Special Slalom: request for info

A Forum For New Racers.

Moderator: Karl Floitgraf

Hans Lucas
1963-2014 (RIP)

Special Slalom: request for info

Post by Hans Lucas » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:30 pm

I would appreciate all information about Special Slalom, like cone setups, types of boards, trucks and wheels, but especially: types of tracks.

I noticed that some Dutch slalom guys seem to have a talent for the Special, or Hybrid as they like to call it.

Coming Sunday (March 25, 2007, around 12:30 PM) we will meet on a hill near Amsterdam ("Spaarnwoude", ) with about 100 cones. I'll take the "Trocadéro settings" of a special slalom track with me, along with a camera and an ancient foam Sims Summerski Racing with Midtracks and Bones 60mm 85A.

BTW: I just read that Ramon uses: "(depending on the surface)...90A/86A on my C81 for Special/Hybrid slalom. ..." with much harder wheels for TS.

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:13 pm

Tough question as course depends upon size and slope of hill. Roughly though cones can be 6-12 feet apart, some offset a foot or two from the "main line" of the course. The main line does not need to be straight, but could be set curved. I have a spreadsheet I can send you, but you will need to adjust the distance between cones to suit your hill.

On boards, hybrid or special slalom calls for something around a 20" wheelbase, the bones wheels may not be suited for slalom because of their radial lip, slalom usually call for a hard square lip to give traction. Also, if you are comfortable with speed and spacing, a larger wheels like 70mm will give you a higher top end speed than the guys on 65mm.

Joe