Slalom wheels, why so wide?

A Forum For New Racers.

Moderator: Karl Floitgraf

Erin Riffel
Erin
Erin

Slalom wheels, why so wide?

Post by Erin Riffel » Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:51 pm

Ok, so here's a newbie question for ya: I notice that the slalom boards have much wider wheels than say longboard wheels. What is the advantage of the wider wheels and typically where can I buy these type of wheels (any online stores sell 'em in Canada, do ya know?).
thanks

Mike Cividino

Post by Mike Cividino » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:48 am

Where are you in Canada? we`re always looking for new people to ride with. Not a lot of stores carry slalom specific gear up here. I get most of my stuff online from the States. Bozi boards is on the east coast and have great customer service. Hope this helps.

Erin Riffel
Erin
Erin

Post by Erin Riffel » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:03 am

Hi Mike,
thanks for your reply. I'm in Vancouver and just starting to take an interest in slalom. I currently have a Landyachtz Mummy with 65 mm Kryptos on it. I don't really know much about slalom but am pretty intriqued by the idea of trying to learn how to skate in this style.

So why the wide wheels for slalom then?

Mike Cividino

Post by Mike Cividino » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:34 am

I'm no expert, and there are many here that know much more but the basic idea is that the more surface area touching the road the greater the traction will be. Since slalom is all about turning, traction is paramount, whatever that means.

Erin, have you checked out yout local shops for wheels? I remember seeing some slalom wheels in a couple stores in Van the last time I was out there. Hopefully someone that knows a little more will chime in.

Henry Julier
Ick Sticks
Ick Sticks

wide wheels

Post by Henry Julier » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:13 am

Erin, longboard wheels tend to be narrower in profile because they slide easier and more predictably than a wide lipped wheel does. Since longboards are fun to slide on, it works out. But on a slalom board, as Civ said (whaddap civ) traction is paramount. The wider wheels have a lot more traction than a narrower wheel, and will take a lot more effort to slide. Sliding is bad in slalom unless you can really control it... lipped wheels like Avalons tend to slide very unpredictably in my experience, and can throw you if you aren't careful.

h

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:33 am

Hi, Erin. Welcome to the site.

In regards to wheels:
• Wider is grippier.
• Wider is more controllable.
• Wider is faster.
Wider is better.