board,trucks,wheels

A Forum For New Racers.

Moderator: Karl Floitgraf

jake snyder

board,trucks,wheels

Post by jake snyder » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:08 am

hey guys my name is jake snyder and im 13 and im starting toget into slalom and may be entering the dixie cup, so i would like toknow what a good board trucks and wheels would be,i want an all around board , not just for tight.,etc.

Ron Barbagallo
Fatboy

Post by Ron Barbagallo » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:46 pm

Get yourself the latest issue of Criddle Magazine, there's a great article in there about beginning slalom gear

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/a ... issue-two/
Evil Potentate
Team Fatboy - all hopped up on goofballs!

Still douchebags, but CLASSY douchebags ;)

UNDISPUTED WORLD CATAMARAN CHAMPS!

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

New Stuff

Post by Claude Regnier » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:41 pm

Get a hold of Marion Karr and the DHB guys. They will have stuff for you to try and you figure out what will work best for you for now.

They may also have some used gear you could buy for now.

Good Luck, smile and have fun, EH!

Also make sure you come down to check out the Worlds there will be a lot of gear around to see. If your lucky you might even see some good slalomers, LOL.
Many Happy Pumps!

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:43 pm

Hey man I'm moving on tuesday to Greensboro NC to go to school this year. I can't wait to get involved in the DHB scene. If your ever up the way of Guilford College in Greensboro- I'll coach you.

Welcome to the sport man.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Marty Agather

Post by Marty Agather » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:26 pm

Jake,

Welcome! If you can make it to a race before you buy, do it. You will see a lot of different ideas, and if you talk to some of the guys during down time (don't pester them right before a race!) most guys would love to talk to you and let you try their rigs. The only downside to that is that many of the guys that are going to be at a race like DHB Worlds are going to be riding rigs that will break your piggy bank wide open.

So to answer your original question about good gear to get a start, unfortunately it will be difficult to get a single setup that will do everything from Tight to GS really well.

Equipment:

Your best bet would be to buy a "hybrid" deck with a couple of different truck mounting points pre-drilled. That way you can shorten (tighter) or lengthen (more open courses) your wheelbase depending upon the course. Start with a good laminated wooden deck without alot of flex from one of the board manufacturers listed in the forum section on boards. Tracker RTX (front) and RTS (rear) are inexpensive and designed for slalom. Some 70 mm wheels in a softer duro (80a or thereabouts) from Abec11 or Seismic will fill you out.

Where to buy:

Unless you have a local shop that for some reason knows about slalom, you are going to have to go shop the i-net. Sk8kings has a great reputation, and they will work with you to custom set up one of their "axe" slalom completes - right bushings for your weight etc. milehighskates is another very reputable dealer, and also sells completes, but I don't know how much slalom equipment he has. The advantage of a 'semi-custom' complete is that the components are known to work together. The only problem is that selection is a bit more limited, so if you are really dying to ride a board made by XXXX, you might have to buy everything separate.

I hope to see you at a race sometime in the future,
Skate 'em if you got 'em.

jake snyder

Post by jake snyder » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:44 am

right now i have a gfh 24, with there stock 4 inch trucks and i put 75a 65mm sector nine's i had layin around and it works good but i need better,today me and a bud put some shoes(as cones) and did some hybrid, i would also like to know the lentghs btwn gs, hybrid, and tigh i cant seem to find it on the fish.

thanks

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:11 pm

Jake,

Here's a thread with some course setting diagrams... (you'll see alot of the features in these diagrams at races)...

http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/phpBB ... php?t=1149

Don't get all hung up about the spacings as that will depend on the steepness of the hill...
Use the diagrams as a general "guide" and you can adjust spacings and offsets to you and your equipments ability...

Just set'um up and don't knock'em down... :-)

Later, Tod

Marcos Soulsby-Monroy

Post by Marcos Soulsby-Monroy » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:42 pm

Hey Jake.

Her is a link for making your own slalom board. http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/f ... hp?t=25840

Claude Regnier Posted: 09 Aug 2007 06:41 Post subject: New Stuff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get a hold of Marion Karr and the DHB guys. They will have stuff for you to try and you figure out what will work best for you for now.

They may also have some used gear you could buy for now.

Good Luck, smile and have fun, EH!

Also make sure you come down to check out the Worlds there will be a lot of gear around to see. If your lucky you might even see some good slalomers, LOL.
I agree with Claude on this one the DHBs are great guys and can help you a lot.
As Luck would have it . . .