The 1st Annual Downhillbillies Dixie Cup November 5,6, 2005

Slalom Skateboarding in the Southeastern U.S.A

Moderators: Jonathan Harms, Ron Barbagallo, Lynn Kramer, Maria Carrasco, Russel Cantor

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:32 pm

Wow,

Claude was on fire all weekend. Great to see.

Congrats buddy.

Joe

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Claude

Post by Marty Schaub » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:05 pm

Yeah Claude dupped everyone with the "I haven't practiced in weeks" routine and then ran the fastest run on Saturday. Civ was on the wrong end of that one I believe.
La Costa Boy For Life

Mike Cividino

Post by Mike Cividino » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:11 pm

thats the run marty. 1 too many cones by me. I wanted to chase Barker.

Chris Barrett
Skurfskater
Skurfskater

Re: Ottawa

Post by Chris Barrett » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:37 pm

Claude Regnier wrote:Marty we will host the 3rd Annual Dovercourt Open on July 1,2 and possibly the 3rd if I can get a venue for a nice GS or SGS for the 3rd.
I can't wait! Soooo stokeed.

MORE PICS:These are from Patrick's camera :D

http://lsv.stylesunknown.com/directive0 ... dixie.html

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:58 pm

<a href="http://members.aol.com/wtucker567/Dixie ... pdf">Dixie Cup pump Cone Fest Results</a>

The results are an 8-page .pdf that's around 1MB in size. Getting those three bracket spreadsheets to fit took some band width.

Mike Cividino

Post by Mike Cividino » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:18 am

thank you very much wes.

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

DHB

Post by Claude Regnier » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:02 am

Thanks Wes.

There are some errors but that is a regular occurence so don't sweat it.

Marty, watch out cuz next season I will PRACTICE and even be in SHAPE.

3 official practice days for 2005 other then that it was a contest sites. What helped me this past season was getting to races and having to put it on the line.

I blew a couple of big leads this past season and was not prepared to do it again. As much as I want Civ to move on I'm not quite ready to pack it in.

We have a good nucleus of Canadian talent coming I'm hoping that the Masters racing is just around the corner so I can still justify being a prescence and helping when and where I can.

You just go to Love this Slalom scene.
Many Happy Pumps!

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:43 am

Wesley Tucker,
On B-group, second round, race #4, you have CBarret vs RonO. It was actually WesE vs RonO. Think you could fix that on the PDF?

Also, in the “won by” field for B-group, on first round race#8 and second round race#4, it appears to me that these figures aren’t the actual differential in seconds. When I cancel out the DQs and then calculate the differences on each of these specific races, I come up with .574 for race#8 of the first round and .305 for race#4 of the second round. Do the “won by” figures symbolize something else instead? It isn’t so important to me that I need these “won by” figures be fixed, I just want to make sure that I’m following the PDF correctly.
Join Folding@Home for the good of humankind, or at least for your loved ones (whatever species they may be). It's easy, free and fun, too!

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:39 pm

Before everyone gets into a panic about results changing,

No one advanced Saturday who wasn't supposed to. That is not what a couple of minor changes to the published spreadsheets indicate.

In the rush to keep up with the racing, in a couple of instances I punched in "99" for a Disqualified racer's time. This is not the correct way to record a DQ with this spreadsheet. Instead, what needs to be done is you punch in "15" for the cone count (at a .1 second per cone penalty) and then duplicate the time for the racer who did complete the course. This then puts the DQ'd racer at an automatc 1.5 second penalty for the other run in the bracket.

Fortunately for all involved, no racer who DQ and got a "99" made up the 1.5 second penalty in the other run. If that had happened, then we would have a major malfunction. That did not happen during the entire day of racing. Does anyone want to argue that a racer made up a 1.5 second penalty on the Court Street course? I thought not.

Anyway, Marion and I went over everything Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday before publishing the results. Yes, in a couple of instances I made a typo and Shannon advanced instead of Ben and Wes didn't make it to the round of 8. I have all the ORIGINAL DATA on the lap top and went back to make sure of the results from Saturday.

Again, NO ONE ADVANCED ON SATURDAY WHO WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO. It was simply a case of the with the "99's" on the spreadsheet instead of the "15s", the results looked really, really weird.

You know, it's really strange. When you are entering data into a lap top at a folding table in the sun during a race and then you have three or four racers completely ignoring the rules and yammering in your ear about what the results were for a race two or three brackets back or whether or not they have enough time to go to the bathroom or change their wheels before their next race, all of a sudden a mistakes gets made.

Gee, I guess next time we'll have to have a rule about racers staying away from the timing table. Why didn't we think of that?

