Cost of equipment in Europe

A Forum For New Racers.

Moderator: Karl Floitgraf

Benjamin Felgerolle

Post by Benjamin Felgerolle » Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:56 am

Keith Hollien, your boards (especially the GS) looks nice. But it's impossible or super expensive to get Roe (or Turner or P.Pistol or all US gear) in France...

For some brands there is no retailer... So I have to make a direct order, then pay taxes, then shipping with UPS, then other taxes...
The deck in laminate that costs about 100$ for you in the US will cost at least 230$ for me in France... So imagine for the deck in foam... I'll probably end up paying 550$...

The only way I have to get those decks would be the following :

A friend in the US get the deck for me,
he sends it to me with US postal service (not UPS).

This way I'll pay the normal price + price for the postal shipping because there's no tax on mail... so about 130$.

The other way is for me to go to the US and get the deck :o) but it remains expensive :o).

< Topic split from another topic /Jani >
fun is not a straight line

Benjamin Felgerolle

Post by Benjamin Felgerolle » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:06 am

For instance, 4 "avalon" wheels, cost 39$ in the US...ok??

The price for 4 "avalon" in France is 70 euros, or roughly 77$...

And it's the same for all US gear... :o(

Joachim Leonhardt
LeonhardtART
LeonhardtART

We can do it cheaper ....

Post by Joachim Leonhardt » Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:30 pm

Just try our shop to solve your 'expensive' wheel problem - we hope that we provide best prices in europe.

autumn offer 4 Avalons 60,00 Euro

http://www.SlalomEuroRacing.com / sales@SlalomEuroRacing.com

Just a remark to promote slalom for everyone ;-)

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:23 am

Benjamin,

It's good that you realize just why equipment is so much more expensive in Europe. Here's my view:

a) Volume discounts
With small quantities no chance for European distributors or shops to negotiate interesting discounts.

b) Shipping
With the very small quantities being sold anywhere in Europe this year, the only viable transport is by air. Once quantities grow transport can be done by sea freight which would bring costs down when shipping a ton or more.

c) Import duties
Although not important it still adds to the costs.

d) VAT
Most countries in Europe have VAT at levels from 15 - 25 %. That is added on top of all other costs which the product has occurred since it's production. Take away the VAT and you have a much more reasonable price.

Support your local dealers! Those who sponsor races and activities in your neighborhood or country. Think before buying (I know you do, but I would encourage others to do so too).

Jani

Benjamin Felgerolle

Post by Benjamin Felgerolle » Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:48 am

Ok Jani, I know all of that.

But this topic has been created whithout my will ( perhaps because i was off topic in two of my posts wich have been redirected here).

I don't want to debate on prices, usa/europe...Euros dealers must have quite high prices for all the reasons you said...I know...
And i support my local dealer... :o) You know I bought my gear to etienne, and it's relly nice to have somebody like him who deals real slalom gear in France and gives advices. Thanks to him...

But All I wanted to say is that, for the same gear, the price in France is twice more expensive than in the USA...

Hunter Singleton

high prices

Post by Hunter Singleton » Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:14 pm

Bonjour! Je voudrias un slalom board, et quatre turner wheels? (I not that great at french!) If you want some of the stuff talk to the team captains or owners of the products you want (on this forum) and they will probably be happy to ship the stuff to you.