Calling out the monoskiers

Off Topic Subjects
John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Tue Dec 17, 2002 8:29 pm

So Wesley and Bruce you guys should get some competition- I just posted something on a Monoski board about summer monoski racing....get out the word.

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Post by Andy Bittner » Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:12 pm

John's as right as he's ever been here. Parallel slalom skateboarding is THE perfect training for monoskiing, and there really is no other.

The primary technical physiological difference between skiing and monoskiing is that in skiing, the skiier turns by weighting the inside edge of the outside foot, while a monoskier weights the outside edge of the inside foot. This throws off skiers transitioning to monoskis, because weight on the outside edge of the inside ski is a major no-no in regular alpine skiing.

The obviously training solution then, for skiers interested in taking up a monoski (however small that particular population may be), is carving a skateboard in a pure parallel stance, where the weight is used in the same way as on a monoski. It was my extensive parallel skateboarding experience that allowed me to transition from skis to a monoski with a fair degree of ease.