Sliding back wheels

A Forum For New Racers.

Moderator: Karl Floitgraf

Blake Learmonth

Sliding back wheels

Post by Blake Learmonth » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:37 am

The sliding out rear wheels seems to be a common newbie or in my case re-newbie question. Mine happens pretty violently on heels-down turns, going for offset cones on asphault. Doesn't happen in tight non-offset courses. It happens but I can control it, on smooth concrete. Since super-soft, trimmed, red Cambrias in the rear didn't solve the problem I'm thinking it has to be technique, although I don't really feel like I'm transfering all my weight forward, I almost must be. Sliding doesn't normally bother me, but in this case, by the time the rear gets loose, I've usually initiated the next turn so the board is headed up the hill and I'm headed down to the asphault.
I've read some of the related posts and will work on putting more weight on my rear foot, But, hoping it's equipment...my board is soft and fairly twisty??? I've been advised to go both harder/tighter and softer/looser on the rear truck by different fast people and I have an offset rear truck on order. (which also shortens the WB an inch or so...) I'm trying to work this out in my head (rather that with my feet) becasuse I'm slightly broken at the moment, 2-3 weeks before I can quit typing an get back to experimenting.

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:18 am

try counter balance.when you heelside raise your leading arm,toe side raise your trailing arm.what this does is shifts your shoulders and hips to the proper position for proper weighting.good luck,cfav
Freak Bros. Racing
www.chixillskateboards.com

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:02 am

That offset rear truck will likely help quite a bit, especially if you've been riding stock "standard" trucks.

Overall, it sounds like you've given it some thought. Keep noticing what happens. Back off a bit if you have to, try to find the point at which the sliding starts, and keep trying different things. Definitely "bend zee knees".

Another possibility: If you don't already do so, try placing your rear foot directly over the rear truck bolts.

And a (probably) silly question: Any chance you're getting wheelbite and that's what's pitching you off? I doubt that's the cause, but until you've ruled it out, even that is possible.

Good luck!

Etienne de Bary
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne de Bary » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:35 pm

Did you properly de-wedge your rear truck ? it should hardly turn at all, with harder bushings than the front truck.
i do not agree with putting foot over rear truck: feet should not be too far from one another (i think), so that (knees bent, top of the body anticipating the turn) you can control a bit of sliding with a secure balance, keep your mind on a proper "pressing" of the rear, but keep riding over the front truck.

Mike Cividino

Post by Mike Cividino » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:23 pm

build a 6 wheeler, then you will never have to learn how to keep the back end sticking.

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:45 pm

totally agree with what jonathan suggested.
good guy with valuable and race -proven experience.
etienne:where do you say is your rear foot?

and what is a sex-wheeler?

Etienne de Bary
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne de Bary » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:38 pm

Donald Campbell wrote:totally agree with what jonathan suggested.
good guy with valuable and race -proven experience.
etienne:where do you say is your rear foot?
My rear foot is at such a distance of my front foot that don't vary with the wheelbase.

Donald Campbell
Pavel
Pavel

Post by Donald Campbell » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:59 pm

so you're saying it's non-existant?

Etienne de Bary
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne de Bary » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:09 pm

... i have two feet... i do not understand...
i think if you put your feet too far from one another you can't control rear slides.

dewedging is the point anyway i guess...

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:50 am

Etienne, I think Donald may be "pulling your chain" a bit. :-)

Blake, what kind of board are you riding? If it's a cutaway, i.e. very narrow in the rear, then Etienne's stance advice may actually help, as the flexy boards of that type seem to have been designed to be ridden with more of a centered stance. And dewedging the back truck (skinny end of wedge riser faces the front of the board) will help keep it from overturning, as he says.

But overall, I think you will benefit more from getting "in the back seat". Most of your turning comes from the front truck, and most of your power and control will come from controlling and driving off of the back truck.

Remember, though, that these are just suggestions. When you get unbroken, give it some practice at manageable speeds, and see for yourself what works. Good luck!

Etienne de Bary
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne de Bary » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:23 pm

Jonathan Harms wrote:Etienne, I think Donald may be "pulling your chain" a bit. :-)
you don't think ?
;)

Blake Learmonth

sliding rear

Post by Blake Learmonth » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:03 pm

The board is: Flexie, cutaway (no wheel bite)(and my heel isn't on the wheel either) Tracker 107 x and s wedged and dewedged 10 to 15 degrees. Stance: left over from the 70s but inching further apart. I just shortened the board and wheelbase a bit. The trucks were right on the ends of a 30" board and there was a fair amount of twist in the back of the board.

Thanks for all the imput!

Blake Learmonth

Thanks

Post by Blake Learmonth » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:39 pm

Thanks for all the advice, the combination of which seems to have controled the sliding (without the offset truck, which is going on my GS board) Honestly, the knee bending has helped the most along with slightly shorter wheelbase that put my back foot closer to the rear truck and took some tortional slop out of the deck.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:33 am

ahhh...time for a new deck.

If it feels too twisty and you are trying to counter-act it...time for ebay.

Or hang the board on your wall. After while you'll have a bunch of nice expensive decorations as you progress.

Best thing for you to do now is attend ANY contest- preferably a small regional one. Jump on a bunch of different boards. Bring $75 bucks with you- and likely you'll go home with a nice new board for cheap that was not working for the previous owners weight range.

Good luck-

Pssst. any 200-230 pounders need a Roe Bottle rocket? Perfect condition.
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour

Chris Iversen
Chris I
Chris I

Post by Chris Iversen » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:25 am

John Gilmour wrote:ahhh...time for a new deck.
Pssst. any 200-230 pounders need a Roe Bottle rocket? Perfect condition.

John...
How muchy? Shoot me an email.
Live to skate, SKATE OR DIE!!!

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:32 am

Sold to Joe Iacovelli
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour