what board to get?

A Forum For New Racers.

Moderator: Karl Floitgraf

rick lewis

what board to get?

Post by rick lewis » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:58 am

Hello I have several different types of boards. I am now ready to add a slalom board. There are so many killer boards out there and so little time and money..
I have narrowed it down between roe PS, subsonic lowland 32, skaterbuilt cone killer and maybe something from pocket pistols.. What should i consider when getting a bored.. I am just a novice. I am 6'2" and around 218lbs. I believe performance is better the aesthetics but i love both. I even thought about a tunnel or Bahne board..

Anyone, care to give some suggestions or information I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers,

Keep on rolling

Marty Agather

Post by Marty Agather » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:32 pm

Rick,

I'm new to slalom as well, having taken a detour many years ago after a number of years skating. At this point, I've been running cones for about 2 months give or take. I've recently purchased 4 boards, but due to budget constraints I'm using some antique trucks and wheels on a couple. The ultimately recoverable mistake that I have made is that I ended up with a couple single purpose boards, when I would have been better served with something a bit more universal.

My suggestion would be to talk with any skating buddies to see what types of courses they are skating in practice and fun gatherings, and lean towards a board that will fit that type of skating. If all they run are 6' courses, then pick up a TS board. BUT if they are running GS type courses, that board is going to be less applicable, and you are going to want something with a longer wb. If they run a combo, then you need to think about something that is more versatile, and has a couple of wheelbases drilled. Then you can switch up with the turn of a screw driver.

I'm basically as tall as you are, but you've got me in the weight department. I've found that a longer deck is a bit more comfortable for me, as I've got longer legs. My latest deck is a hybrid Cone Killer, and it seems to be pretty good size to me. It also performs pretty well in TS as I've got it set up with the short wheelbase, but I can get another 2" if I go wide.

I've skated a number of Roes & Pocket Pistols and they are very high quality boards. The Roe S camber is nice, but I think it's a bit too small for my size for an all purpose. If I didn't already own to other dedicated TS boards, I might have bought one. The brown bomber rocks. I don't know about the Subsonic board, but they look pretty nice too.

Finally, I think the truck wheel setup can be as important to performance as the board itself, so if you have the ability to try some buddies set ups and find one you really like, then try to duplicate it.

Hope this helps. I'm feeling my way thru the dark as well.

Marty

Joe Goodwin

Hi Rick

Post by Joe Goodwin » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:53 pm

I just traded my Vintage Turner in for an Axe 1. Let me tell you when they say its ready to race out of the the box they mean it! Plus the support you get from Richy and Rene as well as Maria is amazing and worth way more then the price of the Skate. Just a suggestion, But do check it out.

Rock on
Joe

Marty Agather

Post by Marty Agather » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:26 pm

Joe,

When you say "trade" I hope you meant "retired"! They can't make any more "Vintage" Turners. And since you brought it up....

Rick, one of the items that may seduce you is the super cool high end boards from any number of mfrs. I'll leave to others the discussion of where those boards fit in a quiver, but I'd suggest that they aren't the right first board, again because they are so highly specialized. I will say that I struggle to make a clean tight run on my CK, but rip it clean with a new Turner with old underpinnings.

Joe has a great point in that a 'complete' is going to give you a set of components that work well together, and may save you some headaches in trying something that doesn't quite work.

Marty

Joe Goodwin

Hey Marty

Post by Joe Goodwin » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:48 pm

I actually sold it to a collector at the La Costa race, I owed Maria some $. The Guy that bought it Will use it. I weighed 190 in in my racing days and now 240, And dont think Bob would want it hanging on a wall. When I first talked to Maria I told her did'nt like the new stance , and that I could'nt believe a ridged board could be as good as a flex board, MAN!! was I wrong! The first time I rode my AXE could not believe the pump you could get. And as for the Stance, I can see how my old offset ski stance is inferior. and would be tough on a ramp start.

Rock on
Joe

Oh yeah, Rick check out www.sk8kings.com
Just for consideration.

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Board?

Post by Marty Schaub » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:23 am

Just AXE baby........
La Costa Boy For Life

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:38 am

Rick,

Where do you live.Maybe we can hook you up with a group of racers. We all have multiple boards and usually let careful folks test drive.

That being said, Ritchie does a great service for setting up completes. You can get an Axe from him if you like concave and kick or a brown bomber if you like a flatter board.

Joe