Offset Trucks

A Forum For New Racers.

Moderator: Karl Floitgraf

Frank Lee

Offset Trucks

Post by Frank Lee » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:46 pm

Hi, this is Frank Lee. I am a newbie to slalom skateboarding, and I am finding that there's quite a bit to learn. But, I am having a great time learning it! I have found many of the answers that I've been looking for on this forum. Thanks to the site sponsors and slalom community for making it what it is.

I have one question that still remains unanswered. It involves offset trucks. Can someone help direct me to existing thread or explain the advantages and disadvantages of having an offset truck? What's the physics behind it? The popular setup appears to be a regular truck on the front and an offset in the back. Why is that?

Sorry if this question may have already been asked.

Thank you.
Frank Lee

Tom Thompson

Post by Tom Thompson » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:13 am

Hey Frank - I'm stoked that you found your way here!

Sorry I can't speak on the physics involved, but the short and sweet answer to your question is you will get better traction in the rear using an offset as opposed to a straight axle truck, particularly at higher speeds. I can't think of any disadvantages to using them. For a more natural feel and the same amount of traction, take a close look at Radikal trucks. One ride on them and I was hooked.

Hope we can all get together soon for some cone ripping! I've been quite busy since the Athens race. I'll let y'all know when I'm freed up a bit....

Hope this helps Frank!