Mike Ohm

times

Post by Mike Ohm » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:49 pm

WesT, thanks for all of you hard work. Just one question. Did I really hit 15 cones during my 2nd race with Civ? Must have been a yard sale. Really doesn't matter since Civ clearly beat me.

As long as there is a scorers table there will always be someone peering over the scorers shoulder. The only way to stop that would be up to the minute posting of times.Just a thought. HMMM, Maybe a second laptop with a LAN.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:05 pm

Ohmster,

I remember that race. You hit 22 cones.

But I was feeling charitable (heh, heh, heh.)

Now, it is 8:00. I am OUTTA HERE to go to Columbia to watch Da' 'Cocks DO Florida.

Y'all talk amongst yourselves.

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Easy!

Post by Claude Regnier » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:15 pm

Wesley! Like I said there are always mistakes. Ohm you actually hit 23, EH and Thanks for the push!

Some finishes are simply recorded wrong. The wrong guy has the faster time.

Anyhow I know how hard you Marion and the rest of the crew worked.

I certainally know haw hard it is to try to keep up when races run that smooth.

It would be nice if that was a regular occurence.

Noah, thanks for the footage, I never actually get to see much. I may need another copy in case I wear down that tape.
Many Happy Pumps!

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

Timing At Dixie Cup 2006

Post by Marion Karr » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:43 pm

Mike and everyone else, we have already made plans and have in the works the development of a monitor station seperate from the Timing Table that will be full access to the riders. We are not completely sure if it is going to be hard wired or wireless but this monitor will be available for racers to check their results as they are posted.

Thank you all for your understanding as we learn how to better manage races such as this Dixie Cup.

Please direct any particular questions about timing at the Dixie Cup 2005 to me via email. We will look into each question as we are able to.

I want to thank Wesley for all of his work on the timing sheets and at the race.
Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS
Sk8sville, North Carolina

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

<br>LUCKY 13 TATTOO STUDIO<br>
www.luckythirteentattoo.com<br>
Ninja Bearings
www.skateabsolute.com

Mike Ohm

carnage

Post by Mike Ohm » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:47 pm

I know my run sucked but I didn't have a snowplow mounted on the front of my board.

Anyone got any footage? If you do, erase it.

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

Dixie Cup Timing and 2006 Changes

Post by Marion Karr » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:08 pm

First I would like to thank Wesley Tucker for his work on the Timing Table and with the spreadsheets for this past week's Dixie Cup. He has spent a great deal of time and effort on this and I appreciate the effort.

As the race planner I take full responsibility for any discrepencies and problems with timing. In particular, though we had a published rule that no racer was to approach the scoring table for questions regarding times, I personally did not inforce that rule properly. I believe this was the primary factor in any of the small issues that arose. I can assure you next year that will NOT be the case. As Tucker has said, he and I poured over the results Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, in depth and have determined that any of the again, minor issues, did NOT affect any of the riders adversely. NO ONE advanced that should have not advanced.

Regarding next year's 2006 Dixie Cup, the rule that racers are not allowed to approach the timing table for questions regarding their time will be STRICTLY inforced. As a beginning racer who is learning the importance of information as the race progresses I am aware of the riders need for such information. To remedy this from becoming an issue in 2006 we have already plans in the works to create a remote monitor station that will be open access to the racers to review their results immediately after they are posted. By the time you are back at the top of the hill you will be able to view spread sheet data that has been updated from your run. If you feel that there is incorrect data posted for your heat/time there will be a designated official available for you to request a review. This review will not take place until the end of that group's 1st or 2nd set of heats whichever was underway.. If a discrepency is found to be true then appropriate action will be taken at that time to remedy the situation.

The DHB worked very dilengently to put on an efficient, accurate, and fun race for all participants and will strive to improve upon these areas in 2006.

If you have any questions or concerns about the results, your time, or other aspects of your participation in this year's Dixie Cup please address all inquiries to me at karr@downhillbillies.org. I will personally review your requests and respond in as timely manner as possible.

Thank you again to all that made this 1st Annual Downhillbillies Dixie Cup such a success.
Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

Ninja Bearings
www.skateabsolute.com

Mike Cividino

Post by Mike Cividino » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:11 pm

ohm, I have both of our runs on tape. You hit 5-6 maximum on each run. I can send you the clips when I get a chance to upload them.

I have question about how the overall was awarded. How were the points handed out for the races? Just curious.

Chris Barrett
Skurfskater
Skurfskater

Post by Chris Barrett » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:06 am

I was approached by silverfish to write an article about the event from my perspective, and here it is..

sorry if I got name's and details wrong, I'm just a newbie. Thanks for giving me something worthy to write about Marion.

