starting in slalom question?

A Forum For New Racers.

Moderator: Karl Floitgraf

Rui Soares

starting in slalom question?

Post by Rui Soares » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:56 am

Would it be best for beginner to start off learning TS and only later trying hybrid and GS or would it better for a new slalom rider to immerse him or herself in riding all three from the start?

Leonardo Ojeda
Venezuelan Racer
Venezuelan Racer

Post by Leonardo Ojeda » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:38 am

Rui have you tried cyber slalom? it was a good way to start for me at least. at 1st i started practicing my pump without cones and then i just throw a few in line like 8 feet apart and everytime i made it clean i put them closer until i could do 6 and sometimes 5.5.

Hybrid would be a a nice setupt being that you can make more courses with it.
"I`ll see you at the end of the hill"

Rui Soares

Post by Rui Soares » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:49 pm

Thanks Leonardo. Are you still planning on going to NJ, if so, let me know since I gotta figure out who Im driving.

Rui

Leonardo Ojeda
Venezuelan Racer
Venezuelan Racer

Post by Leonardo Ojeda » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:23 pm

yup im still going. i might drive also. still dont know for sure that.
"I`ll see you at the end of the hill"

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:26 am

Get a good pump going first wth straight cones. then add offsets- then add step overs, then try a mild curve.

once you are really fast with TS on a steep hill- start with some GS on a hill that is at the steepness limit for TS.

I would not advise starting with GS... I've seen some kids get "stuck" when they start with GS and they never develop the body english or pump needed to be fast.

Start on a slight slope- practice flatland once in a while (mostly if you get kicked of fhte hill)

Pump around the neighborhood- see how far you can travel without touching the ground.

Try pumping downhill for max speed and then try pumping uphill for a low gear- also good for slow starts.

Now try different wheelbase boards and differnt trucks...don't change too often when you start out- or it will be hard to find your groove for a given board set up.
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour