Canadian board for starting out?

A Forum For New Racers.

Moderator: Karl Floitgraf

Erin Riffel
Erin
Erin

Canadian board for starting out?

Post by Erin Riffel » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:58 pm

Well, here I am again, wondering which board, preferrably available in Canada to avoid outrageous customs charges, would be good for starting out in slalom?

I have a Landyachtz Mummy which is described as a GS board but I currently have Indy 158's and Krypto 65mm classic wheels on the board. I know this set up doesn't look anything like you slalom dudes out there are riding. Would the Mummy even rate as a slalom deck or should I be looking at a totally different deck> I gather than about 101 mm trucks are preferrable and wheels....well wide ones for sure...

....any Canadian on line shops that could help me get set up....?

BTW, I'm working on learning to pump thanks to suggestions that I have received here (special thanks to WesE).

later,
Airin

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:04 pm

Erin, the Mummy would definitely work as a slalom deck. I just think that it would be easier for you to learn pumping on a smaller board. To make your Mummy turn properly for you, just get the softest bushings you can find plus a couple of wedges. Check your longboard shops for these items. Also ask them if they would consider stocking slalom wheels and narrow trucks.

You should contact the person here that I mentioned, about a pair of those 100mm trucks if you haven’t already done so. He’s not a retailer, so there should not be any worry about tarriffs on them. Plus, they are excellent trucks for beginners.

Erin Riffel
Erin
Erin

Post by Erin Riffel » Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:35 pm

Yeah, I'll ask about those trucks for sure.

And, do you think the ABEC 11 Flashbacks or ABEC 11 Stingers shown here on the Landy site would work for slalom wheels:

http://www.landyachtz.com/basket_test.htm

thanks

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:12 am

Erin wrote:do you think the ABEC 11 Flashbacks or ABEC 11 Stingers shown here on the Landy site would work for slalom wheels:
They would both work for slalom but the Flashbacks are generally better for it, due to their larger urethane-to-hub ratio which is more grippy.