Forum software update phpBB 2.0.21->3.0.8

Organization and Administration

Moderator: Jani Soderhall

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Forum software update phpBB 2.0.21->3.0.8

Post by Jani Soderhall » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:50 pm

This is just to inform you that we are working on upgrading the forum software to a more recent version. More precisely: version 3.08.

We have it up and running in a temporary working environment and we are implementing small fixes to it. Primarily to have the same features as before (ie things I've implemented over the years, not so many) and then to add more functions to the standard version.

In the new version there are some really important updates. For example visitors can now upload images and attachments themselves and include them in their posts. Like that there's no need to first upload pictures to your own server (of PhotoBucket etc). Images and attachments can be placed "inline" ie as before, or as attachments. Attachments are presented as a list of links at the bottom of the post.

We are also looking into ways of integrating SlalomRanking.com with SlalomSkateboarder.com by allowing data from one to be shown in the other and vice versa. Such changes will come a little bit later.

The new version will go live in a couple of weeks, and it may be that the forum will be unavailable for a day or two while actually executing the update and migrating the data from the old database to the new one.

I'll keep you informed when it's about to happen.

/Jani

Rob Ashby

Post by Rob Ashby » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:32 pm

This all sounds good Jani, great progress being made.

Thank you for the update, keep up the good work.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:43 pm

The plan now is to close down the site for a few days around April 12-14 (approximately).
The forum update may be ready in a day, but just in case we end up having some trouble in the actual data transfer, don't be surprised if the forum is closed. Once the new version is up it'll work as before. It's just a version update, so pretty much all stays the same (same URL, login etc), but there will be some new features.

/Jani

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Tue May 10, 2011 7:30 pm

Sorry it's been slow, but I still aim to get there soon. Don't be surprised if the forum is shut down temporarily any day soon, probably next week. During that time you should still be able to access the front page, so I'll post some kind of progress message there.

The plan is to shut down for 1-2 days. There's quite a lot of processing to be done, so it'll take hours to run, then I want to do some tweaking to the live forum before I give you all access. Tweaking will certainly continue afterwards as my free time is limited and I can't take time out of my business day for this work, so you might see changes coming also once we're live.

/Jani

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Mon May 30, 2011 11:01 pm

Oh, I've been announcing this for some time now. Sorry, it hasn't come through. Just because it has taken so long please don't raise your expectations. Yes there are good things to come, but it's still just a forum...

Anyway, we should be closing down on Wednesday and then keep it closed for a day or two. Hopefully all is back up again on Friday, but I'm away Friday-Saturday so it may be down until Sunday, or be put up half done. Whichever strategy George (the guy helping me) and I choose once we're in the middle of it.

I'll try to post news on the front page while the forum is down, so check it out.

/Jani

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Re: Forum software update phpBB 2.0.21->3.0.8

Post by Jani Soderhall » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:12 pm

It kind of took forever, but the new forum software is up and running. For admins there are now so many options, you get lost in the various control panels. Definitely overkill, but something most of you will have to see anyway.

Many thanks to George P (nope, not a slalomer) for doing the actual work and implementing the features I wanted to see added to the standard phpBB forum software.

/Jani

Erik Basil

Re: Forum software update (soon to come) phpBB 2.0.21->3.0.8

Post by Erik Basil » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:44 am

Nicely done, fellas! Well worth it for the the functionality and the enhanced security and admin panel. Good stuff.
I ride fast boards, slowly.