A question of style....

A Forum For New Racers.

Moderator: Karl Floitgraf

Marty Agather

A question of style....

Post by Marty Agather » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:00 am

As an old school skater returning to the fold, I bring virtually no competitive experience, but plenty of gravity fed hours of skating. My primary venue was Boulder in the late 70's, and thus the source of my conflict and question to the assembled group:

Having watched ARA events and the stars of the era, our group picked up the parallel style, and used it for our downhill street rat riding. It provided great performance and kept us in shape for the winter ski season.

Having recently found my way home, I've geared up based upon my history, and begun to practice TS with new gen foamie and old school style. Although the rust is thick, some things don't get completely atrophied, so after a couple of hours on the board, I'm getting the old balance back. Weighting/unweighting is something you don't forget, and I'm getting some acceleration and pump.

While skating with a long time midwest slalom guy last night, he suggested a more traditional hybrid surf/parallel style, with one foot forward and one foot back. After working a half dozen or so rides on his new school set up (absent foam and glass), I was pumping quite a bit stronger with better acceleration.

And so the question is this:

Is "pure" parallel style by definition a less competitive form?

Numbers of skaters using each and overall race finishes would suggest that modified parallel or surf is more competitive, but is that a function of the proponderance of skaters using one as compared to the other?

My heart remains with parallel, but seeing as how I'm going to need to practice hard to gain nuance and technique, should I spend time with my history, or cherish my memories and romance a new woman?

I realize this discussion might be the equivalent of whether you prefer Ginger or MaryAnn, but:

WHAT DO YOU THINK? And yes Wes, I'm listening....

Stick to the fall line,

Marty