Help Needed

A Forum For New Racers.

Moderator: Karl Floitgraf

Burcu Biliker

Help Needed

Post by Burcu Biliker » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:06 pm

Hi All,

I am completely a stranger to skateboarding, and have a project that is related to skateboarding. I need some realistic information about the acceleration and average speed values for a skateboarder on flat ground, using only one's own power. How fast can one go on flat groung using only his/her own power? ( What are some realistic values, for a professional?) I have looked at the rankings however they are point values only. and I don't know how to interpret them as speed values (m/sec, km/hr, mph...etc).

Any kind of information on this would be extremely helpful, even if it is not very detailed...

Thank you!!
Burcu

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:48 pm

Burcu,

Probably the best indication of potential flat speed is the CYBER SLALOM. Here's the layout:

Stand still
Clock start
PUSH 15 feet
No pushing after the first cone.
Slalom through 25 cones spaced at 6 feet apart.
15 feet to finish line (no push)
Stop clock.

The total distance is 174 feet (15 + 15 + 144)

The fastest time for this course is 7.9 seconds. The math will reveal this is an average speed from start to finish line of 15 miles an hour or 22 feet per second.

Now, remember: this is AVERAGE. Of course, the skater may push into and then accelerate through the length of the course. Top speed could be in excess of 18 or maybe 20 mph?

But, there ya' go. That's is the achievable potential a skater can go on a flat surface.