Help me select a deck

A Forum For New Racers.

Moderator: Karl Floitgraf

Michael Gira

Help me select a deck

Post by Michael Gira » Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:45 pm

I'm set to buy my first slalom deck. I'll set it up with Seismics (I like Seismics!) and probably Avalons (as they seem to be what everybody rides).

Now here's some other info:
  • * I like concave - just a little to let me know where my feet are.

* I can already pump my longboard through 7 foot cones - here's a <a href="http://doco.net/snow/">short video of me</a>.

* I'm willing to spend up to $100 on a deck, but cheaper is always better :)

* I weigh 170 lbs.

* I ride surf stance, and have big (size 11) feet.
So, what boards fit the bill?

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Post by Rick Stanziale » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:26 pm

Bahne (http://www.bahneskateboards.com) offers the Black Hill and Pocket Pistols (http://www.pocketpistolsskates.com) has the Hardcore Series - both are excellent entry level slalom racing decks.

Michael Gira

Post by Michael Gira » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:02 am

The Pocket Pistols site seems to be down, and the Bahne site doesn't say. Do either of these decks have concave?

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:26 pm

PocketPistolskates has two concave models. But a good starter board I recommend the BahneBlackHill. Both Co make excellent products. Eddy Texas Outlaws.

Eric Brammer

Starter Slalomboard

Post by Eric Brammer » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:22 pm

Micheal,the Pocket Pistols are a better board in the long term, as they offer a bit more performance. Pocket Pistols also sells Foam Wedge Strips ($8-12 per kit) that're self-adhesive,designed to be laid down under griptape,so with those you can create the concave you want on any deck.
"Surfin' these Old Hills since back in The Day"

Eric Brammer

Addenda on entry-level boards

Post by Eric Brammer » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:36 pm

Micheal, I gotta add this about my impressions on the Bahne + Pocket Pistol decks; I rode both boards, but I'd forgotten that the Bahne Blackhill had some serious miles on it, where the PP was fairly fresh. It is also possible that the Bahne I rode was a 6 ply instead of a 7 ply (which Bahne also offers),I can't recall.. So,consider them to be equal, and pick 'em by shape or (eek!) graphics or price. Keep in mind that Bahne has completes at a really good price, better than by 'building it up' yourself. I think that Daddies' (in Oregon) shop may still have 'em for sale,too.
"Surfin' these Old Hills since back in The Day"

Michael Gira

Post by Michael Gira » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:52 am

Thanks for the help everyone.

Yes Joe, I am in Japan.

It seems concave decks are a bit of a rarity in the slalom world. Is there a reason why?

Paul Keleher
Paul Keleher
Paul Keleher

Post by Paul Keleher » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:01 am

it you want a bit of concave, consider the airflow c-81.....have a search around on this forum

Carsten Pingel
Carsten Pingel
Carsten Pingel

Post by Carsten Pingel » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:03 pm

Nice video !! Slalom in a graveyard !! Lets start the graveyard racing series ?!?! :-)
And it doesn't seem that you are a slalom beginner ???? It looks advanced !