new and stupid

A Forum For New Racers.

Moderator: Karl Floitgraf

Jon Taylor

new and stupid

Post by Jon Taylor » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:06 pm

I recently tried skateboarding on a 1970's Bahne in the hills of West Virginia and loved it. The problem is I am completely inexperienced and not knowledgable about anything related to skateboards. This is the set up I am thinking about getting.

Bahne BlackHill deck
Siesmic Aluminum Truck - 105mm (front)
Tracker RT/S - 106mm (back)

----------------------------------------------
- I don't completely understand wedging.
- I don't understand how the wheels are sized. Can someone explain to me the theory behind that.
-I don't understand the bearings completely either. What are the spacers for? How many do I need?

Sorry I am an idiot. I appreciate any help offered.

Ron Olsen

Post by Ron Olsen » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:13 pm

Jon,

You are not an idiot! Slalom boards require a lot more tuning than my regular riders (longboard and park), not to say that they don't benefit from some of the tuning.

As to your board:

Bahne Blackhill - This is a fine entry board, but Consider options such as the Sk8kings AXE series, Pocket Pistols, Chi-ill, Skaterbuilt. They and others have good moderately priced boards. The Blackhill is a bit of a retro style, with cutaway nose and tail, and if it suits you, then fine. I've ridden one, and it's a nice responsive deck, just not for my style.

Trucks - I've never ridden seismic - on the forum here most discuss their use as a rear truck in the stable geometry version. Seismic's aren't used much on the front. Also, not that it is difficult, but tuning a seismic can require springs be replaced, just as bushings are used to tune a conventional truck - it's just a bit more difficult and expensive to have several sets.

I'd lock at an RT-X tracker on the front along with that RT-S rear. A nice bushing assortment like the Khiro kits would allow you to fine tune your turning.

68-69-70mm wheels like Hot Spots and Zig Zags are the standard wheel for slalom. Some riders prefer a smaller wheel for Tight Slalom (I do, I use the 66mm Zigs). Smaller wheels have less roll speed, but seem to provide faster action for turning, as well as more wheel clearance for narrow trucks on tight slalom. Somehow they seem to offer more tenacious grip.

Wedging is used to cause the truck to steer faster (positive), or slower (negative or de-wedge). Front trucks are positive wedged (thick part at rear of truck) to cause the truck to steer faster. Opposite on the rear where thick wedging at the rear slows down the truck for better traction.

Bearing spacers keep the bearings properly aligned on the axle, and prevent binding. For slalom wheels they all take 1 10mm spacer per wheel.

Everyone on this board that knows me knows I am a huge fan of the AXE series from Sk8kings. I suggest taking a look at a retailer like Sk8kings where they will customize the board you choose with proper wedging and hardware, a nice selection of wheels, bearings, spacers, grip tape, the works. The AXE completes they sell are a great value, and ready to race out of the box. http://www.sk8kings.com

Welcome to the forum!

RonO

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:16 pm

Jon,this is Cfav from CHIxILL.we dont sell completes yet,so when someone is new i always reccomend a complete,therefore,you would not go wrong with an AXE complete.my good deed for the day.cfav
Freak Bros. Racing
www.chixillskateboards.com

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:39 pm

Jon,

since the boss and Ron said it above ^ And you're just getting started, I too suggest calling Richy and Maria at sk8kings.com. That'll be your one stop shop to getting a totally competent complete right off the bat!! so you can just get skating no fuss no muss...

Once you study that board and see how it's tuned with wedges bushings etc. you'll be
way ahead of the game in understanding slalom setups....

Go ahead......Santa yourself!! ;-)

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:39 am

Jon,
Where in WBGVa? You've got north/south and New River district covered for helping you out!
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Marty Agather

Post by Marty Agather » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:46 am

Jon,

I too am new. One of the best things you can do is to hook up with some guys that are already skating slalom. Hopefully they can steer you away from any bad habits and prevent you from making a bunch of mistakes. And chances are good that they will let you try their rigs, and you can get some ideas of what you might like or not.

I didn't start with a complete, and as such, have cycled thru a number of equipment iterations trying to get something that works well together. I also made my initial decisions based upon my vintage gear which didn't necessarily work out to be the least cost alternatives.

Welcome! As they say, the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked.

Skate em if you got em,

Marty

Jon Taylor

Post by Jon Taylor » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:57 am

thanks for all your help

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

Post by Lenny Poage » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:36 pm

Check your PM box. We're having a session tomorrow afternoon in Huntington. Come on by!!
HOSS