post by Chuck Gill » Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:05 pm

Alan, come out and ride with us on weekends when we get together, you'll learn a lot hanging out with others. We still get together to ride that overpass, and the other hill by the theater in WPB is always an option. Brady knows the lowdown on these, and has a few spots down there as well. On the days when we can get McCree to come out and ride with us too, he is an excellent teacher and will benefit you.

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

Post by Henry Julier » Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:42 pm

ollie, I was new to slalom a year ago and have fallen in love with it. I'll teach you some basics at the gathering! :grin:

Henry J

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:23 pm

Welcome to Slalom! Alan.

What you see here: http://www.slalomskateboarder.com is a electronic version of a half page magazine of the International Skateboard Slalom Association and a forum to back it up. I'm not quite sure how far it goes back, but it's definately a part of slalom skateboard racing's history.

There are a lot of us who are first generation vertical skaters and we all know who you are, you being a part of vertical skateboardings history. We are all glad to see your posts here, quite an honor.

On any account, I wish you well with your slalom skateboarding interests. Good luck at your first race.

adam trahan