Slalom Outlaw at the "32" Hill - Oct 12, 2008

Slalom Skateboarding in the Southeastern U.S.A

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

thomas edenton

Slalom Outlaw at the "32" Hill - Oct 12, 2008

Post by thomas edenton » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:25 am

Located near Columbia, SC

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Racing will be a hybrid followed by a tight course.
Single lanes with limited push starts.
Start time @ 11:30 am with a 10:30 practice.

Helmets are required.

For event directions please PM Wesley Tucker or me. Hope to see you there.
Pics of the hill are here: http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/phpBB ... php?t=6170

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

Post by Marion Karr » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:26 pm

Hey...if we can take a little collection for gas we might be able to bring a start ramp.
Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS
Sk8sville, North Carolina

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

<br>LUCKY 13 TATTOO STUDIO<br>
www.luckythirteentattoo.com<br>
Ninja Bearings
www.skateabsolute.com

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:16 pm

Marion Karr wrote:Hey...if we can take a little collection for gas we might be able to bring a start ramp.
One like "The Thriller" Miller's?

Seriously, that would be great.

By the way, for the TIGHT SLALOM, I'm going to get out the tape measure and reset the exact same course I set two years ago for the Ga. Tom Memorial Friday Night Outlaw Held On Saturday Night from the Down Here Retreat

I think it will be fun to see how everyone has progressed in two years from that frigid March night. Maybe we can see Schaub run it too?

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Sure

Post by Marty Schaub » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:45 pm

Sunday the 12th looks good to my schedule.
La Costa Boy For Life

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Hmmm...

Post by Martin Drayton » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:31 pm

Hey, If my Green Card is through, it might be a reason to visit my wife's family who are emigrating to SC in August! If I come, I may have Paul Price in tow too...

Martin.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:40 pm

If anyone wants to come Sunday, PM or e-mail either me or Scabus Maximus, Tom Edenton. We'll shoot you an e-mail for directions.

Quite simply, we're playing it cool on the location. You can guess why.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:31 am

The Exit 32 Outlaw went off with perfect weather, a great hill and a good vibe. Tom and I want to thank Mark Nix out of Statesville and Ron Olsen from Atlanta for making the trip and trying out the "South Carolina spot." Scabus did a great job putting together a start ramp engineered specifically to fit in his Ford Explorer.

I set a hybrid course that was a bit on the tight side. To be honest it was unintentional. At 8:30 in the morning when I set the course there was a pretty stiff headwind. By 10:30, though, when RonO showed up, the wind died and it turned into a screaming wiggler. Although I kept the times, it was a jam with just the fast time being recorded. The 48-cone course had a .1 penalty with a max 7 DQ.

Ron: 19.567
Mark: 20.768
WT: 21.762
Tom: 23.466

After running the Hybrid for a couple of hours, we broke camp and moved everything lock, stock and start ramp to the other end of the street for the "tight straight hill" The logistics stopped the skating for about 15 minutes.

The tight slalom was, well, TIGHT. It's a course I set and I couldn't get through it. Out of the four of us, only RonO got a time of 12.567. The course was 44 cones with 6-foot spacing (6.5 centers) and a couple of 8-foot sections with bigger offsets.

It was a good session with the wind playing havoc with getting a line on making the hybrid and a steady tail wind making the tight course frantic. We hung out, picnicked and had a great time. The Edenton family showed up and brought the Gatorade. The odds are heavily in favor of us going back this winter . . . repeatedly.

RonO shot some great video. I'm wearing white, Mark is the black DHB tshirt, RonO is in the stripes and Tom is wearing gray. This clip gives a great perspective on both hills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFE0oaidOvI

Completely fun day.