Any races going on it Ms, La, Al, or Tenn in 09

Slalom Skateboarding in the Southeastern U.S.A

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Demetrius zouboukos

Any races going on it Ms, La, Al, or Tenn in 09

Post by Demetrius zouboukos » Tue May 19, 2009 4:12 am

I live in Mississippi and I'm itching to go to a race but can't drive half way across the country (16 age) so I wanna find some in the states close by. Please help

Demetrius zouboukos

Post by Demetrius zouboukos » Tue May 19, 2009 6:51 am

Or flordia

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

Post by Lenny Poage » Wed May 20, 2009 5:29 pm

I think there is a small but active scene in TN. My bro Jeremy does a couple things near Louisville and I do a couple races in WV and KY each year, but that might be a bit north of your scope.
HOSS

Paul Graf

Post by Paul Graf » Wed May 20, 2009 7:37 pm

Demetrius,

St. Louis is just about a 8 hour drive & there is a contest THIS weekend. We would be glad to have you attend. Just head up Hwy 55 and don't stop untill you see the Anheuser-Busch Clydesdales. Then ask for directions.

Paul

Jeremy Coffman

Post by Jeremy Coffman » Fri May 22, 2009 4:00 am

I keep trying to get some of the guys in Alabama to try and put something on. I'll keep up the pressure on those guys.

Demetrius zouboukos

Post by Demetrius zouboukos » Fri May 22, 2009 10:25 pm

thanks guys. yeah ive been to st. louis before but my parents wont let me go that far. i might be going to statesville NC in november but who knows. there used to be a slalom scene here that ricky byrd was in head of but it basically died out.

Demetrius zouboukos

Post by Demetrius zouboukos » Fri May 22, 2009 10:26 pm

Jeremy Coffman wrote:I keep trying to get some of the guys in Alabama to try and put something on. I'll keep up the pressure on those guys.
please do because i have family in birmingham and my parents would let me drive over there every once in a while

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri May 22, 2009 11:07 pm

Demetrius,

You're 16, you can drive. I'm serious when I say this: take this weekend to scout around your town and close by and see if you can find a good spot. Good asphalt on a long slope in a parking lot is PERFECT. Look at office parks, church and school parking lots and industrial areas where plants are closed on the weekend.

Once you find a spot just tell everyone here on Slalomskateboarder and over on Silverfish you wanna race. You might surprised who all will come crawling out of the woodwork with cones, timers and ramps. Maybe there will only be two of you and maybe there will be 20. Who knows?

I am serious, though, when I say don't wait for someone to stage a race you can attend. If YOU find a good spot then the experience and racing talent will show up. It doesn't have to be sanctioned and advertised months in advance. Just a good ol' fashioned Outlaw one Saturday afternoon in the blazing summer heat. Bring a cooler, bring a towel to wipe the sweat and do it.

Demetrius zouboukos

Post by Demetrius zouboukos » Sat May 23, 2009 4:06 am

Wesley Tucker wrote:Demetrius,

You're 16, you can drive. I'm serious when I say this: take this weekend to scout around your town and close by and see if you can find a good spot. Good asphalt on a long slope in a parking lot is PERFECT. Look at office parks, church and school parking lots and industrial areas where plants are closed on the weekend.

Once you find a spot just tell everyone here on Slalomskateboarder and over on Silverfish you wanna race. You might surprised who all will come crawling out of the woodwork with cones, timers and ramps. Maybe there will only be two of you and maybe there will be 20. Who knows?

I am serious, though, when I say don't wait for someone to stage a race you can attend. If YOU find a good spot then the experience and racing talent will show up. It doesn't have to be sanctioned and advertised months in advance. Just a good ol' fashioned Outlaw one Saturday afternoon in the blazing summer heat. Bring a cooler, bring a towel to wipe the sweat and do it.
That is very true! Thanks for the help. I'll do that! I already have the hill.