Yes, Cuss words should be allowed unedited
67%
No, Cuss words should be "filtered"
33%

Total votes: 15

Glenn S

Cuss Words in a post

Post by Glenn S » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:20 am

Should cuss words be allowed unedited or should they be "filtered" in some sort of manner?

By filtered I mean that when a cuss word is typed in by the poster it is "output" like S***, or S___, or S#!+.

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:54 am

Glenn,

When you sign up for www.slalomskateboarder.com there is a checkbox for (I think it's) 13 years old. If you choose 13 years old or older and you are given a membership to the web site. If you are younger, then you are not able to progress.

So, we should be using words that a 13 year old or older would not be offended by.

I look at curse words like a unique color crayon in a box of crayola's. Sometimes it's ok to use it, other times, not.

It's interesting to note when I read about people who go, "oh, I just can't believe all the cussing and name calling on such and such web site!" Those are the people I worry about. To me, if you are a net user, you are bombarded with spam and stuff that you shouldn't be but you see it and you are surprised?

Huh?

I have no problem with your question, it's a good one but I don't want this to be an issue. I am more offended by someone using the word "fag", it's derogatory. People throw that term around and I'm sure some people here are gay or know someone who is gay yet it's used slanderously (is that a word?).

This is a real web site, I've made some rules, I had reasons for making these rules. The full name thing is to get to know you by your name. To make you stand behind what you say. Not slandering a group by a blanket statement as in "You faggot!" or "...all people from France are stupid" those things to me are worse than scat words.

Sorry for the tangent, I don't want any more rules than we have now. Everyone is being really cool about it all...

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:22 am

Well the reason I asked is because I saw a recent post that was edited and my initial response was that it should not have been edited in the way that it was. I did not remember that 13 was the age that was allowed to view the site.

People here post with their real names and take responsibility for what they post. Not just some alias posting anonymously. And they can delete their own post.

If there were viewers younger than 13, then as a parent I don't think I'd want mine to see such words and possibly think that it is ok to use such words in the wrong manner. After 13 I think a teenager is starting to know right from wrong and such words would not affect them in the same way as someone younger than that.

So then for sure I don't think that the post I saw that was recently edited should have been and someone should put it back to the way it was.

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:45 am

Adam,

I'll put my filter on http://slalomspot.com/yabbse/index.php and you send all those little kiddies my way.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:26 am

Don't make a big deal out of it. I only took out three or four words in total (+the entire title of a recent post which was only aimed for my reading).

I don't mind people being angry or having strong opinions. Different opinions is one of the reason why this site exists and is interesting. There are plenty of strong words that can be used but we have agreed to keep the worst stuff out of this site.

I could have done so without pointing it out though, but choose to be open about it.

/Jani

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:54 pm

Karl Floitgraf wrote:Adam,

I'll put my filter on http://slalomspot.com/yabbse/index.php and you send all those little kiddies my way.
Karl,

I told you what to do about that.

:D

www.slalomspot.com is a teen web site on skateboard slalom and it's a great place on the internet.

On any account, like Jani says, it's not a big deal, only a couple of the worst words are filtered. I think the ones he choose are good for filtering, besides, when they are used, you still know what's going on, we don't need to spell it out for you...

Cheers.

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:14 am

Hell..I'm a lesbian, trapped in a man's body! So if some one were to refer to me as a "Lesbian" I'd take no offense !! You is what you are
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Steve Collins
Harbor Skateboard Racing
Harbor Skateboard Racing

HOLY SHINOLA BAT MAN

Post by Steve Collins » Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:37 am

I'm not concerned with the mode of expression but rather the content.

In other words, is it interesting or not? Does the person have something to write about slalom skateboarding that is worth reading, even if it just manages to piss me off?

That's all.

Alex Walters

Post by Alex Walters » Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:00 am

A little colorful language never hurt anyone. I'm only 14 and I can't think of anything that anyone here could say that would offend me. I hear that kind of stuff almost everyday. Also I'm quite sure that there aren't too many kids near my age on the site and only a couple if any that are younger. I think they should be allowed but posts with overly offensive words or overuse of swear words should be frowned upon and possibly result in suspension or banishment if the situation requires such punishment. Basically I'm saying that they should be allowed but abuse of the freedom should result in a warning of punishment.