Winston Salem Race/Session June 11

Slalom Skateboarding in the Southeastern U.S.A

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Winston Salem Race/Session June 11

Post by Wesley Tucker » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:35 pm

It's on!

The weather looks incredible, I got a room in Winston Salem Saturday night and I want to skate that incredible hill some more. I'll be getting into town late after skating Saturday afternoon with the DC Outlaws in Gaithersburg, MD.

Anyone who wants to ride cones Sunday, June 11, be at Centre Park Boulevard anytime after 10:00 AM. I'll plan on being there around that time if not earlier and start setting a course.

No agenda. If I feel like a single GS, I'll set a GS. If I want to run duals, I'll do something two up. I spoke to Karr Tuesday and he said his timer is a "GO." If he can't make it, I hope someone coming from Skatesville can remember to bring it. If not, oh, well, running cones is fun with or without a timer.

Tommy, Dex, William, Surly and the Skatesville crew: be there or be elsewhere.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:13 am

After waiting almost three months, I FINALLY got to run a GS course over a longer part of Centra Park Boulevard in Winston Salem. It was a GREAT session in the North Carolina summer heat. It's five hours since I got in the air conditioned car and headed home and my leather belt and Nikes are still damp. First real blazing day of racing this year (weather, that is,) and it reminded me so much of summers "back in the day" when we skated all day long all summer long in heat like that.

No wonder we all weighed 150 pounds!

Centre Park is, well, sophisticated "gnar." It's got a good grade, great length (the course was measured off at 714 feet) and no crown. It's not an exaggeration, though, to say it has an absolutely PERFECT SURFACE. The asphalt is a 10 out of 10 with no bumps, divets, chips, dips or cracks. There are man hole covers but they are flush with the surface and absolutely no problem to set cones around. The hill gets to be gnarly because it's so deceptive. That perfect surface just holds your speed with so little friction and you just continually accelerate with no interruption. You look at it and decide, "yeah, it's a nice little hill. Maybe it'll be good for dual hybrid racing." Then you stand on your board and take and drop and it's like, "whoa! This is gnarly!"

We ran a single-lane GS of 40 cones that started out a little tight but was ideal for getting some speed before hitting the big offsets. The real glory of the asphalt is that it carries your speed so well without any slip or drift. High balling it wide open is so makeable because you don't have to fear any blemishes in the road knocking you off line.

I could have probably set a faster course but everyone wanted to practice GS and spend some time yanking and cranking big offsets. So the course was hot at the top, cool in middle and opened up really well at the bottom. There were clean runs, some awful cone cargage and most were one or two cones hit. Fortunately for me as a course setter everyone did not hit the same cone over and over (except for Karr at the top of the course :-)). That tells me it was a good course without some arbitrary back stabber getting everyone because it was set somewhere out in left field.

Personally, I like to SLALOM, not run an obstacle course.

As a jam, we recorded everyone's fast time and only pushed it up if they posted a faster time. Everyone's fast time was:

Evan St. Claire - 30.118 sec
Wesley Tucker - 31.564 sec
Marion Karr - 31.954 sec
Dr. Tommy Harris - 34.592 sec
William Arnette - 35.956
Carl Crider - 37.841

We will definetely hit this spot again this summer. We learned today that Sundays work best as there is almost nothing open on the street and thus no traffic. We had no hassles, no cops, no nasty looks and no one cared.

That is a perfect outlaw spot!