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/a ... 8212412299

had civ proof-read it after the fact (stuppppid me), so try to read it TOMMOROW after the silverfish people make the corrections... again, sorry and thanks.

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:55 pm

Chris,

Nice job!!!!

I noticed over last weekend how much your skating has improved just since Chicago.
Just keep practicing with the likes of Civ and Sydia and you'll be right there.....
It was great hanging out with all you guys....Thanks for the hospitality!!

Keep ole Fur Trapper in the mix up there too...... :-) You did great Patrick!

Later, Tod

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Race Day Review

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:31 pm

One thing I've been meaning to pass along but it completely slipped my mind until this morning for some strange reason. Here's a little bit of trivia for anyone who cares:

• We had 44 competitors at the Downhillbillie's Pump Cone Fest race on Saturday, Nov. 5.

• The dual courses opened for practice at 8:05 AM

• We qualified from 9:18 AM to 11:30

• We then took a 1/2 hour break while some of us kept working to seed everyone in the brackets.

• We made three brackets of 16, 16 and 12.

• Racing started with the first race in the "C" bracket at 12:10 PM.

• We wrapped up the finals of the "A" Bracket at around 4:10 PM

That's qualifying, a break and double-elimination bracket racing for 44 competitors in three different brackets in a total of seven hours.

Our course was a little shorter than some (37 cones) and times were averaging in the 15-16 second range. But we had dedicated cone marshalls, a pretty good relay of penalties to the timer and a laptop that got the data sorted quickly. We also had NO MAJOR MALFUNCTIONS or slow downs because of the timing system, weather, injuries or other Acts of God.

So, what's the moral? If you get your act together and don't stop for any nonsense, you can run a pretty good race with plenty of daylight left over.

Oh, and one other thing. It really helps to have the courses ready to do on race day. It seems that nothing can slow down an event faster than the course setters trying to get all the kinks worked out at the last minute on race day. That's the difference between getting under way at a decent hour and still standing around waiting for practice at mid-day.

Just a few additional points from the DHB Dixie Cup.

Brent

A BIG THANKS......

Post by Brent » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:36 pm

The Downhillbillies would like to thank the following companies, organization and individuals for helping make the 1st Annual Downhillbillies Dixie Cup Race a huge success. Without your support, we could not have pulled it off.

Bahne Skateboards
Bell
Bozi Performance Skateboards
Chi-ill Skateboards
Concrete Wave Magazine
Delicious Skateboards
Insect Skateboards
Juice Magazine
Khiro Skateboard Products
Landyatchz Longboards
Loaded Carving Systems
Longboards by Fatboy
Oust Bearings
Pavel Skates
Pleasure Tools
Pocket Pistol Skates
Purple Skunk
Radikal
Rayne Longboards
Sector 9
Sk8City
Sk8kings
Subsonic Skateboard Company
TailTap
The Factory Skate Park

Alan Sidlo
City of Statesville
Delaney’s Sports Bar
Downtown Statesville Development Corporation
Ed Lynn
Eddleman Reality
ExecQuest, Inc.
Oakbrook Graphic Service
Statesville Convention and Visitors Bureau

If your company, organization or your name has been left off this list, please contact Brent Griffith at brent@downhillbillies.org.

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

Post by Marion Karr » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:28 am

Chris,
Great article on Silverfishlongboarding.com. Malakai is a big supporter of the DHB. If you talk to him tell him how much I appreciate his support!

Brent, good job bro!
Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

Ninja Bearings
www.skateabsolute.com

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Looking forward to next year

Post by William Tway » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:38 am

Chris Barrett
Skurfskater
Skurfskater

Post by Chris Barrett » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:29 am

that pic pretty accurately captures what a mind-phuck that hill was... it just...keeps... curving!

Marion Karr
www.downhillbillies.org
www.downhillbillies.org

Post by Marion Karr » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:45 am

Chris,
I just read your post and saw this pic for the first time today. You are right in your description of the optical illusion that is Hobby Park Soap Box Derby Hill. The first board I road down that hill from the top was a Bozi Mad Bomber II with Seismic 180's and Avilas.
It didn't really look that bad...."heck, its mostly uphill" my eyes told my brain. 5 feet into the roll in and my mind was telling my eyes to go get f'ed. Wrong! That hill is steep. Really steep. It's crazy its that fast based on the way it looks.

Thanks again for all of the props and support. Look forward to riding with my new Canadian friends as soon as possible!
Marion Karr DHB
DHB WORLD HEADQUARTERS

HEADBLADE
<br>www.headblade.com

Ninja Bearings
www.skateabsolute.com