Hi

Slalom Skateboarding in the Southeastern U.S.A

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Mac Newman

Hi

Post by Mac Newman » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:15 pm

Just wanted to inroduce myself. I am from Southern Louisiana, and got back on the board last June after over 15 years off.

I had to have a back surgery ( Feb 2006 ) and while I was at home recovering I caught the Bug again.

2006 was full of fun and pain, injurys and icu stays at the hospital(not skate related) has set back my "come back". But I won't stop again.

I have never done any Slalom, but am very exicted to get started (see post in New to slalom).

I am 32 yearold firefighter, father of 2 and husband to one.

Anyone out there in the BR area?

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:33 pm

Mac,

I'll be honest: you're all alone in the wilderness!

I'm in South Carolina. There's a really good crew north of you in Jackson, MS. There's a growing scene in Atlanta and Athens. Two of the fast guys, Keith Hollien and Bobby Mandarino, are in Florida. A couple of guys are also in Alabama. Eric I know is is Huntsville. Also, things are starting to pick up in Nashville. I don't know if you've seen it or not, but the world championships this year are going to be in Statesville, North Carolina. The Downhillbillies have a bunch up there who race.

Finally, there is a good scene WEST of you in Texas. There's a race in Austin this month and it'll draw skaters from all over.

About the best advice I can give is get a board, get some cones, get a spot and start skating. More often than not it'll attract the attention of people passing by and before you know it you've got two slalomers in the bayou. And then it'll just take off from there.

Good luck and stay in touch.

Laura Bissell
Laura Bissell
Laura Bissell

Post by Laura Bissell » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:07 pm

Wesley Tucker wrote:Mac,

I'll be honest: you're all alone in the wilderness!

I'm in South Carolina. There's a really good crew north of you in Jackson, MS. There's a growing scene in Atlanta and Athens. Two of the fast guys, Keith Hollien and Bobby Mandarino, are in Florida. A couple of guys are also in Alabama. Eric I know is is Huntsville. Also, things are starting to pick up in Nashville. I don't know if you've seen it or not, but the world championships this year are going to be in Statesville, North Carolina. The Downhillbillies have a bunch up there who race.

Finally, there is a good scene WEST of you in Texas. There's a race in Austin this month and it'll draw skaters from all over.

About the best advice I can give is get a board, get some cones, get a spot and start skating. More often than not it'll attract the attention of people passing by and before you know it you've got two slalomers in the bayou. And then it'll just take off from there.

Good luck and stay in touch.
ditto. There's a nice mellow concrete park in Hammond Louisiana that a few of the Jackson folks hit occassionally.

Other than that, if you want to get into slalom, we practice on Sundays. Sunday is the Board's Day.
i wanna go fast

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:45 pm

Mac, Good to know your out there.

My wife travels to BR often on biz and maybe one time I could go with her and we could catch a cone and a beer or something.

Lauras right Sunday usually the day of the board here in the Jackson scene.

Don't forget about Luna Slalom Jam in Ridgeland, MS (burb of Jackson). It's coming up on April 27th & 28th. Check the contest calendar on NCDSA for more info. IF your ready to race, that's cool, if you just want to come over to learn and help out that's cool too. Some of the best in the world will be here.

Holler at rbyrd3ATjamDOTrrDOTcom

Keep an eye on SkateMS.com also.

Mac Newman

Post by Mac Newman » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:29 am

Sounds good Ricky!

I am thinking of going north in April to watch the contest. I just don't think I will be ready to race........ I am still putting togather the scratch to buy a slalom rig.

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:37 pm

Mac you will have a real good time my friend, the slalom community is full of cool people with some awesome STOKE. Your Amigo Eddy Texas Outlaws,Pavel Skates

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Firemen Memorial

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:12 pm

Mac,

I remember reading you are a firefighter. I mentioned I live in South Carolina. Well, I'm in Summerville, which is for all practical purposes a suburb of Charleston.

I just got done watching the live coverage of the memorial for the nine firefighters who were lost Monday night. It was held at the North Charleston Coliseum and I believe it seats around 16,000. From the camera angles I saw the place was packed.

There were something like 700 Fire Chiefs and Brigade Captains in attendance from all over South Carolina and the United States. They reported hundreds more volunteered to come to Charleston yesterday to man all the firehouses while the City Of Charleston Fire Department firefighters could all attend the service. The floor of the coliseum was covered in blue and white police and fire uniforms. The FDNY's bagpipe corps played. According to reports another 100 FDNY firemen are here. CCFD's response to 9/11 was not forgotten and the FDNY wanted to repay the favor. No one could watch and not be touched by the scene of thousands of people attending this memorial and nine flag-draped coffins filling the front of the hall.

Anyway, I know you are a fireman and I wanted to let you know that no one around where I live right now takes any firefighter for granted.