SFCF, Ashland, KY Summary

Slalom Skateboarding in the Southeastern U.S.A

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

SFCF, Ashland, KY Summary

Post by Lenny Poage » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:41 am

There's a TON of stuff to say about this year's race, but it was a HUGE success. We had 20 racers and MANY first timers, some even for first time riding a freakin' slalom board!! It was awesome!! HUGE thanks go to my DHB bros Mark Nix and crew for building our start ramps and hauling them from NC to KY, arriving at 5:00am, then being on the hill to help us set up everything at 7:00. Awesome!!

OK- Podiums For Saturday's Race:
A-Class
1st- Marcos
2nd- Goad
3rd- Nix

B-Class
1st- Chad Hegerty (Stoked to see him take it since he eliminated me in the first round- :-) )
2nd- Ben Barkey
3rd- Jeremy Coffman

C-Class
1st- Kyle Smith (more on him in a bit!!)
2nd- Jason Rhoton
3rd- Darren Hodges

About Kyle, this kid freakin' rips!!! He stumbled on a TS session a couple weeks ago, came to the race, and freakin' won on a borrowed board!!! He and his brother Cory both took the slams of the day, got up and ripped it hard like nothing happened. They have the bug BIG and rip HARD!!! I want to send crazy props to Jeff Goad, David Harris and Dave and Evan Tolley. They all came together to donate the Limitless Stoke Award to Kyle and Corey Smith. Jeff gave the deck he skated this weekend while Dave, Dave and Evan donated components to hook these two kids up with their first slalom board!! Look for these two at bigger races! They'll be flying soon!!! They have the DHB STOKE!!!!

HUGE thanks to all the racers and those who helped out by setiing up, tearing down, announcing and all that "behind the scenes" stuff, especially the first timers (Stephanie Harris, Hunter, Kyle, Jacob, and Corey) and those who traveled a LONG way to race (Jeremy from across the state, Marcos repping the Texas Outlaws, Darren and Nix from Sk8sville, Burt from MN, and Goad & Jon from St. Louis Dagger-town).

Also, I have to send out HUGE stoke to the sponsors who really helped us out HUGE this year: Khiro, Sk8Kings, Seismic, Marc's Board Shop, Surf-N-Sun Shades, Poage Landing Days Festival Committee and Chic-Fil-A all of whom hooked us up A FREAKIN' LOT!!!

Check out http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/x17 ... s-heritage for an artcle and photos.

Sunday's Single Lane "Mule Farm" GS Results, Ramey St. Ashland

A-Class
1st Jon Seeger 12.970 Secs
2nd Jeff Goad 13.075 Secs
3rd Marcos Soulsby-Monroy 13.092 Secs
4th Jeremy Coffman 13.271 Secs
5th Evan Tolley 13.344 Secs
6th David Harris 13.364 Secs
7th Mark Nix 13.401 Secs

B-Class
1st Dave Tolley 13.618 Secs
2nd Kyle Smith 14.467 Secs (Also got Slam of the Day Honors- Slammed Hard)
3rd Lenny Poage 14.468 Secs (Yep! He got me by 1/1000th of a second!!!!)
4th Darren Hodges 15.295 Secs
Jason Rhoton (1st Runner-up Slam of the Day), Jake Royalty, and Corey Smith all races, but didn't finish the course.

Some Shots from Sunday:
GS Racers Group Shot

Evan Tolley GS

Goad GS

Jeremy Coffman

Marcos

Kyle and Corey Smith with their Limitless Stoke Award

Kyle Smith Recovering from the Slam of the Day

Here're Final Results with both races considered:
1st- Jeff Goad
2nd- Marcos Soulsby-Monroy
3rd- Jon Seeger
4th- Mark Nix
5th- Evan Tolley (Junior)
6th- David Harris
7th- Dave Tolley
8th- Jeremy Coffman
9th- Lenny Poage
10th- Darren Hodges
11th- Kyle Smith (1st Race, Junior)
12th- Jason Rhoton
13th- Corey Smith (1st Race, Junior)
14th- Chad Hegerty
15th- Tom Sloan
16th- Ben Barkey
17th- Burt Beavers
18th- Stephanie Harris (1st Race, Women's Div.)
19th- Jacob Ruffing (1st Race, Junior)
20th- Hunter Campbell (1st Race, Junior)
21th- Jake Royalty (1st Race, Junior)

Overall Podiums (Both Races Considered):
A-Class-
1st- Jeff Goad
2nd- Marcos Soulsby-Monroy
3rd- Jon Seeger

B-Class
1st- Jeremy Coffman
2nd- Lenny Poage (Worked for 3 years to get a plaque, so stoked!!)
3rd- Darren Hodges

Thanks to all involved! See you at Dixie Cup!!!
Last edited by Lenny Poage on Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HOSS

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Post by Pat Chewning » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:15 pm

What kind of helmet is Goad wearing in the GS?

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:45 pm

Lenny,

Congrats on another great race. Maybe ONE of these years you'll look at MY SCHEDULE JUST ONCE before scheduling yer damned town festival!!

Just for the record, I really like chicken. I like it so much I went to college just so it could be my mascot.

Pat,

Lenny went to a lot of time and trouble to put on what appears to be a great grass roots event.

And that's your one comment?

Thanks for fueling the stoke.

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

Post by Lenny Poage » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:10 pm

For the record, that was Goad's first practice run, as soon as he finished the run, I reminded him of the helmet requirement. He said he simply forgot while tuning is board, grabbed his helmet and wore it the rest of the day. I'll take responsibility, but the error was resolved as soon as possible.
HOSS

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Post by Pat Chewning » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:59 pm

No problemo....

I actually could not tell from the picture if it was an unusual helmet (sort of looks like one of those horse-racing helmets), or what. It really was curiousity, not an admonition.

You will notice that my picture (avatar) is also helmet-less. I am not the helmet police.