Slalom Skateboard Racer Profiles

Moderator: Jani Soderhall

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Holl, Gary - USA

Post by Jani Soderhall » Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:45 pm

Gary Holl - USA

Information from the former TurnerDownhill site, last updated in 2002, so some information may no longer be accurate.

Hometown: Palo Alto (Midtown), CA

When did you start skateboarding?
1976. I knew immediately that I would be skateboarding forever. Skateboarding: kept me out of trouble, had no rules, gave me an outlet for my energy, showed me that you can do the impossible, distracted me, allowed me to be creative, got me in trouble, kept me focused, kept me young, kept me in shape, allowed me to have fun, introduced me to new friends, injured me, made my life better, healed me and introduced me to Victoria.

What attracted you to slalom skateboarding specifically?
My wife, Victoria, and I went to the the Morro Bay race in 2001. I thought the racing looked like fun . And I could visualize myself enjoying the competitive nature of slalom racing; so I decided to add slalom to my other types of riding.

What was your most memerable moment from last season?
3rd place GGP race, behind Dunn (2nd) and Cross (1st). I had just started riding slalom with a good friend of mine, Erik Takaoka, he and I have been skating together since the late 70's. We thought we should just enter the contest and have fun. Now we are addicted to racing. Having my wife there made it that much more enjoyable.

Why do you ride for Turner?
Howard and Bob Turner pulled together so much in such a short time; new boards, wheels, trucks and accessories. Yet they still spent a great deal of time on the testing and development of each product . Input from everyone on the team is mandatory during the development of each product. The testing is rigorous and the results are perfection. Look at the team, look at the experience of some of the riders; Dunn, Gilmour, Levene, Drayton and Maysey.

Who are some of your favorite skaters to watch and why?
Having been a professional freestyle rider in the early 80's, I would have to say Rodney Mullen. Get the new Globe video "Opinion" and watch it, you'll understand why. Caballero, pure style. Dunn, Gilmour and Cross when it comes to slalom. Erik Takaoka has good style, I've been skating with Erik for so long. We both have the same attitude toward skateboarding. We enjoy all of it; riding street, skateparks, pools, ramps and of course racing slalom. I think ones style comes from the type of riding you do, how aggressive you are, and the people you ride with.

Any additional comments?
I want to thank my wife, Victoria, for putting up with all my skateboarding and for a incredible 17 years of marriage,and counting. I would like to thank Ed and Eric at Palo Alto Sport Shop for supporting my riding. I would like to thank Erik for inspiring me to ride, for riding with me for the past 25 years, and for being a good friend. My Mother and Father for all their support and love.

Visit Gary's personal website
http://homepage.mac.com/garyholl

2002 Race Results
FCR Series, La Costa
La Costa, CA July 20, 2002

- 3rd Pro Tight Slalom, Bob Turner Memorial Classic
Last edited by Jani Soderhall on Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sat Aug 23, 2003 2:35 pm

Gary's sponsors for 2003:

RoeRacing, 3dm Wheels, Etnies Shoes, ProDesigned, Seismic Trucks, PleasureTools Bearings, and Palo Alto Sport Shop...

His recently released 34" board from Roe.
Last edited by Jani Soderhall on Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gary Holl
Roe-Racing
Roe-Racing

Post by Gary Holl » Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:53 pm

the new Roe "HOLL31", "HOLL28.25" are now out along with the "HOLL34". You can view them at:

http://homepage.mac.com/garyholl
go to the "garys sponsor" page to view them.