new to slalom need advice

A Forum For New Racers.

Moderator: Karl Floitgraf

sean feeney

new to slalom need advice

Post by sean feeney » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:11 am

hey guys im not new to longboarding, i race and slide but i want to try slalom. I was wondering what board i should start out with? I was thinking about a setup and i came up w/ this, please tell me your thoughts, 149mm tracker RT-X and S, 66 or 70mm zigzags, abec 7 bearings or something of the sorts and the Libido from rayne(website below) I dont know anything about slaloming or the boards so this was just from basic info that i had seen. I dont want a beginner board i just would like a board with a good setup that can get me off to a good start.

http://www.raynelongboards.com/usa/libido.htm

P.S. what mm trucks are good for slaloming?

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:41 am

100 mm(ish)

I'd go for an AXE complete to start off w/ or something similar
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Pelle Gustafsson
Pelle
Pelle

board

Post by Pelle Gustafsson » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:04 am

how much are you ready to pay??? thats the most important thing

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

Post by Lenny Poage » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:50 pm

You'll find there are as many opinions about this as there are skaters. That said:

As far as truck width: I agree with Dave. It really depends on what kind of slalom you want to skate. If you're looking at wider courses on steeper grade (GS), you may want something a bit wider in a truck. If you want to do something a bit tighter (where the cones are closer together), you may want something a bit narrower. But all said and done, something in the neighborhood of 100mm would be a versatile all-around truck.

My advice would be to check out an Axe complete. They put together great boards and really know their stuff. Once you get a complete and skate it, it's much easier to tweek the board as you grow.
HOSS

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:56 pm

Sean,

I'll concur with the others here and send you to Sk8kings...

You'll be able to tell Richy Carrasco
your weight and other important aspects of your general style and he will wedge and bush
the steering so it will be a couple of wrench turns from raceable right out of the box...

Also, if you'll give up your general location we can probably hook you up with someone
that'll have setups to try if you'd want to go that route...

Later, Tod