Pumping a Bahne, please help.

A Forum For New Racers.

Moderator: Karl Floitgraf

Mike River

Pumping a Bahne, please help.

Post by Mike River » Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:56 pm

Hola, Please offer any advice. i am new to the whole slalom thing (about one month). So I cannot really call myself a racer. And I don't know any other slalom skaters. I am currently practicing flatland pumping. The deck I am using is a Bahne Blackhill with grey Turner Cambrias on the front, and white 3dm Cambrias on the back. Front truck is a composite Seismic 110 yellow springs with a wedge, the rear truck is a Tracker rts, flat riser. The bearings are bones reds. (it came with some speed demon abec 5 which felt a bit rattley so I changed em)
So far I am confident in downhill slalom runs (as the hill gives the momentum) and can pump acceleration if I want to.
When it comes to flats however, I am finding it very hard. Today I just about began to get the hang of maintaining speed, but not for long. Accelerating while pumping seems an impossible goal. I ride goofy. I weigh about 57kg/125lbs. I am 25. I have read many articles and forums, but if any one has some tips regarding my set up (or any tips at all!) that would be grand.
Be cool. M

Nick Krest

Post by Nick Krest » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:05 pm

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:07 am

Mike,

A little shorter wheelbase, like 18-19in. between the inner truck holes and a board with a little
livelier flex for your 125lbs. might make the learning curve a bit easier. Also a larger wheel
like an Avalon will help you maintain momentum more readily... IMHO

When I first started learning to pump I didn't have any cones so I put big dots of chalk
down at 6ft. spacings. Having that visual queue to make turns around helped me make better progress than just freeriding did. Hope that helps a little, Tod

Mike River

thanks tod

Post by Mike River » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:33 pm

Hi tod, thanks for the tip. The deck I jave has multiple drill pattern so I shall try the shorter wheel base. I wasnt sure about the wheel size but what you suggested makes sense. Better start saving cos skate stuff is very expensive in britain. Be cool.

Paul Keleher
Paul Keleher
Paul Keleher

Post by Paul Keleher » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:00 pm

Mike,

one of the best slalomers in the UK lives in Brighton...Simon Levene.....

if you are ever passing that way drop into "small planet" as a couple of guys there slalom.

also during the summer, there are occasional slalom sessions on friday afternoon/eveninigs on brighton seafront.

keep your eyes open as there are quite a few UK slalomers on this site ( myself included) so you can always drop us a mail or PM.

we often fequent the UK section of NCDSA as well

keep practicing, the bahne black hill is a good starting point

Paul

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Re: thanks tod

Post by Tod Oles » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:22 pm

mike river wrote:Hi tod, thanks for the tip. The deck I jave has multiple drill pattern so I shall try the shorter wheel base. I wasnt sure about the wheel size but what you suggested makes sense. Better start saving cos skate stuff is very expensive in britain. Be cool.
Mike, spending other peoples money is a winter passtime of mine....;-)

Cheers and good luck, Tod

Mike River

Post by Mike River » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:56 pm

Paul Keleher wrote:Mike,

one of the best slalomers in the UK lives in Brighton...Simon Levene.....

if you are ever passing that way drop into "small planet" as a couple of guys there slalom.

also during the summer, there are occasional slalom sessions on friday afternoon/eveninigs on brighton seafront.

keep your eyes open as there are quite a few UK slalomers on this site ( myself included) so you can always drop us a mail or PM.

we often fequent the UK section of NCDSA as well

keep practicing, the bahne black hill is a good starting point

Paul
thanks Paul, I take it small planet is a shop? (please confirm) I go to brighton fairly regularly as I have friends that live there so I will check it out. Its kind of uplifting to know that there are slalom people in this country! Now if only the snow and general wetness would quit so I can get out there and practice!
Cheers.

Paul Keleher
Paul Keleher
Paul Keleher

Post by Paul Keleher » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:32 pm

yup,

small planet is a shop.

keep you eyes open on the forums as in the summer, there is a slalom comp in eastbourne sometime in july, also likely is brands hatch.

during the summer there are also slalom sessions in hyde park on Tuesday and thursdays ( also watch the forums) but that may be a bit of a way for you to travel